Menu

A writing SUCCESS! (10 yo, pencil-hater)

shinyhappypeople

I cannot over-stress how much my 10 yo DD dislikes writing - especially (heaven forbid) writing assignments. School is just plain hard for her most of the time - especially anything language-based.  However, today she turned a corner.  She wrote her first paragraph, almost totally unassisted.  I helped with a suggestion of "Do you want to start the first sentence with "I spy....?" just to her going, and I helped (when asked) on the spelling of about 3 words.

OK, here we go.  The assignment is on learning to write a descriptive paragraph.  This is the first paragraph writing assignment in the curriculum (Write On).  The student is supposed to write a paragraphing describing something in the room.  We practiced together (me doing most of the heavy lifting) on three paragraphs yesterday.  I gave LOTS of modeling and support.  I was prepared to do the same today, but she grabbed the pencil from me (!) and came up with this description of her shoe (which she placed on our table so she could see it better).

I spy something on the table.  It is made out of fabric.  The fabric pattern is of flowers.  Everyone thinks its stinky but its not.

She rocked it!   :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:

(Writing it out here, the paragraph looks so small.  But, it's not small.  It's magnificent.  It's clear, and descriptive, with a dash of humor. She's come so far.  GO BABY GIRL! :)  )

Ok, so I may be hormonal or something but I got a little teary eyed here.  Congratulations!!!

I'm right there with you!  Writing has been such a battle, for such a long time that this small but significant victory feels HUGE.

Plus, it's a good, little paragraph.  Each sentence has a different rhythm, I can "hear" her voice (quirky, funny),  and she even throws in a conjunction at the end.

It's been almost 24 hours, and I'm still smiling.   :w00t:

My daughter can write.   :D  This is such a milestone for her.  I think we're going to park here (descriptive paragraphs) for a couple of weeks so she can experience lots of success with it, before we move on.