Menu

College care package

nevergiveup

I have a couple of friends who have kids in college and since it has been such a cold and snowy month, I thought I'd send them a care package.  I kind of have a theme (cold weather survival) and have things like: hand warmer packs, kleenex, snacks, cocoa mix and marshmallows, ibuprofen, cough drops,lip balm and hand lotion, and some small containers of V8 juice.  I have some home made cookies I will include.

Anything else I should tuck in there?

What is the best way to ship it--it is not going really far (in state)?  USPS, UPS, FedEx?  I don't ship things very much and have no idea.

Thanks for any ideas!

I would weigh the package and look at online calculators.  We almost always use the "If it fits, it ships" priority mail box from USPS.  It is usually cheaper than UPS (which has cheap rates for merchants, but is expensive for everyone else) and because I can usually get it tracked better through the campus post office.  

How about adding packets of EmergenC.  Do they have mugs for making the hot beverages?  How about some packages of Traditional Medicinals Cold Care tea with some honey.   

I almost dropped from sticker shock when I went to mail the first college care package!

What I have started doing is stocking up on the priority mail boxes that are a flat rate for whatever you can stick in the box, regardless of weight. Priority mail is a bit more expensive than first class or parcel post, but I am more confident of timely delivery.

Regarding contents, I'd skip the V8 and include a couple of packets of Airborne powder or something similar (orangey vitamin C immune booster stuff).

This is slightly off-topic, but if you have Amazon Prime, you can specify a different than home delivery address. The trick regarding a care package would be in ordering stuff that would naturally ship together. It’s obviously not as nice, but would save a ton of money on shipping.

You are so sweet to do that for your friends!

DS (at school in Indiana) emailed this yesterday: "My favorite part of the day is sitting down to eat my gummy vitamin and drink the tea you sent me. Thanks." We then had a funny exchange in which I told him that it gets even better: the gummy vitamins have a serving size of *two* per day.

Do your friends have mugs in their rooms for the hot chocolate? Maybe some paper cups or a mug for the hot chocolate would be nice.

I always use the flat rate USPS priority boxes, but all my care packages have to travel halfway across the country, so that's usually the most economical. I also like it because then I don't have to worry about weight.

They have the dried Lipton soup mixes.

My college kid LOVES that with some crackers. I save the little packs of crackers I get with soup at Subway or other places where I order soup. She loves the small packages of crackers because then she doesn't have a big sleeve of them opened and going stale. 

Thank you everyone!  I have read through all of the replies and appreciate all the responses.  I will ditch the liquid, look for some EmergenC or Vitamin C drops or suckers and Lipton dried soups and crackers.  I also think the magazines and decorations sound fun (I totally forgot that Valentine's Day is coming!).  I thought about socks, but the one boy wears size 15 or something and I have no idea where to even look for socks that large. 

I will pop into the post office tomorrow and find out about their flat rate boxes, but with all these good ideas, I might need to send more than one each!  Thanks again!!  I think I am having more fun with this than they will.

I am putting together care packages for my bother and sister right now. They include: homemade cookies and granola bars, pony tail holders, hand lotion, hand sanitizer, little mini applesauce, pencils, hot chocolate, marshmallows, cheezits, and crackers. I'm also throwing in a pretty scarf for my sister because I have it left over from Christmas.

as a note, if you are sending the packages in the same state be careful of those flat rate boxes.  They have to be really heavy to be worth it.  I just mailed my daughter 4 pounds of clothing shoes, cookies etc.  It cost me $7.35.  The same size flat rate box was $11.10.  USPS.com allows you to calculate a shipping price.  You enter the weight and zip coded and it shows rates for priority mail as well as flat rate priority mail.

I posted above that laundry detergent is always nice, but should also say a roll of quarters too!

Hubby teaches at Uni and we give all of the students who SI for him or those we have hired to help with our dd a big gift basket full of stuff. The hands down favorites are the gift cards, chocolate, caffeine (we also give chocolate covered coffee beans!), laundry supplies...and a roll of quarters. They can be used on campus for laundry, as well as soda and snack machines.

At my daughter's college, the cost of running the washing machines was included as part of the general fees.  I have no doubt she would have found some use for a roll of quarters had one shown up in a package.

I think your young friends are fortunate to have you in their lives!

Regards,

Kareni

as a note, if you are sending the packages in the same state be careful of those flat rate boxes.  They have to be really heavy to be worth it.  I just mailed my daughter 4 pounds of clothing shoes, cookies etc.  It cost me $7.35.  The same size flat rate box was $11.10.  USPS.com allows you to calculate a shipping price.  You enter the weight and zip coded and it shows rates for priority mail as well as flat rate priority mail.

I learned this the hard way today. I would have saved at least $3 on each package, but I didn't have time to redo it and the other box was slightly smaller.