Menu

Veritas Memory Songs: Silly and Annoying, Useful or Both?

aprilhwth

I know that kids learn a lot through song. But I find songs that I learned to be annoying and I hate recalling information through song. For instance a Bible verse to music is from Jeremiah, "The heart is deceitful above ALL THINGS!!! Who can knO W IIIIT!!!"

Do you enjoy the Veritas songs? Are they helpful?

They're okay. We have used the history program for several years now. As much as we enjoy it, we end up playing the songs about 2-3 times each school year. We just memorize the card titles in order and call it good. Occasionally I'll surprise them with having them recall a fact or one sentence summary about each card (usually with 2-3 kids taking turns).

Useful. Not wonderful yet not bad. They are catchy. Even though I'm between uses of the program I still find myself singing the songs occasionally. Looking forward to using them as a teaching tool again in a couple years with my son.

I think the Bible ones are the most useful. Even as an adult.

I've been wondering about these as well. Are the tunes well-known songs? Nursery songs or kids songs? Or completely new tunes? I couldn't get the samples on their site to work. I have the cards and we memorise using hand motions, I'm just not sure if I want to add the music.