Menu

The Worst Possible Start

After a one day good start with my (rather) difficult 10-year-old, I noticed something was really wrong with my right eye....it turned out to be a detached retina! After a major eye surgery and TWO WEEKS face down for 90% of the time, I am now able to get up. I did continue to school him as much as possible, but he has now gotten the idea that this is mostly play. I am so discouraged right now...I would appreciate any encouragement or ideas. I really missed being at the computer and reading about everyone's experiences. What a wonderful group to be part of. Sorry if I am kind of whining about the eye thing, but it was scary and difficult..

That sounds really scary and very difficult! Wow. I don't have boys or older children. So I'm not much help. But I wanted to send some support. Whenever we take a break I try to start back slowly. Add in subjects one day at a time. Start with favorites. If you need a longer break or to rest your eye I'd make sure you remember to take care of yourself! Good luck. Virtual hugs!

I'm so sorry! And glad you are doing well!  Starting back takes a lot of energy, from Mom. You can do it. Don't natter on about what you are or should be doing. Make a schedule, starting light . Tell him tomorrow or whenever that you are going to look at your schedule together and get started. Then do it. Even if it's one or two subjects and a field trip the first week. Be consistent. It can happen.  :grouphug:

A detached retina is serious and scary!  My dh has lost his vision in one eye...and nearly lost the entire eye...and wears a prosthetic lens from a detached retina surgery gone wrong.  

Take care of your eye first and foremost!

When you are positively out of the woods in regards to recovering from surgery, explain that he's had a nice break but now it's time to work.