Menu

The Worst Possible Start

After a one day good start with my (rather) difficult 10-year-old, I noticed something was really wrong with my right eye....it turned out to be a detached retina! After a major eye surgery and TWO WEEKS face down for 90% of the time, I am now able to get up. I did continue to school him as much as possible, but he has now gotten the idea that this is mostly play. I am so discouraged right now...I would appreciate any encouragement or ideas. I really missed being at the computer and reading about everyone's experiences. What a wonderful group to be part of. Sorry if I am kind of whining about the eye thing, but it was scary and difficult..

Sorry to hear about this, Kevin'sMom. Sounds like a rough start to things, and 10 years old is an age that takes a little longer to retrain. I suggest sitting down and having a fairly adult conversation, in which you listen to his expectations and spell out yours, and together you come up with a schedule that works for both of you. It is often easier to get buy-in if your child feels ownership in the situation, and you can help move him there by explaining some of the big reasons for doing things with a bit more structure. At the same time, give yourself a break. Real life happens. When it interrupts our plans, it is hard to get back to the way things were before the interruption. If you give yourselves a general framework (we will start school at 8, take a break, and finish at x time) and a finite list of things to accomplish daily, sometimes it's easier to establish and keep forward momentum.

:grouphug:  hugs and encouragement!

And GOOD for you, doing what you needed to so you didn't lose your eyesight! FAR more important in the grand scheme of things than an extra few weeks off for an elementary student!

Honestly, just start slow. Your first REAL week back, start with lots of reading / read alouds (or books on tape, for your continued eye recovery), a science and/or art project or field trip, and math. The following week, fold in writing and one other subject. By the third week, add in whatever else is missing.

Treat it like you and DS have been away from the gym for 6 weeks -- you would start with lighter weights and reps, and not your full workout, and slowly build it back into the workout as you rebuild your muscles.

GLAD to hear you are recovering well! Now be gentle with yourself and DS -- you can always go an extra few weeks into the summer to "catch up" if you REALLY feel you're "behind". Warmest regards, Lori D.

Work lists!!!

Really. Print out a list on Sunday of everything you want done by Friday. Be realistic. My format is a HST+ weekly grid, but before that we used one I made myself.

Monday have a sit down. Give him the rules. He can work as fast or slow as he wants - but it will all be done by Friday at 3 or the weekend is canceled and he'll work through it. He can highlight as be goes - but highlight means done and done well. Let him know you won't add anything to the list. Period. no "gotchas", no penalty for being diligent. Only you can cancel any assignment.

This works really well for my family. No surprises, clear expectations, stuff gets done, and a payoff for working hard. :-)