Menu

Grammar for children after First Language Lessons

Abbysfriend

In TWTM, they suggest using Rod & Staff for grammar once you've gone through FLL 1-4.  I am currently using Rod & Staff 5 with my 9yo DD, and we both love it!  She can read the lessons independently and then we complete the oral exercises together so I can make sure she is comprehending the new material.  I will then assign her the written exercises to complete on her own.  I like Rod & Staff because it includes grammar AND writing.  Hope this helps! 

but the grammar I am using I am not happy with at all.

What grammar are you using now and what do you not like about it?  That might help with other suggestions.

In TWTM, SWB recommends Rod & Staff grammar after FLL.  If you need secular alternatives, SWB listed these, in post #41 of this thread:  Warriner's, Stewart English, Voyages in English.

Analytical Grammar and Hake Grammar are also popular and frequently discussed on this forum. 

There are many to choose from.  That should give you lots to look at it!  :coolgleamA:

We are using the grammar that is part of classical conversations.  While I was impressed with it initially, it is not really working for us.  I looked at the Analytical Grammar website and this intrigues me!  This program seems to answer the question I am asking in CC Essentials.  Why so much?  When does it end?  LOL
Thank you for the feedback, I will look into each suggestion.  Blessings!

I second Junior Analytical Grammar.  We are using it in 5th grade and plan to continue with Analytical Grammar.  After the strong foundation my ds got from FLL, he didn't need tons of practice sentences every week.  JAG is short and to the point, and he can do it independently.  I like that the sentences are more challenging than FLL and it included diagramming, which was important to me.  We are also using the Mechanics book, and I think it is very well done as well.

We are doing Hake. I don't love it; DS doesn't love it, but tolerates it. It gets the job done, but in true Saxon fashion it is veryveryveryveryvery repetitive. I think we will look at something else for next year. It didn't have nearly as much diagramming as I wanted either. He's 1/3ish through, and they are just doing simple subject/predicate diagrams like they begin with in FLL3. On the plus side, it can be done very independently, though I do have to check that he reads the lesson before jumping into the exercises.