Menu

Academy One learning Tutoring software

Guest TopMom3

Guest TopMom3

Hello, I'm searching for a tutoring software for my kids. One in middle school, the other in highschool. I decided to look into a software program instead of a traditional tutor. There is so much out there as far as tutoring goes and I feel a little overwhelmed trying to choose the right one for my kids. I'm leaning more towards this Academy One program but would really like some other parent's opinions on the program before we sign on. Any opinions or personal experiences with the program? Thanks in advance!

Guest Teach4Life79
I’m a teacher who’s been teaching math to fifth and sixth graders in the Toronto area for almost ten years now. I love my job; I love working with children; and I love having the opportunity to share my passion for math to my students on a daily basis. The joy of being a part of a student’s learning development, of seeing smiles come to my students’ faces as they successfully solve a math problem they didn’t understand before and as they learn a new math skill is something that I rarely encounter in any other part of my life. And I truly would be very sorry if this joy was ever taken away from me. It’s also a reward for me that I can help young students learn the fundamentals of their math skills. I teach skills like division and basic algebra and geometry, which are math skills that not only have real application to the students’ lives outside of school, but are also incredibly important for the success of the students in their later math courses. The truth is that children will never be able to understand more complex algebra or be able to complete more complex problem solving if they don’t understand basic math skills at an early age.

And in my opinion, this can make it very tricky when a student skips a semester of math, which is sometimes what happens in today’s education. Math skills, especially elementary skills like long division and multiplication, needs to be practiced in order to be truly understood. And when a child is in the middle of learning these sorts of fundamental skills, they really need to practice these skills on a daily basis. 

That’s why a break in a student’s math learning can be so consequential. From my experience as a teacher, I’ve seen many of my students really excel in class. I’ve seen the pace of their learning quicken day-by-day and month-by-month and I’ve seen their ability to solve more complex problems grow, sometimes exponentially. (I’m always amazed at how quick a young mind can pick up new concepts!) 

But then, these same students take a semester break from math. And, unfortunately, after that break, I see many of these students struggling with what they understood or could do so easily before. As a teacher, it’s heartbreaking to see a student struggle to return to their previous skill level and, really, in times like these, the frustrationis written all over their faces. And make no mistake about it – these are the kind of times in a child’s life that can take a toll on their self-confidence and can have lasting 

consequences to their academic success.

That’s a major reason why, when I hear that any student of mine will be taking a semester break from math, I always recommend to the child’s parents that the student continue with their math studies outside of school. Last year, a colleague of mine recommended AcademyOne Learning as a tool children could use to continue their math studies outside of the classroom. It’s a company I have regularly recommended ever since. 

AcademyOne Learning provides software-based math programs for almost all ages of students, and one of the really great things about their tutorials – and one of the reasons why I recommend them so much – is that the difficulty level of their tutorials is self-adjusting based on each student’s pace of learning. That means that any student who’s practicing math on their own will always be challenged with new questions and that, furthermore, these new questions will always fall in line with the student’s level of  understanding. As many parents and teachers know, children can oftentimes become bored with studying on their own, which harms motivation and progress. But, I really think AcademyOne designs educational resources that succeed in keeping students both interested and motivated.

Drawing from my professional experience as a teacher, I’ve seen students useAcademyOne’s tutorials while taking a semester break from math and they’ve returned to my classroom with math skills not just equal to where they were before, but in fact better than they were before. That kind of concrete evidence pointing to the success of AcademyOne Learning’s tutorials is hard to argue with and it’s why I remain confident in recommending their programs to my students and their parents.