Menu

8th Grade history help needed....

Chris in PA

Hi everyone,

My dd informed me today that she really wants to do history by herself next year. She currently does history with her 4th grade brother. We are using MOH vol I and love it! I really wanted to use MOH vol 2 next year with the 2 of them but she is desiring more independence (which is a good thing). So,

1. Could she do MOH on her own?

2. Would there be another suggestion for her to use on her own?

I really want to stick with the early church, middle ages time frame if I can because we have not covered this yet.

Thanks

:)I do not use MOH... but I bet she could. Maybe have a book list ready for her and have some writing assignments be geared towards what she is learning....

I bet you could make it work.... but agian, this is coming form someone who has only looked at MOH not used it.:)

You could look at Winter Promise Quest for the Middle Ages (it uses MOH 2 as its spine) or get other book ideas from VP and SL catalogs. Or we are looking at using Diana Waring next year. At a minimum she could listen to her audio tapes as an addition to MOH 2.

HTH

Cynthia

I am in exactly the same place: 8th grade dd, Middle Ages, independence! I was thinking I'd use History Odyssey for her, but a recent thread here made me want to do some more research. MOH is what I'm leaning toward now...unless I ultimately decide to do TOG (what we're using this year). If I do TOG, I will prepare the entire year for her before we start -- all 36 weeks of assignments in an independent, checklist form. But MOH looks good! :)

My 6th and 7th graders are doing history independently. They are basically using Sonlight but not following the schedule. I have made them a checklist style assignment form and they go ahead and do the reading themselves. I sometimes have them tell me what they've read (which they tend to do naturally anyway), and then on Fridays we have Project Book day where they work on putting together project pages with maps, writing and pictures on the topic they are studying. It's working well here. Just keep your dd talking to you about what she's learning.

HTH

I don't think MOH is really enough for 8th grade. I'm planning on using History Odyssey next year because it encorporates writing, literature etc all in a format they can do on their own. I would recommend something like that and have her read MOH on the side to have more of a Christian focus. I can't add MOH because we'll be doing Modern history but I would be doing that if there were an MOH available for that time period.