Menu

dd is bored with LP I

Stirsmommy

I have to agree it isn't a lot of fun. She is 12 and although she loves the idea of latin, she doesn't love latin primer. I got the DVD's and although it makes it easier for me to understand it is still dull. Is there something that won't make latin seem like a chore that is good for a girl who is visual and a bit mature for 12? Would lively latin be to babyish for her?

Melissa

Opinions vary greatly on different Latin programs. What I'm about to say is strictly *MY* opinion. I don't believe the Latin Primer curriculum is a good fit for a 12yo+ crowd. It's best for younger kiddos. And it's dry dry dry.

Lively Latin, which I LOVE, is also not a program I would recommend for a 12yo. It's a program best used with younger elementary students.

These would be my top choices for a 12yo:

Latin Prep (Galore Park publishers)

Henle Latin (excellent instruction, but can be somewhat dry)

Latin Book One (old, out of print text, but 50+ lessons with answers are available free online)

There are, of course, other appropriate highschool Latin texts that might be a good fit. These are just the ones I've used and liked and feel safe recommending.

:)Susan