Menu

HWT Pre-K My First School Book

mamamindy

Do I need the teacher's manual?  I hadn't planned on anything official with DS, but he wants to "do school" like his big sisters.  Since I'd planned on using HWT (and have it and teacher's guide already) I saw this on sale and got it for him.  How necessary is the teacher's guide that goes with it?  Like I said, I have the K manual… but didn't even think about getting the one for Pre-K.  I also got the CD since it seems like it will be fun and he just loves music.  I do already have a few of their other manipulatives, the wood pieces, the chalkboards, tiny chalk, I think that's it.

I used this book with ds, when he was 3, very informally to follow along with my dd during her k year while we were doing mfw k and HWOT was more a supplement for following along with mfw k handwriting instructions.  This year, however, I wanted to use HWOT a bit more formally.  So we got another pre-k book and I already had all the manipulatives so we got the book used for a good deal.  Turned out to be a great investment.  I love that it has lesson plans and I feel like the method for teaching kids who are ready to learn the alphabet but might not necessarily have the fine motor skills to print out their alphabet is great and it breaks down how to write a letter in a way that's hard to explain for an adult who already has been writing letter for years :)

Can I ask where you found it on sale? I've considered buying it, my dd (almost 4) gets very frustrated trying to write, her fine motor skills just aren't there yet. But she's known all her letters/letter sounds for a couple of years, reads some, and WANTS to be better at letter writing. I've already bought the K workbook and manual, but I wonder if that's pushing too fast and whether it's worth getting the PreK manual even though she's already reading.

I only have the student book: My First School Book, and I got it as a "damaged" book (maybe it had been opened - it's not damaged) from Rainbow Resource.  I think I will need the teacher book (which is like $25, I believe) to get the most out of it, however.  I started DD2 with the K book around 5yo (I also found the teacher book to be very helpful) along with the wooden pieces, little chalkboard and tiny chalk.  It helped us a lot.  I don't think she was delayed in any way, she just wasn't as advanced as DD1 in fine motor control.  HTH

• 8 months later...

The teacher's guide has a  LOT of meat to it. I honestly would not know what to do with the My first school book without the teachers guide other than color/draw. I like the probing questions and extra stuff they add in there. 

My First School Book has been perfect for my son who struggles with fine motor skills. We are using it for K right for this first semester and then move on to the regular K program next semester. We are doing several lessons a day given his age. 

• 4 weeks later...

HWT is the bulk of our pre-k curriculum. We're doing Writing and Readiness (with the My First School Book) and I am following the manual pretty strictly. I didn't find much benefit in just doing the workbook without the weekly schedule outlined in the back of the book.

Some days we work ahead, but I really like how it's laid out.

Like others said before, I didn't understand the My First School Book at all until I read through the teacher's guide. It's really useful! I've found the best prices generally to be on the hwt website. :-)