Menu

(edited) community college question

quark

We are not in California so can't speak for the situation there, but dual enrollment, at both CC's and four year universities have worked very well for my advanced sons. My older son (17) did dual enrollment at a four year and is now a junior math major at his current university, and my younger (14) is currently enrolled as a fulltme dual enrollment student in his second year at a CC. We have had great experiences at both.

Is the CHSPE anything like the GED? I ask because we were warned away from the GED from all of the schools we talked to when older son was applying. I was unsure when we began the application process of how my son should apply as he was younger than usual and, though he had more than enough credits, he didn't have four years of high school. I considered the GED. All of the schools we talked to told us not to have him take it. It was not looked favorably upon, and any courses taken or finished after the test would be considered post-secondary and not high school which could affect incoming freshman/transfer status depending on how many there were.

(FYI I also thought about having him apply for early admission as a highschool junior since he would have had three years of high school time at the time of matriculation. That was also frowned on. In the end, most of them told me that since he was a homeschooler with enough credits that I should just "graduate" him and apply as a regular incoming freshman. That's what we ended up doing.)

We are not in California so can't speak for the situation there, but dual enrollment, at both CC's and four year universities have worked very well for my advanced sons. My older son (17) did dual enrollment at a four year and is now a junior math major at his current university, and my younger (14) is currently enrolled as a fulltme dual enrollment student in his second year at a CC. We have had great experiences at both.

Is the CHSPE anything like the GED? I ask because we were warned away from the GED from all of the schools we talked to when older son was applying. I was unsure when we began the application process of how my son should apply as he was younger than usual and, though he had more than enough credits, he didn't have four years of high school. I considered the GED. All of the schools we talked to told us not to have him take it. It was not looked favorably upon, and any courses taken or finished after the test would be considered post-secondary and not high school which could affect incoming freshman/transfer status depending on how many there were.

(FYI I also thought about having him apply for early admission as a highschool junior since he would have had three years of high school time at the time of matriculation. That was also frowned on. In the end, most of them told me that since he was a homeschooler with enough credits that I should just "graduate" him and apply as a regular incoming freshman. That's what we ended up doing.)

Thank you for sharing Butler. No, the CHSPE is not like the GED. There is some information here about the differences between them.

(edited for privacy)