Menu

Dallas to Waco

Miss Marple

We are scheduled to interview at Baylor in Waco.  The price difference in flying into Dallas vs. Waco is $250 (more to fly into Waco).  I'm contemplating getting a car at the Dallas airport and driving to Waco.  For those who know the drive, is it an easy trip?  I can schedule it so that we have plenty of time.  But if it's bumper to bumper traffic, I think I'd prefer to fly.

If you're used to driving on freeways, it probably wouldn't be bad, depending on the time of day

What about flying into Austin and driving up? Straight-shot freeway from Austin to Waco. And if you did that, and you need to spend a couple of nights in the area, I have three guest rooms and two guest bathrooms. :-)

I second the vote to fly into Austin and drive to Waco.  I live in Austin and commute to Baylor three days a week. You can take Hwy130 up from the airport to join in IH35 and miss any rush hour traffic. There is some construction about halfway that is a pain, because you have to slow down from 70mph to 60mph.  

As long as you are not trying to get out of Dallas during rush hour, that drive is also fine, but also has a bit of construction. I'm not sure any major highway in Texas is NOT currently under construction. Either drive will take about 2 hours.

On a related note, is this a child interviewing to attend Baylor or someone interviewing for a job at Baylor?

Yes, there is a shuttle service called the Waco Streak, but in my opinion it is pretty pricey unless it is just one person traveling on their own.

http://m.waco-streak.com/

It usually takes about 1:45 for us to drive from DFW to Baylor, but traffic can get pretty congested. It actually is not a bad drive and everything is pretty clearly marked to Waco.

My hubby teaches there so send me a pm if you need extra details:)

I second the vote to fly into Austin and drive to Waco.  I live in Austin and commute to Baylor three days a week. You can take Hwy130 up from the airport to join in IH35 and miss any rush hour traffic. There is some construction about halfway that is a pain, because you have to slow down from 70mph to 60mph.  

As long as you are not trying to get out of Dallas during rush hour, that drive is also fine, but also has a bit of construction. I'm not sure any major highway in Texas is NOT currently under construction. Either drive will take about 2 hours.

On a related note, is this a child interviewing to attend Baylor or someone interviewing for a job at Baylor?

Yes, my son is interviewing for several scholarships for Baylor.  He will need some additional $$ in order to go to Baylor.  He has a good merit scholarship, but that makes it twice the price of our state school.  We need to bring that down a bit because we will have 3 in college next fall :)

If you're used to driving on freeways, it probably wouldn't be bad, depending on the time of day

What about flying into Austin and driving up? Straight-shot freeway from Austin to Waco. And if you did that, and you need to spend a couple of nights in the area, I have three guest rooms and two guest bathrooms. :-)

Oh, I had not thought of that!  I'll check the prices to Austin.  We have to be at Baylor on Friday and Saturday.  We will have to arrive on Thursday evening and I think we'll leave on Sunday morning.  I thought we might try out a church service on Sunday, but I'll have to check the flight schedules.  Thanks for invite :)  

If your flight on Thursday arrives at a time when you would be heading south from Dallas or north from Austin between 4:00-6:30, you would be better off finding a restaurant and eating supper before attempting the drive.  Outside of those times you will be fine :001_smile:   Oh, and I definitely wouldn't recommend flying in or out of the Waco airport, ever.

Well, shoot.  Flying into Austin is twice the price of flying into Dallas and about $80 more per person than flying directly into Waco.  So at this point do you think it is worth the extra $250 to fly into Waco?  

How much extra would it be to fly into Killeen?  It is only about 45 minutes south of Waco.

Well, shoot.  Flying into Austin is twice the price of flying into Dallas and about $80 more per person than flying directly into Waco.  So at this point do you think it is worth the extra $250 to fly into Waco?  

Bummer.

No, fly into Dallas.

But if you want a day trip, come on down. :-) We can do lunch. Or meet in Salado and do lunch. :-)

If your flight on Thursday arrives at a time when you would be heading south from Dallas or north from Austin between 4:00-6:30, you would be better off finding a restaurant and eating supper before attempting the drive.  Outside of those times you will be fine :001_smile:   Oh, and I definitely wouldn't recommend flying in or out of the Waco airport, ever.

OK, that really helps. I was looking at arriving in Dallas at 4:30 lol.  Now I will try to book an earlier flight.  Thank you!

is the flight into Dallas flying into DFW or into Love Field?  Other than the traffic in Dallas, I prefer the interstate drive from Dallas to Waco than the drive from Austin to Waco.

Really? It's a straight shot up I-35 from Austin. Of course, I live in Round Rock, so I don't have to go *through* Austin, so maybe that colors my preference. :-)

Really? It's a straight shot up I-35 from Austin. Of course, I live in Round Rock, so I don't have to go *through* Austin, so maybe that colors my preference. :-)

I don't know why, but it is the drive through the Temple area that is my least favorite part of the trip between San Antonio and Dallas.

If the price differential is $250 per person, rent a car. Story ends there...

Frequently, if the destination or orgin airport is a "hub" (like DFW Airport) it costs more to fly in or out of there, than a nearby city.

However, in this case, the differential says make your destination DFW Airport.

It won't take you long, as long as you don't begin your trip in rush hour.

GL on the scholarships at Baylor!

$250 total, or $250 per ticket?

We fly AA tens of thousands of miles per year. One of our more regular runs is a weekly between Tech (Lubbock) and DFW. Before that we were doing weekly runs between Fort Hood (or Austin) and DFW. I may be biased because I always prefer flying to driving, but those flights were definitely preferable to making the drive. We had enough weather or mechanical cancellations and mis-connects at DFW that we did have to make that drive from time to time.

Between leaving security, collecting bags (if necessary), taking the shuttle to the rental car area (off-property), getting the car contract and hitting the road ... it was a giant pain in the butt. Plus it's written into Texas' Constitution that all highways everywhere must be under constant construction, so there's that. And there's the whole top worst bottlenecks in the country are in Texas thing, so timing of your drive will be one more factor to plan around. Even with a good deal ... car rental for two days, a tank of gas, and parking fees at the school might save a little bit money but may not be worth it in terms of added stress. But one benefit is being able to come/go on your own time schedule, and having the car to use around Waco - so there's that.

Me, I wouldn't do it to save $250. I wouldn't do it to save $500, either, but I think plenty of reasonable people would. :)

Enjoy your visit, and best of luck with the scholarships!

Oh, and one other thing. Whenever we fly back home to Waco we fly to DFW and drive from there. Otherwise, by the time you have sat around at DFW waiting for the connection, boarded and flown to Waco? You could have been there with time to spare:)

Also, the plane you fly on from DFW to Waco is a small one, so the trip isn't the most pleasant!

Other things to consider: if you are planning to rent a car anyway (say, if you flew to Waco) the hours the rental car places are open at the Waco airport are not always conducive to arriving there after 5 pm. In fact, if you arrive at night at the Waco airport it is not uncommon to find the security guard and a phone with Taxi numbers:)

If you do arrive at DFW in the late afternoon, you just might consider a stop of an early dinner somewhere along the first leg to avoid traffic...but honestly, the traffic there coming from DFW is just NOT that bad most of the time.

OK, I can get a flight landing in DFW in the early afternoon.  Either way, I will be renting a car whether in Dallas or Waco.  So the savings is the difference between the flights to DFW and Waco.  I want a car to drive around Waco so we can see the city a bit.  Any suggestions on churches to try out on Sunday?  I would love to find a decent Bible church (I know those can vary greatly).  Right now we attend a Baptist church because it is the closest match for us :)  I listen to the Denton Bible Church messages online if that helps...

OK, I can get a flight landing in DFW in the early afternoon. Either way, I will be renting a car whether in Dallas or Waco. So the savings is the difference between the flights to DFW and Waco. I want a car to drive around Waco so we can see the city a bit. Any suggestions on churches to try out on Sunday? I would love to find a decent Bible church (I know those can vary greatly). Right now we attend a Baptist church because it is the closest match for us :) I listen to the Denton Bible Church messages online if that helps...

There are lots of churches here, especially Baptist of course.

But you really might want to check out University Baptist Church, as it tends to have a HUGE population of Baylor students. They are younger, tend to be 'cooler' with live music. In fact, many famous and semi-famous Christian bands play there and one has gotten their start there. There is a large support group for Baylor students, including study groups and the like. You even see groups of kids on campus together, just from UBC.

It might really help your son to have something like that, an extra support system. Of course, I suppose many churches will have a bit of that but UBC is a bit beyond.

http://www.ubcwaco.org/

I also attended Baylor and this was a popular choice even way back when the DC band was starting out.

There are lots of churches here, especially Baptist of course.

But you really might want to check out University Baptist Church, as it tends to have a HUGE population of Baylor students. They are younger, tend to be 'cooler' with live music. In fact, many famous and semi-famous Christian bands play there and one has gotten their start there. There is a large support group for Baylor students, including study groups and the like. You even see groups of kids on campus together, just from UBC.

It might really help your son to have something like that, an extra support system. Of course, I suppose many churches will have a bit of that but UBC is a bit beyond.

http://www.ubcwaco.org/

I also attended Baylor and this was a popular choice even way back when the DC band was starting out.

Thank you!  That sounds perfect.

I do this drive all the time (I live in Fort Worth and my Mom lives in College Station, we meet in Waco a lot), and it's a super easy and pretty pleasant drive.  Getting out of DFW will be a bear (traffic is nuts right now), but the rest of the drive is easy peasy.  If you'd like, you can PM me and I can give you my cell # in case you want a better route out of town than GPS give you! 

And I agree, you MUST stop in West, TX at the CzechStop gas station for kolaches.  They are fabulous.  :)

Oh, I forgot, from my house in N Fort Worth, I can make it to Waco in 1.5 hours.  From the airport, maybe 2 hours.  3 hours would give you PLENTY of time. 

Great!  I've found a flight that puts us in around 2:30 in the afternoon.  We will just have carry-on luggage so we should get out quickly.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to third the suggestion of stopping in West for kolaches!  I will keep my fingers crossed that your son gets more money to attend Baylor.  I teach until 5:30 on Thursdays so will most likely already be heading home when you come down. Depending on which weekend you are coming however, I may be there on Friday as I have to teach my adviser's lecture class several times in Feb and March when he is out of town. PM if you want to try to meet up.

Just realize that I-35 splits through Dallas/Ft. Worth. 35W goes through Ft. Worth, 35E through Dallas. I've been gone decades, but it was confusing to me at first.

Locals can tell the best route out, DFW airport is about halfway between the two and on the north side of the metroplex. Also, rush hour there is awful..... so don't go through then.

Just wanted to third the suggestion of stopping in West for kolaches!  I will keep my fingers crossed that your son gets more money to attend Baylor.  I teach until 5:30 on Thursdays so will most likely already be heading home when you come down. Depending on which weekend you are coming however, I may be there on Friday as I have to teach my adviser's lecture class several times in Feb and March when he is out of town. PM if you want to try to meet up.

We will be there the last weekend of January.  I'll PM you once we see what the schedules are for the weekend.  Thanks, that would be so cool!

One of my former tutorees goes to Baylor and is very active in her church. I can ask her which one it is if you would like.

I'd love to know.  We are planning to go to church on Sunday and take a later flight home.  Someone above mentioned a big church where many students go.  I thought we might try that one this week.

Cynthia, I haven't been keeping up with the College board lately but wanted to congrat you and your last guy!  I also saw about your sweet kitty, and left you a note there. : (  Sniff, sniff!

I have a friend who drives that route regularly from Irving (the burb east of DFW airport) and she *always* heads south on I-35W out of FW, not I-35E.  The traffic flows much better.

You are likely to hit congestion on your way south in the Hillsboro/West area, but getting out of DFW you should be fine, especially at that time of day.  I'd love to meet up with you in person, but I know this is a "git 'er done" trip for your family.

Best wishes on the scholarship processes.  Dd is applying for grad schools, and one of the programs she's interested in is at Baylor, although she'd love an excuse to live on a coast.  :laugh: 

Good seeing you again!

Cynthia, I haven't been keeping up with the College board lately but wanted to congrat you and your last guy!  I also saw about your sweet kitty, and left you a note there. : (  Sniff, sniff!

I have a friend who drives that route regularly from Irving (the burb east of DFW airport) and she *always* heads south on I-35W out of FW, not I-35E.  The traffic flows much better.

You are likely to hit congestion on your way south in the Hillsboro/West area, but getting out of DFW you should be fine, especially at that time of day.  I'd love to meet up with you in person, but I know this is a "git 'er done" trip for your family.

Best wishes on the scholarship processes.  Dd is applying for grad schools, and one of the programs she's interested in is at Baylor, although she'd love an excuse to live on a coast.  :laugh:

Good seeing you again!

Thanks for the traffic advice!  And it's good seeing you again, too.  It's been a bad year for pets around here :(  It feels good to be at the end of this journey and to see where the boys are going.  Good luck to your daughter :)

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you. My old student just answered and I thought I would send the info along in case he ends up attending Baylor. She attends two places. The first is called Church Under the Bridge. It is a community outreach focused church primarily dealing with serving the homeless community. On days when she isn't there, she attends Harris Creek. It has two campuses and the one she attends is 95% students.

Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you. My old student just answered and I thought I would send the info along in case he ends up attending Baylor. She attends two places. The first is called Church Under the Bridge. It is a community outreach focused church primarily dealing with serving the homeless community. On days when she isn't there, she attends Harris Creek. It has two campuses and the one she attends is 95% students.

Just had to mention: The Church Under the Bridge is actually an open-air, very informal service that is held literally under the I-35 freeway in the open lot. It is designed to be very welcoming to the homeless/indigent population with warm coffee and fellowship.