Menu

beta blocker experiences?

HollyDay

I feel like a slug.  Dh says I'm acting like a sloth (sleeping a bunch, dosing off if I sit still too long).  He thinks it is the beta blockers. 

Besides the steamroller of the hypertensive crisis (and the medication to stop it) wiping me out, I also caught a virus from one of the doc offices.  I'm achy all over, "rumbly tummy" and coughing and coughing. Basically, I feel awful.  Thought I might pass out in the shower this morning.

My BP is MUCH lower.  Today, I'm averaging around 120/78 after being on the beta blockers for 4 days.  Beats the 180s/100s for sure. I don't see the cardio until Friday and I suppose he will make whatever adjustments he feels he needs to make. 

So, is this typcal for starting beta blockers?  Will I ever feel "normal" again?

I was on inderal/propranolol for essential tremor about 10 years ago, and it was horrible. My heart rate went down to 50 and lower, I would gasp for breath even on a routine walk, gained 10 pounds since it changes how the body handles glucose, and yes, I was skeepy all the time.

I think hypertensive crisis warrants putting up with the side effects in the short term, but you might ask your physician what other options exist during your next appointment. Are you on a calcium channel blocker? My mom takes a CCB, loop diuretic, watches her salt intake, exercises, and maintains a healthy body weight to manage her blood pressure.

I don't think that you can attribute the fatigue to the beta blocker unless it continues once you have gotten over the virus. It sounds like your bp is in an excellent range and that it was a good treatment choice.

Beta blockers might be the choice over other meds for high blood pressure if there is any anxiety, or if there is irregular heartbeat, racing heartbeat, etc. because a beta blocker will help with those effects as well. A perk is that people on beta blockers who get breast cancer have an overall higher survival rate. They think maybe it's because of the blocking of the effects of anxiety on the system.

I went on Inderal for basilar arterial migraines at age 17 in April-and basically slept through the rest of the semester. Fortunately, my teachers were merciful. It took about 3 months to adjust.

Then, by my senior year of college, I had classmates taking Inderal for performance anxiety-and had to laugh, because by that point I was on about 10x what they were taking a day-and didn't even feel it anymore (although I wasn't ending up in the ER regularly with BP in the stroke level anymore, either)

I think hypertensive crisis warrants putting up with the side effects in the short term, but you might ask your physician what other options exist during your next appointment. Are you on a calcium channel blocker? My mom takes a CCB, loop diuretic, watches her salt intake, exercises, and maintains a healthy body weight to manage her blood pressure.

This is what I'm thinking.  It is still sinking in that I could have died (yikes) or had a stroke and left with serious damage.  The neuro still needs to address the neuro problems that occured and those that remain.  I don't drink, don't smoke, am within 5 lbs of goal weight and exercise daily.  I watch what I eat for the most part.  Gave up coffee 4 months ago and limited myself to either 1 cup of Earl Grey or 1 piece of chocolate a day.  I just don't know where else to go with nondrug treatments. What little I recall from the meeting with the cardio, he told dh he would "most likely" be making adjustments this week.  His main goal was getting me out of that initial danger zone.  I do remember the ER doc who came into the triage area said it was hard for her to believe my BP was still so high when that day I took both a calcium channel blocker and a beta blocker.  She also told dh that it was unusual to have to go to another round of different IV BP meds.  She said mine was particularly stuborn. 

I don't think that you can attribute the fatigue to the beta blocker unless it continues once you have gotten over the virus. It sounds like your bp is in an excellent range and that it was a good treatment choice.

Beta blockers might be the choice over other meds for high blood pressure if there is any anxiety, or if there is irregular heartbeat, racing heartbeat, etc. because a beta blocker will help with those effects as well. A perk is that people on beta blockers who get breast cancer have an overall higher survival rate. They think maybe it's because of the blocking of the effects of anxiety on the system.

I'm wondering about the virus affects too.  What is interesting, I started having anxiety attacks in Aug.  It was horrible!!!  I even went to my family practitioner about them.  My heart would race and I would feel so terrible.  I haven't mentioned this to the cardio, maybe dh did, but to my knowledge, he doesn't know......

When DH went on propranolol he was a little tired for a few weeks and he put on several pounds.  The tiredness subsided after that initial adjustment period, and the extra weight went away, too.

But with the stress of what you've been through and a virus on top of it, I would be very hesitant to blame any tiredness on the medication right now.

Beta blockers can cause fatigue and sleepiness.  If it doesn't pass, try a different one.  They aren't all the same.  I took a beta blocker for about a week this past summer.  I have innocuous premature atrial contractions.  Sometimes they get annoying, and a beta blocker will stop them with one dose.  However, beta blockers give me asthma symptoms, which I cannot live with, because I'm very active.  Gasping for breath when I exert myself is worse than a heart palpitation, so I dumped the beta blocker. 

Be sure to write down any symptoms that you might be having and give the list to the doctor.  They can adjust your meds based on that, and tell you which symptoms are virus caused, and which are drug caused.

I just don't know where else to go with nondrug treatments. What little I recall from the meeting with the cardio, he told dh he would "most likely" be making adjustments this week.  His main goal was getting me out of that initial danger zone.

One non-drug treatment that comes to mind is magnesium.  My ds10, who has hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (needs to avoid a rapid heartrate, among other things), takes magnesium for other reasons and when I ran it by his cardiologist, the cardiologist mentioned that it was nature's beta blocker.  He okayed ds taking it and it seemed like a positive thing.  Might be something to research and ask the doc whether it might be worth a try when you're out of the danger zone.

On another angle, sometimes high blood pressure is an early sign of issues with insulin resistance, for which there are non-drug strategies.

One non-drug treatment that comes to mind is magnesium.  My ds10, who has hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (needs to avoid a rapid heartrate, among other things), takes magnesium for other reasons and when I ran it by his cardiologist, the cardiologist mentioned that it was nature's beta blocker.  He okayed ds taking it and it seemed like a positive thing.  Might be something to research and ask the doc whether it might be worth a try when you're out of the danger zone.

On another angle, sometimes high blood pressure is an early sign of issues with insulin resistance, for which there are non-drug strategies.

This is interesting.  I've been dealing with "the headache" since Dec. 16.  I thought migraine, but the ER doc and the cardiologist said it was absolutely a BP headache. Anyway, I was taking magnesium in an effort to ease the headache.  Perhaps I was not taking enough.  Or perhaps the BP was too high for magnesium to effectively lower.  I'll be curious what happens now.

insulin resistance....hm........I had gestational diabetes 3 times.  I have cystic ovaries.........hmmmmmm

This is interesting.  I've been dealing with "the headache" since Dec. 16.  I thought migraine, but the ER doc and the cardiologist said it was absolutely a BP headache. Anyway, I was taking magnesium in an effort to ease the headache.  Perhaps I was not taking enough.  Or perhaps the BP was too high for magnesium to effectively lower.  I'll be curious what happens now.

insulin resistance....hm........I had gestational diabetes 3 times.  I have cystic ovaries.........hmmmmmm

I too had GD and have PCOS.  My dad was a thin type 2 diabetic, diagnosed with diabetes at 50, but diagnosed with high blood pressure at 44-ish.  Essentially, that was the first sign of metabolic syndrome for him, as I understand it.

For me personally, a LCHF way of eating is how I'm dealing with insulin issues for the moment, hoping to avoid a lifetime of meds.  However, if I had more significant issues like high blood pressure right now, I'd even go back on metformin in an effort to try to treat a potential root cause.

As for the magnesium, I don't know that much about it; I suspect the effect is probably mild.  Obviously it's much milder than meds.  I would be wary of trying it while on beta blockers unless you and the doc come up with a plan together.

I too had GD and have PCOS.  My dad was a thin type 2 diabetic, diagnosed with diabetes at 50, but diagnosed with high blood pressure at 44-ish.  Essentially, that was the first sign of metabolic syndrome for him, as I understand it.

For me personally, a LCHF way of eating is how I'm dealing with insulin issues for the moment, hoping to avoid a lifetime of meds.  However, if I had more significant issues like high blood pressure right now, I'd even go back on metformin in an effort to try to treat a potential root cause.

As for the magnesium, I don't know that much about it; I suspect the effect is probably mild.  Obviously it's much milder than meds.  I would be wary of trying it while on beta blockers unless you and the doc come up with a plan together.

I've had to "watch my diet" for years.  They docs said I would be diabetic by 40, then 45, then certainly by 50.  Well, I'm 51 now and it might be catching up with me.  But, I"ve worked with a nutritionist for almost 15 years.  I get my A1C checked twice a year as part of  regular lab work.  I'm certainly not perfect in my eating habits.  My weight ups and downs prove that.  But, I have held the diabetes off this long. 

I should thank you for starting this post...I've been on beta blocker (labetalol) for about 10yrs now I guess....and I am TIRED all of the time...but it does work on my blood pressure issues....I am definitely going to bring it up with my dr-I had NO IDEA that this could be because of the meds.....sheesh! and I thought I researched my meds pretty good.....hope you get to feeling better.

Well, today my BP was too low to take the beta blocker.  The doc told me to skip today and he called in a lower dose for me to start tomorrow.  The nurse practioner and I talked for a bit this morning.  Then I got another call around the end of the business day.  I *think* I better understand what it going on now.  Doc explained the side effects and reasons for them.  He is hoping by Friday it will sort out.  But, if not, he said we would keep working until it is sorted.....

• 3 weeks later...

update:

Echo and stress tests  were fine. Doc said the stress test showed the beta blocker was "doing its job."  I seem to be "normalizing."  I have not heard that term before this, but they keep saying the body has to get used to running normal after having high BP which does take some time to feel good again.   So, I'm normalizing.  It has been just over 2 weeks at maintenance dose and I've already called the nurse practioner once :)  They have me taking it at noon which is a bit of a bother schedule wise.  But, that is what my body seems to like.  I kept a BP log for 3 weeks, checking BP every 2 hours and anytime I got up at night.  Looking at that, the doc decided I should take it at noon.  I do feel better with taking it at noon rather than first thing in the morning, but I need to eat with the medicine, so I need to plan ahead if I'm going to be out. 

Now, I take my BP twice a day and anytime anything feels "off."  If nothing else happens, I go back in 6 months.  It has been an interesting and sometimes scary journey. 

I take Lopressor for my hyperthyroid symptoms. It makes me really tired. My B/P is low anyway and the Lopressor wipes me out when I take it. Since they can't figure out why I am hyperthyroid (it has been 7 months), they are keeping me on the med as needed for symptoms. 

I ran into a friend last night who happens to be in the medical field.  She reiterated that it would be really nice to know why this happened.  She said BP doesn't just suddenly go way high for no reason.  But, none of the tests found any answer to the why.  Thyroid is well within norms.  None of the other labs, CAT scan, lumbar puncture, EKG, cardiac echo revealed a source of the problem.  I have had PVCs for years and the doc said the EKG and the echo indicated they are getting too frequent, but that wouldn't cause such a rise in BP and the beta blocker fixes that too.  He has just said if it happens again, we will bring in neuro to look from that angle as the heart checks out fine and I'm already on a beta blocker.