What's with the ads?

Photo

Looking to do some *relaxed* math here, want to share ideas?

169 replies to this topic

What's with the ads?

#101 smfmommy

smfmommy

Lurker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 224 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 04:38 PM

Anybody have any other ideas for easily-transportable math?

Math Dice  You can Google lots of games but in one game you roll two 9-12 sided dice and three regular dice.  Multiply the multi sided dice together then use three regular numbers to try and reach the same number.  You can use any combination of adding, subtracting ,multiplying or dividing to do so.

It's an easy way to to drill addition or multiplication too. No bulky flashcards just two ten or twelve sided dice.

• soror and OneStepAtATime like this

#102 Kerileanne99

Kerileanne99

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2269 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 04:58 PM

Math Dice You can Google lots of games but in one game you roll two 9-12 sided dice and three regular dice. Multiply the multi sided dice together then use three regular numbers to try and reach the same number. You can use any combination of adding, subtracting ,multiplying or dividing to do so.

It's an easy way to to drill addition or multiplication too. No bulky flashcards just two ten or twelve sided dice.

Because we are strange like that, I actually have a little ziplock full of different polyhedral dice I keep in my purse for those moments like restaurants where I need to occupy her for a bit. I will have to make sure they get packed...

#103 Farrar

Farrar

Expert Cat Herder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22597 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 08:01 PM

Dragging this fantastic thread out because I received a couple of great games we played all yesterday:)
We are taking a six week road trip/vacation so I have been looking for fun math items that won't take up much room. My dd is currently really interested in fractions and percentages so I found this cool card game called FracTazmic:

http://shop.iseecards.com/aboutus.sc

It can be played at several different levels too.

The cards actually don't look like much...but the Pyramath game was FUN. And it involves all four arithmetic operations.

I have Prime Bomb but we haven't played it yet. If it is anything like the others it will be great.

So there seem to be instructions for the games on the site.  I think for the fraction and pyramid game it looks like one could easily make a deck from Right Start cards for anyone who has them.  Maybe we'll give these a try.  Thanks!

No other ideas for portable math than the ones given here.  But one thing I would sort of like to do more is math walks.  I've been on a couple - one done by the Museum of Math people - and they were really fun.  But it's one of those...  ugh, I just don't think to do it and preplan it kinds of things.

• soror, TGHEALTHYMOM and OneStepAtATime like this

#104 TGHEALTHYMOM

TGHEALTHYMOM

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 08:58 AM

Do you have the Family Math books or could you check them out from the library? We've been doing averages and means with those games.

Susan Wise Bauer just recommended Family Math and Family Math for Middle School in Cincy in her talk on Preparing for High School. 

I used Family Math 14 years ago at the recommendation of my first "mentor".  We loved it!   I just ordered the Middle School version and we have checked it out before. 

#105 OneStepAtATime

OneStepAtATime

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32292 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 12:50 PM

Giving this another bump since some on the boards are trying to find alternate means of addressing math.  :)

• soror and Doodlebug like this

#106 Doodlebug

Doodlebug

Hive Mind Level 4 Worker: Builder Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 305 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 05:55 PM

Ahhhhh! Thank you for bumping. Been looking for this thread!!! Yay! Happy day!!!

#107 Snow

Snow

Settling In

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 01:03 AM

I think I've seen at least 4 recent references to various math woes and thought I'd bump this awesome thread.

#108 OneStepAtATime

OneStepAtATime

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32292 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 08:57 AM

Another suggestion I thought I would make, that my brother pointed out to me the other day, is playing something like Advanced Dungeons and Dragons since there is a lot of dice rolling and some other scenarios where math is sort of integral to the game but is not the purpose of the game.  Since some kids like adventures/narrative, something like this might suck them in and encourage them to use their math skills without it being in your face math.

• soror likes this

#109 lazzaroni

lazzaroni

Hive Mind Worker Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 12:13 PM

This thread has helped me tremendously! It helped my son detox from his horrific PS math experience and he is finally starting to enjoy math again thanks to many of the resources listed herein. Especially loved the Marilyn Burns books!

#110 soror

soror

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12453 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 02:31 PM

Thanks for another bump OSAaT!

We're still working on balance here. For now we're just doing Horizons a bit behind, which is helping him develop fluency and leaving us plenty of time to get in some more fun math so I have been checking out different resources again. As of late that has been the Marilyn Burn's book, Math for Smarty Pants and HoE. We've done some LoF this year but I'm torn on it, perhaps I'll pull it out it again this week and do a bit more of Fractions.

• OneStepAtATime likes this

#111 8FillTheHeart

8FillTheHeart

Alice or Mad Hatter or maybe a little of both

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14002 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 03:14 PM

Soror,

I know you were looking for math resources, but maybe just spending time with games which require multiple mental step strategies might be beneficial as well. Even my not so great math kids end up strong math students bc they are able to mentally process multiple steps. It isn't from mental math programs like SM. ;) It is from chess, Othello, mancala, Advanced Mastermind, Stratego, Risk, Catan, Ticket to Ride, etc. Even single player games like Rush Hour work on those skills.

Just a thought.
  • EmilyGF, soror, Mrs. A and 2 others like this

#112 soror

soror

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12453 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 03:22 PM

Great thoughts 8, we have a nice starter stash to strategy games and ds enjoys these and seems to do pretty well, concept is generally not his weakness but rather fluency. However, BA is grating on him now so perhaps some traditional math with fun work in concepts, like living math and more games will suite him better for the time being. Thanks for the reminder, we need to play these more often.

#113 OneStepAtATime

OneStepAtATime

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32292 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 06:36 PM

I know you were looking for math resources, but maybe just spending time with games which require multiple mental step strategies might be beneficial as well. Even my not so great math kids end up strong math students bc they are able to mentally process multiple steps. It isn't from mental math programs like SM. ;) It is from chess, Othello, mancala, Advanced Mastermind, Stratego, Risk, Catan, Ticket to Ride, etc. Even single player games like Rush Hour work on those skills.

Just a thought.

Cool suggestions!  I LOVED Mastermind as a kid.  LOVED it.   DS10, Mom and I were playing Settlers of Catan today.  It took about an hour for her to start to get the hang of it (NOT a strategist or board gamer) but it was still fun.  I wish DH liked ANY board game.  I have never played Ticket to Ride, but was looking at getting it for Christmas.  Sniff, sniff I gave away our mancala.  No one was using it.  I kind of regret that, though.  

• soror likes this

#114 Kerileanne99

Kerileanne99

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2269 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 08:49 PM

Have to share a variation my dd invented for Zeus on the Loose for those of you that have it. Zeus on the Loose had been a clear favorite for a long time, and it has really made my kiddo quite fast as addition facts and mental math. I think it is still a favorite because of the strategy and the fact that it is Greek Mythology/)

This morning when dd drug it out, she decided we were going to play a variation called 'going to Hades'...after hubby and I giggled at her title she explained that we could start the Mt. Olympus total at 100 and subtract to the ultimate goal of zero. The Poseidon card was played as an opposite, so instead of subtracting 10 we added 10 in this version. All other cards were played as normal.
It actually worked really really well, and was a lot of fun. Really good mental math subtraction practice too:)

Just another option!
  • Kareni, soror, Farrar and 3 others like this

#115 Runningmom80

Runningmom80

Hugger of Books

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4690 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 10:47 AM

Thank you for this thread!  My 8 year old has never liked math, I'm really hoping to change that!

#116 Farrar

Farrar

Expert Cat Herder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22597 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 04:29 PM

Ooh, I have a couple of new suggestions... for math projects, in addition to the math projects series, we've discovered the GEMS Guides that are for math. I don't know how I didn't realize that GEMS had math books as well. I have the probability one and the menu math one (it's about combinations) and they're both good. Also, we're most of the way through a book from Prufrock Press called Time Travel Math which is really neat. There's a story and then a bunch of projects. It discusses ratio, tessellations, and area.

• soror, Runningmom80 and OneStepAtATime like this

#117 online

Just Visiting

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 11:08 PM

Two more online games links that I would add to your list:

http://supermathsworld.com/ (partially free)

http://slicker.me/ (free, but very few games)

#118 soror

soror

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12453 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 05:12 PM

Well, I'm again in the throws of researching math trying to move ds along in math. As an update, he no longer hates math, he quite enjoys some bits, we've not returned the love he had but he is much improved from this winter. We've done various books, games and games. Perhaps some day I'll have the time and inclination to update my first post but for now I'm posting here.

Everything's Coming Up Fraction- Uses Cuisanaire Rods to go from introducing fractions to adding and subtracting with finding a common denominator, how to use the rods is explained so no prior knowledge is necessary. This book uses riddles and hands on work to drive home understanding. I'm tempted by this book although ds is beyond the material. 

Pizzazz Math- Wonderful Practice Sheets for Middle School , Pre-Algebra and Algebra level, lots of riddles and puzzles using different math skills to solve, these very much remind me of Burns' books (which are well-loved here and classics). Embedded links are to printable/free pdfs.

• OneStepAtATime likes this

#119 FloridaLisa

FloridaLisa

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4162 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 06:33 PM

Everything's Coming Up Fraction- Uses Cuisanaire Rods to go from introducing fractions to adding and subtracting with finding a common denominator, how to use the rods is explained so no prior knowledge is necessary. This book uses riddles and hands on work to drive home understanding. I'm tempted by this book although ds is beyond the material. 

Soror,

I used this book with every one of my kids after they learned fractions in their Saxon book. It was a great resource to get them really playing with fractions back and forth and really cemented the textbook learning. 

I'm planning to do that with ds10 in a few weeks. 

Lisa

#120 soror

soror

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12453 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 06:46 PM

Thanks for your thoughts Lisa, perhaps it would be worthwhile afterall.

• FloridaLisa and OneStepAtATime like this

#121 mohini

mohini

Hive Mind Larvae

• Members
  • Pip
  • 258 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 07:38 PM

:bigear:  :bigear:  :bigear:

#122 mohini

mohini

Hive Mind Larvae

• Members
  • Pip
  • 258 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 07:38 PM

dp

#123 mommymonster

mommymonster

Hive Mind Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1107 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 04:14 PM

We were at the zoo this morning and ducked into the gift shop due to rain. I found the most AMAZING living math books (who would have thought?!?!). It's a series called "Real World Math [color -- blue, orange or purple] Level." The blue level is for kids aged 6+, orange is for 8+, and purple is for 12+. They are soft-covered, $5.99 each. The line has a super variety of themes -- zoo keeper, zoo vet, dinosaur, sea giants, crime, stuntmen, sports... Beautifully colorful, gorgeous photos and smooth pages. 

The Zoo Vet and Zoo Keeper books are lovely. They have interesting, real world problems. I found them also on Amazon, here (http://www.amazon.co... - Orange Level). The Zoo Vet book (for age 8+) covers things like numbers, measurements, organizing data (charts/graphs), problem solving and adding/subtracting/multipling/dividing. 

Thank heavens for crappy weather while at the zoo!!!    :001_wub:

• soror and Farrar like this

#124 OneStepAtATime

OneStepAtATime

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32292 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 04:16 PM

We were at the zoo this morning and ducked into the gift shop due to rain. I found the most AMAZING living math books (who would have thought?!?!). It's a series called "Real World Math [color -- blue, orange or purple] Level." The blue level is for kids aged 6+, orange is for 8+, and purple is for 12+. They are soft-covered, $5.99 each. The line has a super variety of themes -- zoo keeper, zoo vet, dinosaur, sea giants, crime, stuntmen, sports... Beautifully colorful, gorgeous photos and smooth pages. 

The Zoo Vet and Zoo Keeper books are lovely. They have interesting, real world problems. I found them also on Amazon, here (http://www.amazon.co... - Orange Level). The Zoo Vet book (for age 8+) covers things like numbers, measurements, organizing data (charts/graphs), problem solving and adding/subtracting/multipling/dividing. 

Thank heavens for crappy weather while at the zoo!!!    :001_wub:

:hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:

#125 soror

soror

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12453 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 04:53 PM

Oh, those do look like fun. 

#126 FloridaLisa

FloridaLisa

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4162 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 11:12 PM

A bit further upthread 8 talked about some games that her family likes to play.  I'd like to add a couple of single player games to our Christmas/birthday list.  Rush Hour types.  What single player games have been hits in your house that I could set aside for a 7- and 10-year old? 

Thanks!

Lisa

#127 OneStepAtATime

OneStepAtATime

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32292 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 11:26 PM

bumping this for newer boardies that might have missed it before....

• soror likes this

#128 Farrar

Farrar

Expert Cat Herder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22597 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 12:08 AM

This is one of my favorite threads. :D

• Angie in VA, soror, Runningmom80 and 1 other like this

#129 Pegs

Pegs

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 12:16 AM

I love this thread too. Thanks for the bump!
  • soror likes this

#130 8FillTheHeart

8FillTheHeart

Alice or Mad Hatter or maybe a little of both

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14002 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 01:18 AM

A bit further upthread 8 talked about some games that her family likes to play.  I'd like to add a couple of single player games to our Christmas/birthday list.  Rush Hour types.  What single player games have been hits in your house that I could set aside for a 7- and 10-year old? 

Thanks!

Lisa

Hi Lisa,

I can add a few more single player games for that age group (and older).  Penguins on Ice (definitely challenging.  I can't even put it away without looking at the pictures!) http://www.amazon.co...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

Color Code (definitely easier.  My new 5 yr old has completed many of the puzzles) http://www.amazon.co...ords=color code

The Shell Game (a good one.  Definitely works on memory skills.) http://www.amazon.co...ords=shell game

• FloridaLisa, soror and OneStepAtATime like this

#131 soror

soror

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12453 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 07:41 AM

Hi Lisa,

I can add a few more single player games for that age group (and older).  Penguins on Ice (definitely challenging.  I can't even put it away without looking at the pictures!) http://www.amazon.co...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

Color Code (definitely easier.  My new 5 yr old has completed many of the puzzles) http://www.amazon.co...ords=color code

The Shell Game (a good one.  Definitely works on memory skills.) http://www.amazon.co...ords=shell game

Thanks for those recommendations, I need to add some of those to our collection.

#132 OneStepAtATime

OneStepAtATime

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32292 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 12:58 PM

O.k. thought I would bump again since there are a lot of newbies looking for some math help....

• soror likes this

#133 FloridaLisa

FloridaLisa

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4162 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 06:08 PM

Since this just got bumped, I'm weighing in with my experience with my youngest to put the textbook aside and do math with manipulatives, games, a white board, cuisenaire rods, coins, egg cartons (for dozens), the grocery store and just so many resources that were on my shelves. 

It has worked magnificently. 

She needed to think intuitively about numbers. She needed to be able to see them and play with them and work them.  She needed to see the relationships between numbers.  She has made huge leaps in those areas and just last week we pulled the text back out. We're working orally through some of the lessons and then following with some math practice to make sure there are no gaps. 

I'm so happy that a season away from the text which was showing little progress and weeks doing hands-on math have helped her get caught up. 

Lisa

• Angie in VA, soror, Farrar and 3 others like this

#134 suenos

suenos

Hive Mind Worker Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 03:49 PM

Wow - this thread is so helpful!  Thanks to all who took the time to share!!!

#135 Misha

Misha

• Members
  • Pip
  • 245 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 07:49 PM

This thread is fantastic. I never cease to be grateful for the kindness of homeschoolers sharing their wisdom.  :001_smile:

• ErinD, soror and OneStepAtATime like this

#136 vonbon

vonbon

Hive Mind Level 3 Worker: Honeymaking Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 202 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 11:21 PM

Another mention of using a play Store/Bank set up.  We've done this in the past and plan to resurrect it this week.  

I gather a bunch of items from the kitchen cupboards and put a dot sticker on each with a "price".  Doesn't take too long.  Then we arrange things in the living room along with a pretend cash register, shopping bags, etc.  DD's shop for and "purchase" items and have to help figure out the appropriate change.  Trying to build fluency with +/- facts, so this will help.  This allows for counting by 1's, 5', 10's, 25's, etc.  And we cover 25 cents/dollar and fractions (1/4, 1/2, 3/4, 1).  

Tomorrow I plan to cover weight by using a scale to weigh fruits for "sale".  And DD can practice more writing, sounding out words, etc. by writing up a shopping list.  I'm also going to try to have a "bank" component with Monopoly money so we can practice changing out 1's, 5's, 10's, 100's (useful in the future for borrowing, carrying, ones/tens places.)

I might "sell" yarn or ribbon at some point (like they sell chain at Lowe's, for ex.) so we can work on measurement.  Another idea: clipping some coupons to calculate how many cents off.  

Sorry if this idea was already mentioned.  I haven't read through all responses.  Maybe an idea for the younger set and I think it was mentioned in the original post.  It seems like it could be adapted for multiplication and division.  

• FO4UR, soror and OneStepAtATime like this

#137 OneStepAtATime

OneStepAtATime

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32292 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 07:18 PM

Obligatory bump...  :)

• soror and maize like this

#138 OneStepAtATime

OneStepAtATime

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32292 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 05:58 PM

I can't remember if anyone has mentioned this but DD is really enjoying Shapeometry. 

http://www.amazon.co...rds=shapeometry

• soror likes this

#139 Patty Joanna

Patty Joanna

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9371 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 08:15 PM

We hit a wall when my son was in third grade and I just *stopped* math.  We played dice games, a math game that was like Scrabble (but math)--I "spotted" my son at least one operation.  So, for example, when he was doing +-x/, I would spot him division and I couldn't use that to make my equations.  I think the game is called "Equate."  

We had dice of all kinds, so he got all his multiplication to x15 (I wish I had done that--we only went to 12s, and our class was the only one that went THAT far).  

There was also a nifty little hand-held game that held 7 dice, 6 in a circle and one in the middle.  You could "roll" all the dice at once, and you had to use the 6 dice to come up with the number on the die in the middle.  You could use any math operation, so it got really fun with parentheses and squares and factors.  (Yes, he was ahead of the game , and this wasn't always in 3rd grade...but that is when we took the Formal Math Break.)

LOTS of good things happened through this process, including backtracking to make sure and firm all that he "knew" to date.  The results at the end of the year were fantastic.  He had jumped at least 4 "grade levels" in testing (I know the subtleties about this testing lingo...don't worry)...which is practically unheard of.  

The reason I said all that is to give you some confidence in following your "gut" on this.  

• soror and albeto. like this

#140 SEGway

SEGway

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 09:18 PM

Since SCM Pet Store Math was discussed positively upthread, I'll mention that I just got it to try (maybe for the summer?) from the Build Your Bundle (or whatever it's called) that's going on. I'm not referring anyone (if you google homeschool build your bundle, I think you'll find it.) If you have other stuff they're selling that you're looking at, too, it might be a deal. (Probably not if that's the only product you really wanted.)

Just a head's up. 

And, thanks to the people who bumped this. Lots of fun stuff in here! (My Amazon wishlist is expanding....again. :) )

• soror likes this

#141 Kerileanne99

Kerileanne99

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2269 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 05:31 PM

Reviving this thread because we played a fantastic game and I wanted to share:)

It is called Clumsy Thief. It is primarily a money game but has strategy, money, and a really clever way to practice all the combinations to add up to 100. I actually bought it to play with a mixed group of coop kids, and even the teens loved it. Lots of mental math to practice:)

https://www.amazon.c...MfhL&ref=plSrch
  • MrsBasil and soror like this

#142 Janeway

Janeway

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3821 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 11:02 PM

I am unsure but, isn't Making Math Meaningful a program that is very hands on, with things from around your house? I saw samples when I was looking for something else. 

#143 desertflower

desertflower

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 2083 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 10:07 PM

I love this thread too.  :) 

Another online mom told me about GeoGebra.  https://www.geogebra.org/materials/

I haven't used it online, but have done something similar to it from a book. 

#144 OneStepAtATime

OneStepAtATime

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32292 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 09:09 AM

Wish this thread could be pinned...

• Farrar likes this

#145 desertflower

desertflower

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 2083 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 01:31 PM

Wish this thread could be pinned...

I'll report it and see what happens.  :) 

#146 OneStepAtATime

OneStepAtATime

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32292 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 01:44 PM

I'll report it and see what happens. :)

Thanks. :)

#147 FO4UR

FO4UR

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9409 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 02:03 PM

Our family made up a game we call "Win Mommy's Money."

The kids do just what the title says.  I start with naming coins.  If they can tell me if it's a penny, nickel, dime or quarter they can keep it.  It takes 2 or 3 rounds and then we have to make the game harder, and then they have to name the coin AND tell me how much it's worth.  When they can name the coin AND know the value, then we start adding 2 coins together...then 3..4 and 5...  When I'm in the poor house (all my spare change is gone LOL), I make it harder.  

Next, I tell them the price of something.  They have to find the correct amount.

Soon they have to subtract the change in my hand from a dollar.  (If I pay 37 cents for a lollipop, how much change will I get back?)  What coins could I use?  What if we didn't have any quarters?

My kids are way too old for this game, but still ask to play when they need some spare change.  It works like a charm, much better than a worksheet, and I think it carries over into real life application more effectively as well.  

Playing store with a nice cash register that helps count real money is effective.  We actually use this cash register for garage sales.  Which reminds me...let your children sell their own used toys in a garage sale.  Nothing motivates quite like actually earning real money.

Another homemade game:  Write numbers on craft sticks.  Put the craft sticks at the end of the driveway.  Sit on the porch and call out "4+5" or "6x7"...they run and find the stick with the correct answer. I was just brainstorming ways to evolve this game into practice for square roots, matching fractions to decimals and percents. Kids love to run, especially if it's a competition with a sibling.  (You can give a 1st grader addition sticks and a 5th grader fractions...)

• MerryAtHope and rimk3 like this

#148 pokumse

pokumse

Just Visiting

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 04:57 PM

Wow greaat ideas... would try them.. nice and neat

#149 Farrar

Farrar

Expert Cat Herder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22597 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 07:48 PM

Ooh, I just noticed that this thread got pinned. Woohoo! I'm always mentioning it in math threads. How completely useful.

• Runningmom80 likes this

#150 hjffkj

hjffkj

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6188 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 04:30 PM

I highly recommend the game Can't Stop.