Menu

Talk to me about online class options. . . .

I know this thread is old now, and some things have changed, but there are so many great links and reviews it is still a very useful resource.  I hope people will keep updating.  I would like to add a few that are new options or were not listed originally.  Many of these will be posting their class offerings for summer/fall in just a few weeks but I don't think most have them up yet.

Excelsior Classes

http://excelsiorclasses.com/#slide2

(Interface is very easy to use once you are signed up for a class.)

Outschool

https://outschool.com/listings?age=15&theme=Science+%26+Math

MathCloud (self-paced but can be linked with a teacher)

http://www.mathcloud.net/

Open Tent Academy

http://www.iewwritingteacher.com/open-tent-academy-class-descriptions

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

This thread has been so invaluable!  

Since some of the links on the list above are now no longer functioning and not everyone checks this particular forum for on-line classes it seemed it might make sense to have a master list on Gen Ed that covers all grade ranges.   Still trying to organize it and get reviews in place from those that have used these on-line providers.

If you have updates/info and would be willing to share over there, that would be great.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/638806-master-list-of-on-line-classes/

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I want to tell you about the new Royal Fireworks Online Learning Community. It is getting exciting and classes are planned to start next month. As well as a full range of Michael Clay Thompson English Language Arts courses, we are offering Philosophy for Kids: Justice, Faith and Free Will with Dr. Sharon Kaye; Conversational Spanish with Dr. Myriam Borges Thompson; A "Fairly Creative Writing" class with Aubrey Lively; an Introduction to Minerals and Rocks, the history of African Slavery and the Atlantic Slave Trade...and much more. It will be fully launched in the next few days. Watch for announcements on our Facebook page or sign up for news and you will get it direct. We look forward to hearing from you!

• Like 3

I want to tell you about the new Royal Fireworks Online Learning Community. It is getting exciting and classes are planned to start next month. As well as a full range of Michael Clay Thompson English Language Arts courses, we are offering Philosophy for Kids: Justice, Faith and Free Will with Dr. Sharon Kaye; Conversational Spanish with Dr. Myriam Borges Thompson; A "Fairly Creative Writing" class with Aubrey Lively; an Introduction to Minerals and Rocks, the history of African Slavery and the Atlantic Slave Trade...and much more. It will be fully launched in the next few days. Watch for announcements on our Facebook page or sign up for news and you will get it direct. We look forward to hearing from you!

Registration is now open for these courses! Go here for more information.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I'd like to add a bit of information about Blue Tent Online, since a lot has changed in the five years since this thread started--including our website location: Blue Tent Online

We now offer a number of classes for middle schoolers:

• One-semester Creative Writing classes for budding novelists and poets
  • Introduction to Literature & Composition
  • Biology and Chemistry classes
  • Algebra 1 & 2, Geometry (and Precalculus & Calc)
Edited by Brigid in NC
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

For online options, I would stay clear of The Potter's School. This company was founded to help missionary children in remote locations, and that is a very moral thing to do. The problem is that so many of the kids live in isolated locations without much internet access. They are so lonely that they use the time during class to socialize with the kids their age. This was a constant distraction for my son. Plus, those who pay full price will be asked to pay even more to subsidize for the missionary kids. Again, I have no problemssupporting for emissions. But I wasn't going to give money to an  organization I don't have experience with. It'll show in your record that you gave zero if you choose to do so. The teachers my son had did not have accountability. One of them used a different person to grade tests but did not disclose this until the end of the year. My son was confused that his papers had comments that seemed to come from nowhere based on what was discussed in class. And another teacher routinely dismissed class 15 minutes early. This may not seem like a big deal but when you're paying for an hour and a half each week, the extra 15 minutes adds up. I also found the administration very difficult to work with. I think we wasted a lot of money for very little in return. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

My 10th grader has taken Health (Amanda Hunter) and Essay Writing (Jaime Anderson) and is now in Research Paper Writing also with Jaime Anderson. They have all been great classes and I highly recommend this online academy!  If you have specific questions about how the classes operate, I’m happy to answer. Sorry I can’t address the Equine studies directly. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

We have now finished PreA (Jordan Dwelle) and Alg 1 (Eric Reine) with Wilson Hill. They use older Dolciani texts. 

Both classes were well taught and well organized. Canvas and Adobe are easy to use; no tech issues. Both teachers were available by email for questions. Mr. Reine is funny! 

Parents check the homework and WHA allows hw to be corrected to 100. They also give plenty of time for exam review. 

Our only negative (besides cost!) is the discussion board emphasis, which seems to be new this school year, at least in math classes. WHA prefers hw questions posted to the db before being asked in class. But sometimes the pacing of that doesn't work and sometimes other students don't have helpful answers. Mr. Reine did not seem to monitor it much. I understand that hw questions can't take up too much class time, but I don't think the current plan is a great solution.

My student is good at math, though not "'mathy", and enjoyed both classes very much. She spent 3-5 hrs each week on homework for math. She may well be back at WHA for Alg 2 as a 10th grader. 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 1

I would advise caution with Wilson Hill Academy. When our family was a part we recieved notice that a teacher, who our family had come to like very much, had resigned. We were not notified until June and received an email that said, "As most of you have already heard...". Well, we had not heard and were caught completely off guard. I understand that changes happen and teachers must reevaluate each year. But as soon as an academy knows, they need to notify parents right away. It was very difficult for us to find a replacement, although we did. How it would have helped us if we had known sooner. We had paid about one-fourth for this course already, and did not get any of it back. I thought this was wrong, considering that we signed up for this course because of the teacher. And please read their terms and conditions page. There are two payment options. I thought the registration page was misleading, as all it said for one of the options was "refundable". well, go to the terms and conditions and you will clearly see that if you pay full price, it is only refundable within 14 days. I think there are some good teachers at WHA, but I question their financial dealings. 

• Like 1

@jones 

WHA's financial policies are well known and have been discussed elsewhere on these boards. Sorry that you got caught in a tough spot, but it's on us as customers to read the fine print. Last minute change of teachers is unfortunately common in online classes.

This thread is primarily for reviewing the academic instruction, the teachers etc. I am commending Mr. Reini and Mr. Dwelle as excellent math teachers who use a solid text, and are pleasant to interact with. I would recommend these two classes at WHA for anyone with average or stronger math students.

• Like 1

ScoutTN, We have used other on line academies and WHA stands alone in it's rigid return policy.  The tough spot was that WHA changed teachers without letting parents know in time to get something else worked out.  It is a courtesy to return money in that situation.  Furthermore, the 14 day return policy was mentioned as a heads up to anyone not familiar with WHA.  Yes, it is "up to us parents", but it is nonetheless a shady practice, when no other academy has that kind of policy. Sorry to disagree with you, but many people here only check in about 2-3 times a year... We are not going through all the posts about WHA.  This thread mentions WHA and it is appropriate to post as a warning.  

My 8th grader is finishing up Latin 1 with Anne Van Fossen at CLRC. Excellent class! Well taught and well organized. The 2hr class time is long, but there is a break and the class is participatory. They use the Oxford text, with homework handouts that go with the text and include memorizing forms and vocabulary. My student had several years of "kid" Latin so some of this class was review. My student spent about 3hrs/week on Latin. Anne Van Fossen is wonderful and I commend her class heartily! I think even students without previous Latin and students younger than 8th could certainly handle this class because the hw is so scaffolded. There are two exams and the teacher grades the hw. CLRC uses Canvas and Adobe Connect. 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...