Menu

Online Writing program: ATTUNEUP

yes, Girl Power, great description of her teaching style....manageable chunks! At first you think "OH, essay writing or citations. I am not sure my kids can handle it."

But honestly she breaks it down in such manageable chunks that it is never over their heads! They are never frustrated. She does a great job scaffolding. 

I sure hope Dad bought headphones with mics that work this time or bought a splitter or whatever he called it. Perhaps one day we will get one of those web cams and the kids in the classes can finally meet each other "live".

We're on our last week of Webcite. 

So sad! 

The girls still say nothing really hard in the class. No long papers/essays. Mostly formatting Microsoft word like headers/footers or something like that. My daughter is trying to explain to me exactly. I wasnt really watching as I was keeping toddler from drowning in toilet and preker from joining him. 

They are learning a lot...bibiography and research data base. 

Can a mom who has been listening and watching more closely tell me more about the research data base?

We're on our last week of Webcite. 

So sad! 

The girls still say nothing really hard in the class. No long papers/essays. Mostly formatting Microsoft word like headers/footers or something like that. My daughter is trying to explain to me exactly. I wasnt really watching as I was keeping toddler from drowning in toilet and preker from joining him. 

They are learning a lot...bibiography and research data base. 

Can a mom who has been listening and watching more closely tell me more about the research data base?

I will be able to tell you next week.  Since my dd is 14 and I don't have time to hand hold, I'm having her write a one page paper next week on what she's learned, and give me an oral presentation.  She's not terribly happy about it, but my comment to her was, if she's going to take outsourced classes that need to go on her transcript, and she doesn't want me to hold her hand, she has to legitimize it.  I know your girls are younger, but you should have them teach you what they've been learning.  Maybe next week, after class has ended, have them show it all to you.

This is such a great class.  I'm so glad you told us all about it.

Blessings!

Dorinda 

Well I asked her about it pretty late last night so perhaps maybe they will be better at it earlier in the day and when we can give each other full attention.

I know they are learning because their other writings have definitely improved. They have to write regular writing prompts for their charter school requirement.

Yesterday was the last day of the WEBCITE! The girls worked really hard and learned a lot. My husband noticed they communicate better orally. They talk to each other more and they talk more to us way more  which is a big deal since they are very quiet girls. I am seeing changes in their ability to think through their reading and writing now and see the finer details of their work. I think it has really built up their confidence. (Now if I can just do the same with math!)

I am really excited about Forum--the next three weeks. They will be learning to analyze the reading passages from A Night To Remember instead of just research  and cite it. 

How did it go for everyone else? 

Yesterday was the last day of the WEBCITE! The girls worked really hard and learned a lot. My husband noticed they communicate better orally. They talk to each other more and they talk more to us way more which is a big deal since they are very quiet girls. I am seeing changes in their ability to think through their reading and writing now and see the finer details of their work. I think it has really built up their confidence. (Now if I can just do the same with math!)

I am really excited about Forum--the next three weeks. They will be learning to analyze the reading passages from A Night To Remember instead of just research and cite it.

How did it go for everyone else?

We really loved the class. It was very manageable, which is great since it was a brand new skill for us. I love that research and citation was introduced in such a gentle way instead of learning it with a full blown research paper. Dd did very well working mostly independently.

I had such a busy week I forgot to enroll her in Forum, so I did just now. I'm really looking forward to this one! Were the assignments posted yet? I hope she doesn't get behind! I'm waiting to hear from Amy.

Beck

I have to agree that the way Amy teaches these hard writing concept makes it so manageable. It is nothing the way I was thrown in to it by late high school/early college. It was like being thrown in a pack a wolves and survive from it.

My kids are totally getting it and I really didn't have to help them at all. 

So I have come to realize when parents come and ask me if the class is doable with their kids I am going to say yes because of how Amy breaks it down. It is so so doable for middle schoolers and the kids had fun doing it. 

No it was not citing a whole research paper. It was basically answering short answer questions but using quotes to back up the evidence pretty much and learning how to correctly cite it and why citation is needed. I heard some discussion about plagiarism and how it is important not to do that. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just found this thread and am considering it for my ds11 for the fall.  If we are secular homeschoolers, do you think we'd have a problem with the courses? 

Hi!

We are secular and the classes have been fine for us. The last class, Webcite, had a couple of short assignment worksheets having to do with looking up Bible verses, which I just had dd skip. It didn't have to be handed in. The vast majority of the class had very little Bible and could easily be skipped. I don't see you having an issue:) We are really enjoying her classes so far!

Beck

Yes, only up until recently when the girls had use a concordance there were very few Bible/Christian references. 

I think the teaching is worth it all and one could overlook these references if you are secular. 

I have found that it has been very helpful for kids to learn some Bible verses and stories as they are often referenced in a lot of British and American Literature. 

I was not a Christian in college and nearly failed British Literature because I just didn't understand a lot of the stories and poems we read. Now after reading and understanding the Bible and the basic tenets of it, I can make sense of what we read in class of course 10yrs too late and actually write a decent analysis on the materials read. ie Canterbury Tales. 

Here is the next class...who is doing this one? 

Some people like the pressure of a time crunch. They write best when they have 23.4 minutes to submit a five-paragraph essay on neurotransmitters. They speak best when they have 23.4 seconds to come up with a five-minute sales pitch. But most people don't like timed essays and limited-preparation speeches. They feel paralyzed. The ticking clock freezes their brains so that nothing comes to mind except a frantic voice that says, "Hurry up! Hurry up! Only five more minutes!"

Unfortunately, this pressure is unavoidable. In high school (and definitely college), students are required to take many timed tests, including the SAT in which the timed essay accounts for a full 25% of their score. Students are also buried alive under intense due dates and numerous essays. If they don't know how to use their time efficiently and how to write effectively, they will easily fall behind. Although graduation may free students from the pressure of timed essays and tests, they still must face the limited-preparation speech. The average person is more afraid of public speaking than death itself. As if public speaking wasn't bad enough, people are often asked to give a speech with only a few minutes (or seconds) to prepare. Talk about pressure! 

So is there a way out? Unfortunately, no. That is, not unless you want to avoid all weddings (might be asked to give a toast), graduations (might be asked to deliver a speech), churches (might be asked to lead a Bible study), businesses (might be subjected to a job interview), and colleges (might be required to take timed tests). Instead of running from the problem, we must face the problem and do our best to overcome our fears of time crunches and public speaking. 

Airborne is one way to do that. During this three-week course, we will attack these two fears head-on. We will start out with a basic overview of impromptu speaking and timed essay writing. Each of these lessons will be accompanied by practical exercises that will help students overcome the fear of public speaking and increase their writing or typing speed. From there, we will focus on the three basic parts of a timed essay or speech -- the introduction, the body, and the conclusion. Constant practice will give students plenty of opportunities to develop their speaking and writing skills. The weekly webinars will give students the opportunity to practice these skills in a supportive, friendly environment with a real, live audience.

Airborne doesn't require students to be brilliant, witty people. They just need a willingness to accept challenges and to step outside their comfort zone. No matter how comfortable they are with public speaking or timed essays, everyone will emerge from Airborne with new confidence and a greater ability to think, write, and speak on the fly. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi happycc,

We haven't used any of the winter phases other than Freehand but we are going to join you all for Eyewrite and Muse. My oldest can't wait as he LOVED the interactive format of Freehand. I am still considering Time Capsule for this fall and feel torn between that, IEW Medieval and beginning Writing with Skill (which used to be my 6th grade plan but I'm very intimidated by it and the teacher intensity). 

• 3 weeks later...

Hey abrightmom

So great to see your son back on at Attuneup.

My girls are loving Eyewrite. Freehand was their favorite too. One of my daughters liked Airborne more than the other. 

I would do Attuneup for Time Capsule honestly. Save yourself some hair and delay the white hair growing in. 

When it gets to this stage of writing, I find it so hard to critique their writing without either 1) hurting their feelings 2) it going in one ear and out the other 3) it becomes a battle zone  and I don;t know where to begin. Muse should be very interesting. 

The girls have changed so much from this class. It really helped them mature in many ways than just writing. Responsibility, critical thinking, speech (they are talking a lot more), reading comprehension, increase in vocab, understanding of grammar skills etc. 

Amy is so sweet and amazing and PATIENT AND POSITIVE! 

Hi happy :)

I agree about Amy. She is a delight to work with. My son is finding Eyewrite to be a bit more challenging but enjoyable. He strongly dislikes my critiques and efforts to help him edit his work. Sparks are flying! ;). After reading more about Muse I don't think he will do that one as he didn't take her other courses. Time Capsule is at the top if my list for fall. I want to have a better handle on the daily and weekly workload and intend to ask Amy more about that. I am hoping she will share a sample assignment with me or even a week's worth so I can assess the skill level and the workload. It may be feasible to do all of the Attuneup phases next year for a well rounded writing and communication program. I like what you shared about the skill improvements you have seen in your girls!!!

Amy will be offering a summer course and I can't wait to see what it will be. :)

Happy, what are you using for grammar instruction? We use Rod & Staff but I may move over to Analytical for 6th - 8th.

We are doing Eye write too!  It is a lot of work but ds is quickening up.  For us, besides writing the best thing ds has learnt is how to do a class on his own and be responsible for completing it on time.  He has taken it very seriously and like someone else said, we do the work before any other subjects to make sure it gets done.

I would love to do Time capsule but the time difference for us is a problem, we'll see.  I am a little concerned how much time it would take but as it is only until Dec it would be doable.

I didn't know about the summer course, do you know when it would start??

Thanks to the poster who alerted me to attune up, it's been great!

Stephanie

Again regarding Attuneup...

it is the first subject done here. When the Attuneup is intense....we just get the assignment done and some Singapore math. I honestly believe what she offers is pretty intense and deep and my kids have learned a lot. Vocabulary, critical thinking, history, science, grammar, oral communication etc. Not just writing. So I am ok with just them doing Attuneup and some Singapore during the weeks that it is intense. Sometimes it does seem like it takes my kids all day to get an assignment done and I am not sure why. Maybe lack of focus on my kids part. They get distracted or we have errands or other classes to go to. 

I have seen them become more independent with their learning and work which is good for me. 

Muse I believe require them to do a five paragraph paper but again Amy breaks everything down so it is not too bad at all. My kids really don;t ask me for any help at all for their work. I don;t intervene because I honestly have no idea. I am busy chasing toddlers and preschoolers. 

Time Capsule is a great intro to writing multiple paragraphs. 

I have no idea what is going to happen for summer. I am excited but then I kind of want a break from Attuneup and hit some other stuff too. 

We are planning to do Analytical Grammar. I can't stomache Rod and Staff for some reason. Maybe use it for high school and that is all I can handle. 

My kids have been writing all year now and MUSE is a huge writing WORKOUT for them. 5 Paragraph essays! These are intense. They recommend that people should take Time Capsule before doing MUSE by the way.

Anyways in terms of summer I spoke with Amy and looks like she is going to go relaxed and fun writing sessions for the summer.

My kids are begging me for a break right now and maybe it is because Muse is challenging them!

Let's see how they feel in a few weeks.

If you want further information regarding summer program, I recommend emailing Amy directly and if you get anything definite let us know.  

There are no sample lectures at this point online. That is a good idea for her to post some sample lectures. 

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

How is it going to those using Attuneup this semester? 

We are in our third phase and the girls (who did it last year) said they are learning even more than last year. She made some tweaks and improvements since last year which were good. My 3rd child who is 10yrs old and struggles in all areas had a private session with Amy and she seems to be doing ok. I haven't really paid attention honestly just hearing feedback from her older sisters. I was sick at the start of all of this and have been playing catch up since then.