Menu

Online Writing program: ATTUNEUP

I learned about this on my homeschool email list. It is Christian based as I believe they prayed at the end of some of the classes. The kids say she didn;t talk too much about God during the course.  I don;t know. 
Anyways, it is an online, video course with several other kids. The kids "talk" to each other through a chat box and listen to the teacher lecture with presentation for an hour once a week. However during the week the kids have readings and assignments. The work amount was large but the changes in their writing was LARGE too. I don;t recommend anyone below 6th grade level as it really requires a lot of reading and research and notetaking. My girls have learned a lot from this program and their writing has improved greatly. The teacher gives really good writing feedback and the kids have done well in her "class". Their vocabulary has grown exponentially.

We did the whole semester ==about 15 weeks. But you can just choose three weeks at a time. The class is a series...meaning the skills build upon each other however if your child already does a skill pretty well you can skip that course and move on. She throws in there a lot of grammar from analytical grammar too. In fact that is the grammar curriculum she recommends. She also covers figurative language as well. 

http://www.attuneup.com/

It was completely worth the money and agony of the work. She utilized two books... Story of the World Medieval and KingFisher History Encyclopedia. At the end of each week, when the kids submit their final essay she compiles the essays into a wonderful newsletter and sends it snail mail to each child. I recommend that each child gets their own computer and that each computer has microsoft word installed and that each child has their own set of books. Otherwise it makes waiting for the computer and book really hard and the assignments are harder to finish on time. Be prepared to have assignments Mondays and Tuesdays that can take an hour or so to complete. Then again on the day of the class-another hour and then after the class to rewrite their rough draft and submit it-another hour or so. So a total of 4hours at least per child. 

You can tell her that your kids don;t have an email and she needs to communicate to the kids directly through you. My kids are not allowed to have their own emails at this time in their life. She even sends them free music cd's (mostly classical) when they reach certain milestones! I have been so happy with my kids' writing improvements that I intend to sign them up next semester. 

The first week started with writing snippets. A subject and a verb basically. The end of the course, they were writing five paragraphs and were learning to utilize the texts and quotes as evidence. I am very happy with that because I was honestly not sure how well I would teach that on my own. I struggled with that even in college. 

UPDATE: I just went on her website and she changed up the classes for the Spring. I think a few weeks of creative writing in January and then research and citations February 17 - March 7and then March 10 - 28

Focus: Analyze and dissect others' ideas; discuss and develop your own and then this: March 31 - April 18

Focus: Timed essays and limited-prep speeches -- can you work under a time crunch? and  this:April 21 - May 9

Focus: Applying critical thinking and research skills to essay writing and then finally this :May 12 - May 30

Focus: Learning oral presentation skills.

Looks really good. I am happy! 

Amy Tanaka is from a big family-I think 8-10 kids and she was also a homeschooled student as well. She is really flexible with payment --basically pay whatever you can afford.  She doesn;t take credit cards so you will have to snail mail your payment. She is available via email and phone. 

She basically took one of my daughters who hated to write and was not per se a good writer into someone who is now comfortable with expressing herself with words. In fact not only has her writing improved so has her verbal speech skills. 

I am going to sign up my special needs 10yrs old for the creative writing class in January and see how she manages a special ed child.  I think my daughter will flourish though and Amy will once again do miracles. Amy is very sweet and positive. She gives really positive and encouraging feedback. I have not had any problems with her whatsoever. Regardless the class really provided the kids with a challenge. 

Amy just sent me an email thanking me for this review. She did not know I had placed a review on her writing course on the forum and was pleasantly surprised that several families signed up for her classes as a result of the review. 

I do want to note that Amy is really patient and understanding in regards to parents who might be technologically challenged when setting up the headsets, microphone, conference software. She allows kids to go online I think 15 -30 minutes prior to class to do a sound check. 

We were absent one day and that wasn;t a problem either however the information that is provided is so rich that I really didn't want my kids to miss a day. 

These courses will relieve a great deal of anxiety for me as I was not sure how well I would be able to teach good research writing skills with three kids (two of which are in middle school) along with a high maintenance preschooler and a one year old destroying the house. The idea of correcting three research papers every week and giving good feedback made me shudder. I am very grateful for a service like this that will allow me to focus on the other subjects. Writing will be one less thing to keep me awake at nights and it won;t be me having to get them to do the assignments! YEAH!

For the parents who signed the kids for the class, this would be a good place for us to share our experience, adventures, and  suggestions. It would be really neat to finally talk to other parents whose kids are also taking Amy's classes. 

Hi,

I wrote to Amy and offered to get a few kids together for the course after reading your review. I only wish that I found this last fall when she offered the beginning Tune Up class. I also asked that she consider teaching a section using SOTW 3 next year as the kids currently in the class will be ready for the next level. She was positive about considering that option. If you would be interested in that, please let her know. I thank you for making the post last week as I would have never found her otherwise. I added the information you posted to a thread that I started yesterday entitled "Talk to me about online classes. . . " 

Thanks for bringing this one to light. If you know of any other options, please add them to the list!

One more suggestion regarding Attuneup. 

For my family, doing the Attuneup assignments is a priority. 

So basically right after the kids wake, get dressed, do their chores, and eat breakfast, I tell them to start their Attuneup assignments to get that out of the way immediately.(Mind you we had to as we only had one set of books for the twins and one computer with microsoft. Maybe your mileage will be less intense with just one child doing this class or you will have two sets of everything.)

My preschooler had regular speech first thing in the morning twice a week so on those days, the kids started on the assignments as soon as we could when we got home and often times toted the work with us to the college campus where the speech therapy was occurring.

I just made a committment that that class took precedence.

Amy set the course up so the kids can fill out and submit an online checklist of the required assignments to show it was done. This was helpful to keep them on task and focused. My girls did learn a lot about how to submit essays to essay tagger and how to use microsoft and saving and giving their essays a title. I think she covered Margins too. I personally don;t know all the tips and tricks about Microsoft but the girls seemed to have a better working knowledge of it after the class. 

One more suggestion regarding Attuneup. 

For my family, doing the Attuneup assignments is a priority. 

So basically right after the kids wake, get dressed, do their chores, and eat breakfast, I tell them to start their Attuneup assignments to get that out of the way immediately.(Mind you we had to as we only had one set of books for the twins and one computer with microsoft. Maybe your mileage will be less intense with just one child doing this class or you will have two sets of everything.)

My preschooler had regular speech first thing in the morning twice a week so on those days, the kids started on the assignments as soon as we could when we got home and often times toted the work with us to the college campus where the speech therapy was occurring.

I just made a committment that that class took precedence.

Amy set the course up so the kids can fill out and submit an online checklist of the required assignments to show it was done. This was helpful to keep them on task and focused. My girls did learn a lot about how to submit essays to essay tagger and how to use microsoft and saving and giving their essays a title. I think she covered Margins too. I personally don;t know all the tips and tricks about Microsoft but the girls seemed to have a better working knowledge of it after the class. 

Hi abaent

Yes, I spoke with Amy right after the Middle Ages classes ended and she mentioned that they were going to do Book 3 eventually. I thought it was going to be in the Spring of 2015? But if she moves it to fall of 2014. AWESOME. Maybe if her classes will get so busy she can do two classes simultaneously. One for Middle ages and one for Renaissance. However that might be too heavy of a work load for her as she really does give great feedback and focus on each paper. 

Hi abaent

Yes, I spoke with Amy right after the Middle Ages classes ended and she mentioned that they were going to do Book 3 eventually. I thought it was going to be in the Spring of 2015? But if she moves it to fall of 2014. AWESOME. Maybe if her classes will get so busy she can do two classes simultaneously. One for Middle ages and one for Renaissance. However that might be too heavy of a work load for her as she really does give great feedback and focus on each paper. 

GREAT to hear! We will look forward to that course whether it be 2014 or 2015! Thanks!

Some people emailed me more about what parents can do to help support their kids during the class:

1) I have a set place for just the class-to hold their books and a notebook to store their notes and papers. No binder necessary but a lined notebook with a folder or so to store the papers. It is next to the computer since it is an online class.

2)I am going to make sure the kids take the headphones out after each use, roll them up so they don't get rolled over or tangled up in our chairs. 

3)With each week, there is a video to watch and a pdf  (parents can print out the form for them but after awhile my kids learned how to do this all by themselves-just click the link and go to print etc)to fill out either as you watch or after you watch the video or to be done while you are reading (notetaking)

4)Then after watching video, and filling out the pdf form, there will be some readings to do from the books.

5) After the readings, the kids are asked to submit their work progress. It is online same place as where you would find the day's lecture. 

That is day one. We usually do it on Mondays. It doesn;t have to be done until noon of the day of the Webinar and it was on Thursday at 3pm for us in the Fall. I have no idea when it is for the Spring. Assumption it will be at the same time and day.

Day two is pretty much the same. Another video, no pdf though but you refer to this for the whole week, any readings, start writing your rough draft and be done by noon of the day of the class. Submit your progress. Submit essay to essay tagger. We try to get it all of it done by Tuesday but sometimes it flows over to Wednesday and even right up to Thursday noon time. Somewhere to the right below the video, she writes exactly what reading assignments are needed and what other writing assignments as well. The kids check it off and submit when done.

Webinar day--- to prepare: sometimes there is a pdf file to print out ahead of time like a for a game, sound check 15-30 minutes prior to class 

After the webinar --sometimes she has the corrections and feedback for the rough draft done  (she sends that through email and I print it out in full for each child) and you can start doing the final draft.

Sometime before Saturday noon...you have to watch the final video of the week and it can help you with the final draft and then submit your essay to essay tagger before noon on Saturday.

The one things you should be aware though. You cannot work ahead. That was hard sometimes as we might have plans for a Monday or Tuesday and wanted to start working on the readings and such during the weekend but I guess she just wants us to enjoy the weekends. Usually on Mondays or Tuesday the kids are excited to receive their beautiful newsletter in the mailbox. My kids and I have definitely learned time management from this class. I think it would be less intense for other families because you might have less than two kids doing it at the same time and that you might have more than one computer with microsoft and more than one set of books. We had to do a lot of waiting in our house. Wait for one kid to finish reading before the other one could start, Wait for one kid done with typing up the essay before the other kid. Thank goodness, I got the kids a subscription to Typing Pal simultaneously to help them master typing skills. That helped immensely.

Oh she does send a password to type in to have access to the class. She changes the password time to time.

This was for Fall of 2013. I have no idea it if would be similar this Spring or not. I am excited for the wild adventure of the new semester. It truly is a new adventure as you watch your child's writing transform. 

Ok so I just read the requirements for Freehand and it doesn't look at all as intensive as what we did in the Fall. It looks like a slow ease in to the 2nd semester. Phew! 

No webinar, just daily internet access for about 30minutes a day. Class lasts only two weeks. Our family can so manage this considering this month of December...we have been on a slight hiatus. Between illnesses and holidays ---just don;t feel like doing much school work. 

Someone emailed me some questions and I tried to answer the best I could with what I had experienced with just one semester of her course. This will be my second semester with her. 

I have cut and pasted my response here:

Each child is different.  So let me give you a bit about my twin daughters. My daughters I have been told are shy and very quiet and I was worried they wouldn't participate in the class but they did A LOT. One of my daughters really liked writing (when she was in public school up to 3rd gradel) but stopped liking it when I had certain requirements such as full sentences, punctuations etc. The other daughter never liked writing and her writing was a bit strange. It often was fragmented and just wrote what was in her head like a conversation. I could never get her to write any other way without all the slang and conversation like tone. They both really used baby words.  It was like this: Dogs are really cute. I like them a lot. They have four legs and they all look different. Not very impressive....

Now their sentences are like this: 

The mighty Aztecs were polytheists. One of their gods, Quetzalcoatl, was believed by the Aztecs to be a feathered serpent which portrayed an essential role in the Aztec religion. (goodness, that is a better sentence than I can write.)

Or this: When the Aztecs first sighted him coming towards them on a horse, they thought he was a god because they never had seen a horse before. 

When I give my kids a writing assignment, they sit at the table blankly and say they can't seem to understand the directions of the writing prompt or how to begin or whatever. It is like pulling teeth and nail to get the first sentence out. 

However I didn't observe this with Amy's class. The kids just jumped in and did the work without asking me questions or how to explain this or that. Mind you, I did tell them "You need to do your Attuneup" or "When we get home, you need to start your attuneup." "Start your Attune up now!" "Are you staying focused?" Are you reading or playing? Lots of gentle reminders to get it done and stay focused like any other assignment. If they had any questions about the work, I told them to ask AMY. heehee.. 

Granted we have a lot of distractions in our house--baby, preschooler etc so it was extremely easy for them to be distracted and unfocused. UGH! 

My girls can be very lazy! But I tell them that the class is like taking your vitamins or medications. 

I believe strongly that good writing skills are important in this day and age. People take those who write and who can express themselves well more seriously. It is better to learn these skills sooner rather than later in my very humble opinion. It is misery to learn these skills while in college and learn how to juggle independent living at the same time. 

I think the biggest dread I had in college was the essays. I had no problems understanding the materials of what I read or heard in college but then to write the essay, I had many sleepless nights. If I had this class back in my day, my life in college would have been less stressful and traumatic. 

So you have to make the decision 1) how important writing skills to you? 2) if it is important to you, then make a committment that your child will learn to express themselves well. 3) Express your views and opinions clearly to your child and he will accept it....eventually. And thank you for it years later! 4)Do you feel you are able to carry forth what you want or even know what is necessary to write a decent research essay? 5) If not, then get outside help. 

Like any hard skill, it is a nightmare during the process but once achieved you are grateful for the knowledge. 

Freehand started and we are having fun here! 

Poems are abounding and I cannot believe how good these poems are! 

These kids never ceases to amaze me! 

Parents are evening jumping in as well. Fun Fun Fun! 

I think this is the only week we are doing poems and then next week or so moving on to something else.

Yesterday we wrote Haikus about snowflakes falling.  

Today we worked on a free hand poem about the moon and learned about moods using color...I have never learned it this way and it really helped me actually understand this better personally.

I haven't touched poem writing since i was in High school and Haiku not since 2nd grade. So fun and exciting.  

Amy's assignments are really creative. 

It is not too late to sign up! 

Is anyone else in this class and what do you think of it?

My 10 year old DD is loving this class as well. This is our first time taking a class with Attuneup and I like the structure and assignments. I agree that the poems are creative. The feedback received is also helpful and supportive. Since writing is done everyday my dd needs to be organized - it is really reinforcing and supporting her love for writing.

I agree that outsourcing is a wonderful addition and resource, as long as it is the right class. Just as an FYI, We are beginning a new online class today by Inspired Scholar, Renee Metcalf is the instructor. We will be taking Literary Adventures which is a combination of literature and writing (writing from an IEW perspective). We are looking forward to it, hopefully a rich conversation about the literature. I like that there is a writing component to the books that the students will be reading.

Are you doing the Inspired Scholar at the same time as Attuneup? I am curious how that will go. For our family right now we are outsourcing with Attuneup and they are also doing Youth Digital Arts. I would love to outsource math. I am having a blast teaching history and geography on my own but not enjoying math and science. Would love a great math and  science outsource! I am looking into Cybershala-A singapore math outsource. 

Yes we are, however we just started Inspired Scholar last week so by the time they will be writing Attuneup will be over. My daughter has enjoyed all of the different writing assignments for Attuneup.

We sort of outsource math with a tutor via Skype. She works with DD primarily on challenging word problems and intensive practice word problems from Singapore - and any other topic she needs extra help with, meaning anything else mom can't teach!! We used to work with Cybershala but had problems with several teachers. Our math tutor is excellent - very professional - dd enjoys working with her.

We are also enjoying Uzzingo as a science supplement .

Please tell me your math tutor. I would be very interested in having the girls work with her. Thanks for giving me a heads up about issues with teachers at Cybershala.

I am checking out Uzzingo now. 

I can;t believe Attuneup Creative Writing is almost over. 

Is anyone else staying on for the rest of the semester? I just paid for the WHOLE semester so hoping to see others. 

I want to give my girls more time with Amy so she can work longer with her and see where they need more work. I haven't consisdered other writing programs yet. This was my first main outsource online program ever and we really like it. 

How is Inspired Scholar going? Do they like it the same or as much as Attuneup?

I will send you my math tutor's info as a message...

I was really interested in continuing Attuneup but we have a schedule conflict and are unavailable on Thursdays for their live classes. I like the feedback my daughter is getting from Amy, it is honing in on the skills we have to continue working on.

Regarding Inspired Scholar, we are on week 2,and I like what I see so far. My dd had to turn in a summary about an author that they are reading. I'm interested in receiving the feedback. The class is small, 5 kids, so a lot of opportunities to engage. I am hopeful that we will get what we've been looking for in terms of an online lit/writing class. We've had lots of different experiences.

Hey thank you drum1019. I will contact her as soon as a get a moment to just breathe. 

My kids are dying to find out who won the contest for Attuneup..been checking every five minutes...

Anyone else joining in for the rest of the semester for Attuneup?

Hey thank you drum1019. I will contact her as soon as a get a moment to just breathe.

My kids are dying to find out who won the contest for Attuneup..been checking every five minutes...

Anyone else joining in for the rest of the semester for Attuneup?

I just enrolled dd13 in the Webcite course starting next month:)

Beck

Hey Beck: Welcome to the parents of Attuneup kids support group :)

Wow single mom and homeschooling!!! I did that for awhile as I was also going to Nursing school and I just didnt do a very good job homeschooling. It was more independent schooling. My hats off to you! I think things would have gone a lot better had my kids had more online courses. I had to bring them with me to my college campus and hired some college students to hang out with them in the student cafe. They brought their books and such but that was about it. I could barely work with them as I was constantly studying myself. I was taking a full load of microbiology, organic chemistry and anatomy and physiology. I still shiver when I think about all that now. 

Well let's stay in touch over the course and see if we can hold each others hand through this. I am so excited to hear they will be learning about the Titanic and reading A NIght to Remember. I think one of my daughters is a slower reader so this is going to be interesting but I think reading such a book will help her get to the next level she needs to go. It will give her that extra push to keep moving forward. Amy is so so good at explaining things. She has the patience that I do not have these days. ;)  

I recommend downloading the conference software she uses on the computers you are using. I forget the name now. And make sure each child has a headset. ALso go and purchase the book(s) now on Ebay or Amazon if you don;t have it already. I definitely recommend one book per child. 

Once she is back from the trip to Cambodia, it will be time to rock and roll. 

How many of your kids will be using Attuneup? 

I will have just two of mine. I had three doing the creative writing class and that was fine but I know this will be more intense so I will wait another year for the 3rd one who is 10yrs old. She will be doing TimeCapsule in the Fall. 

The work is hard but just stick with it and you will be so thrilled you did and so will your child. I was really proud we finished the semester and they learned a lot. 

• 2 weeks later...

No she doesnt want you to read it before class. Just have it purchased. But given our very busy schedule and that my girls may struggle with the book because it is more of an adult book, right, I may have them start reading it and absorbing the information. I don;t know.  

I may have the girls read a few pages to me and see how they manage. One of my daughters is a slower reader. In fact she has been slow lately in a lot of things. Spacey, adhd ish, gets herself distracted. She would be in the middle of working on a paper and see something on the floor and have to get up to pick it up. This can happen five or six times a half hour. Drives me batty. 

Hi Attuneup Moms,

Soooooo, any thoughts on the Titanic book? I haven't signed Jackson up or ordered the text yet though I am still considering it. He is basically begging me but I have reservations.  

Also, do we have to have a PC to do this class? What about Microsoft Word? We have a Mac though it's POSSIBLE we can pick up a PC laptop with Microsoft on it this week as we need another computer. 

I don;t think you need a PC. I thought any computer would do. You do need Microsoft word or some kind of word processor. It is best to talk to Amy about the details. I thought most computers are the same pc/mac. I could be wrong. 

The girls say the book doesn;t seem too hard for them. This is the second paragraph:

"This was the fifth night of the Titanic's maiden voyage to New York, and it was already clear that she was not  only the largest but also the most glamorous ship in the world. Even the passengers' dogs were glamourous. John Jacob Astor had along his Airedale Kitty. Henry Sleeper Harper , of the publishing family, had his prize Pekingese Sun Yat-sen, Robert W. Daniel, the Philadelphia banker, was bringing back a champion French bulldog just purchased in Britain, Clarence Moore of Washington also had been dog shopping, but the 50 pairs of English foxhounds he brought for the Loudounn Hunt weren't making the trip." 

Very doable for my girls. Would love for Jackson to join us. It should be fun and exciting. 

Well, I did correspond with Amy and I am leaning away from signing up. She refers to essay writing as a prerequisite skill and we haven't done that here. Jackson is working on paragraph writing and he just hasn't done any essay work. I am concerned about the size of the writing assignments and how much of my time may be required to assist him. If we'd done Time Capsule I think I'd feel confident moving forward. On the other hand, there is truly no risk! Amy is such a gracious lady and will allow us to test the class out and then drop if it's too big a bite. =).

I did order the book and hope to see it on my porch today. =) Amy will be giving a heads up as to some colorful language you may want to white out. 

Amy is so cool. Try it and see. If it is too much, just drop it. If not, then awesome. At least you will know exactly where you are in this whole writing process and what your goals will be for the coming semester or two.

All I can say is the girls are excited about reading an adult literature and writing about it.  I am too personally. 

The class on Monday is just doing the assignment on the website. You will watch the prerecorded video, read the book, print and answer questions and submit your assignments.

The webinar class on Thurs would require you guys to put this code into the conference software and your child will be able to hear Amy live rather a prerecording. She will lecture a bit, ask questions and the kids will input their answers on a chat box--all live. The kids will also be able to chat, ask questions with each other as well as to Amy. The kids LOVE talking to one another. Anyways, it is a like a real classroom environment without having to get dressed, get in the car and sit in a brick and mortar class. The kids have bonded with other in the past. Freehand did not have this option. Everything was done by posting a comment or submitting what you wrote and just typing an encouraging review. This time the kids chat live time and at some point if you have headphones with speaker options they can hear each others voices and talk to each other like on a conference line. Hope this makes sense..if not just let me know and I will try to better explain this. 

We did Mondays assignment already as tomorrow is Presidents Day and we plan to go to the Tech museum. We will do the next assignment tomorrow night if we are not too tired from the museum or Tuesday morning. Wednesday--our day is packed and we never do ANY school on Wednesday. It is like our Sunday. Our schedule just somehow worked out this way. Thursday morning-we are busy with something so these times would be the only time to get our work done. 

We're in!  Book is purchased and she has day 1 of the homework done.  This was such a lifesaver for us!  Thank you so much for posting.  Just Monday, my dd came to me and asked how to do the research for a paper on the internet.  I had no clue!  Even in college, we weren't allowed to use the internet as a resource and Encyclopedias are going by the wayside (at least the hard copies are).  This course is very timely for us.  

Thanks again!

Dorinda

Thanks so much for this info on this writing program. This is exactly what I was searching for, for my son. I don't think I would ever have found this program on my own so thank you! I really wish she was offering Time Capsule this spring or summer, but we are definitely in for next fall!

So just to let you know, I do very little handholding for the kids. I just make sure they are there at the table in front of the computer where they need to be and that all the technological stuff is dealt with properly and they are on their own. Same goes with their 3 assignments they do on their own without the webinar. I showed them how to open the pdf file and print out whatever they need. Then submit stuff on their own. I did put folders with their names on the desktop so they can store/save their written work on microsoft. I showed them how to make a title and save their document and be  sure to change the title if they make changes and want it resaved without changing format like their name or whatever.

My kids are having fun chatting it up with everyone right now. This is going to be a FUN semester!

Good updates ladies :). We opted out of WebCite but with a bit of uncertainty as to whether it was the right decision. My son was disappointed but we are using Wordsmith Apprentice in the interim and he is writing his first novel :). He plans to get published on his first try and become the next JK Rowling. Rags to riches!

I can't wait for Time Capsule and I wish it could begin in summer so we can tackle a meaty writing course before regular school begins. I am also thinking about condensing this IEW SWI for him and tackling the units we haven't done into about 12 weeks. He would love it and pick up new skills and add tools to his growing Writer's Toolbox.

HI! We're very happy so far, and I'm thrilled dd is learning useful skills in citation that we have not tackled yet. I like that it's starting out with manageable chunks, then adding citation and polishing using her very useful comments. So far no technical issues with the web class. Dd is working pretty independently at this point. I did help her a bit with her Bible research project, but that's because she's not used to using a concordance.

Beck