Menu

need appropriate literature help

zetpal

DD-13 is and has always been a gifted and avid reader (eg. on vacation at the beach, I actually said "Please, put down King Lear and help your sisters build that sand castle!) She's always done w/ the Sonlight readers & read-alouds by Thanksgiving, and I think she plans on reading every volume in the local library ;)

Having a dickens of a time (pun intended!) trying to keep ahead of her and determine what literature is appropriate- she may think she's going on 18, but still I want to protect her from inappropriate topics! She's far better read than I (course right now, she has more time!)

Anyone know of any great books sites that may give synopsis of works, so I can at least preview what she's picking up to see what she's looking to read?

TX!

SHaron

I have an old book called "Plot Outlines of 100 Novels." It appears to be out of print, but I would guess there's something similar out there.

When you're wondering about a particular book, you can google it or look it up on Amazon for a summary.

If her casual reading includes any 'teen' or 'young adult' novels, that is truly where you need to be most cautious, imo. I'm utterly amazed at the huge number of 'issue' books geared as low as 5th grade. Suicide, drugs, murder, mental illness, violent parents, violent parents with mental illness . . .

It's not that I think young people shouldn't read about these issues, but if they do, it should be in the context of quality writing that treats the issue seriously, not just as a plot device or dramatic hook. I'll let my kids read about serious issues, and I'll let them read the occasional junky novel, but a combination of the two should be avoided at all costs!

thank you all for the info- it does help a great deal!

Fortunately, she does not seem to gravitate towards those "teen" books, but I do know what you mean. Mostly, it's those that tend to be good literature but I don't know the plots so not really sure if they're at her level of maturity.

Off to check at those sites-

Thanks for the help!!

Sharon

When my son was younger and we lived in TX I relied on the ladies at our used bookstore. One had had an advanced reader and she was brilliant and seemed to have read every available volume! I would (if I had one here in MN) cozy up to the ladies at the independent bookstore near you. They tend to be avid readers and they can help you choose.

Melissa