Menu

Book a Week in 2013 - week fifty one

Robin M

Late to the discussion on how to read so many books in a year, I want to add this quote from Louis L'Amour's memoir Education of a Wandering Man (which I've just started reading).

In the one year during which I kept that kind of record, I read 25 books while waiting for people. In offices, applying for jobs, waiting to see a dentist, waiting in a restaurant for friends, many such places.

And he didn't even have a Kindle!

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, I have another thought, but the books are not romances.

The Don Camillo books by Giovanni Guareschi are a light enjoyable read. It is a series of six or so books about an Italian priest and his nemesis the Communist mayor set in 1950s Italy. The priest sometimes talks to Christ on the cross who talks back.

Start with  The Little World of Don Camillo.  (Wow, I see this is a brand new translation for Kindle that came out on December 13 of this year!) The paper versions appear to be out of print, but perhaps your library will have one. The wikipedia entry will give you a good idea of the content of the series.

Regards,

Kareni

I just ordered this. Thank you everyone who made suggestions!

Influenza A has hit our house hard.  I thought being sick would lend it self to lots of reading.  Not relaly, can't focus....

Hope you are all feeling better quickly. :grouphug:

“In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you.â€

―Mortimer J. Adler

:iagree:

Stacia! I finished Cinnamon and Gunpowder this morning - what a fun read! Thanks for sharing it. :)

Yay. I just finished it too. I also enjoyed it -- probably a solid 3 to 3.5 stars from me; I think the ending (around the last 5-10 pages) was the best part of the book. I think I enjoyed it less than I had hoped, but still found it a fun & fairly fast read. I can't put my finger on why it didn't thrill me as much as I had hoped it would -- maybe because so much of it was told in a diary/past tense format, making it lose some of the immediacy, imo. Love the cover art.

I'm back from vacation! Anyone miss me? :seeya:

Me! :grouphug:  Good to see you back again! :001_smile:

44. Leonardo Sciascia, The Wine-Dark Sea

45. André Gide, The Immoralist

Good to see you again too, Violet Crown! :seeya: :grouphug:

Sick today with the Perfect Flu: genuinely too sick to get out of bed, and yet able to read between naps. So I'm finishing off some books I'd started. Just finished St. Cyprian, The Lapsed/ The Unity of the Catholic Church, with lots of helpful annotations to get one through the occasional thicket of third-century thinking.

http://www.amazon.com/Lapsed-Catholic-Ancient-Christian-Writers/dp/0809102609

The first section, De Lapsis, is especially interesting. What do you say as bishop of a diocese that's just gotten out from under a persecution, and you've got people who rushed right away to apostatize, people who apostatized after varying degrees of torture or threat thereof, people who didn't apostatize but got forged certificates saying they did, and people who held firm? Everyone wants to come back to the church, and everyone has different views on what should be done, ranging from They Can Never Come Back, to All Is Pardoned. The kind of book that reminds you that ancient history involved real people.

I hope those of you with the flu, even if it is the Perfect Flu (really Violet Crown?  You can focus to read while sick?!!) are feeling better in short order.  Lousy time of year to be sick.

I put the holiday madness on hold for several hours today so I could finish my mystery, The Last Detective by Peter Lovesey.  Dishes are stacked on the counter, boxes of ornaments and decorations are scattered across the house, and wrapping paper, ribbon and bows are spilled across the dining room table -- but it all has to wait to be dealt with til tomorrow.  Sometimes a mom needs a few selfish hours on the couch with a good book.  

The LA Times had a short piece about the trend of people posting "shelfies" -- photos of books cases in their homes.  Some of you shared photos of your book-spine poetry earlier this year, so I wondered if anyone is interesting in finishing 2013 with some "shelfies"?  

The LA Times had a short piece about the trend of people posting "shelfies" -- photos of books cases in their homes.  Some of you shared photos of your book-spine poetry earlier this year, so I wondered if anyone is interesting in finishing 2013 with some "shelfies"?  

Then there are those of us who could post not only "shelfies" but "stackies"!

Regards,

Kareni

I hope those of you with the flu, even if it is the Perfect Flu (really Violet Crown?  You can focus to read while sick?!!) are feeling better in short order.  Lousy time of year to be sick.

I know, right? Usually queasiness makes it impossible. And since we're between semesters, dh and Great Girl are free and taking care of all the household and Christmas stuff and bringing me hot tea. I think I might malinger.

I finished Left Hand of Darkness, by le Guin. Great book! I had some birthday money left and I decided to order her Earthsea saga and Dispossessed.

Yesterday I finished Little Brother by Cory Doctorow. It was a nice, fast read, but I think I would have liked to end the Coursera course with Left Hand of Darkness in stead of with this book. This felt a bit easy and juvenile. After finishing Little Brother I actually felt a bit lost. I had no idea what to read, which is positively ridiculous because I have way too many unread books in my house :lol: , but I liked having this course syllabus to keep me on track.

Mumof2, does your dd have any new fun courses lined up?

Anyone elso who can recommend something?

I have been thinking about an Edx course of Greek literature, A Greek Hero in 24 Hours. The course ends in January, but I have downloaded all reading schedules and video lectures. However I noticed that the thought of doing this course is making me a bit tense. It looks like a difficult course, with heavy reading, and I'm not sure I'm up to that after my daily self-ed of Latin & Greek.

Anyway, we started our Christmas break today and I got an email from my library to pick up Goldfinch. :thumbup1: Perfect timing. Guess what I will be doing tonight :D.

----------

23. Little Brother - Cory Doctorow

22. Left Hand of Darkness - Ursula le Guin

21. The Martian Chronicles - Ray Bradbury

20. The Monsters, Mary Shelley & the Curse of Frankenstein - D. & T. Hoobler

19. Herland – Charlotte Perkins Gilman

18. A Princess of Mars – Edgar Rice Burroughs

17. Digital Dementia – Manfred Spitzer

16. The Island of Doctor Moreau - H.G.Wells

15. Selected stories and poems - Poe

14. Vlucht uit het land van de vrijheid - Anna Meijerink

13. Insurgent - Veronica Roth

12. Frankenstein - Mary Shelley
11. The Smartest Kids in the World - Amanda Ripley
10. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks - Rebecca Skloot
9. Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass - Lewis Carroll
8. Dracula - Bram Stoker
7. Balzac and the little Chinese Seamstress - Daj Sijie
6. The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath
5. Shards of a Broken Crown (Serpentwar Saga book 4) - Raymond E. Feist
4. Divergent - Veronica Roth
3. The Pleasure of Reading in the Age of Distraction - Alan Jacobs  (reread)
2. Dream of Joy - Lisa See
1. The Shallows - Nicholas Carr

Yesterday I read Nora Roberts' newest book Dark Witch (The Cousins O'Dwyer Trilogy); it was a pleasant read.

"With indifferent parents, Iona Sheehan grew up craving devotion and acceptance. From her maternal grandmother, she learned where to find both: a land of lush forests, dazzling lakes, and centuries-old legends.

Ireland.

County Mayo, to be exact. Where her ancestors’ blood and magic have flowed through generations—and where her destiny awaits.

Iona arrives in Ireland with nothing but her Nan’s directions, an unfailingly optimistic attitude, and an innate talent with horses. Not far from the luxurious castle where she is spending a week, she finds her cousins, Branna and Connor O’Dwyer. And since family is family, they invite her into their home and their lives.

When Iona lands a job at the local stables, she meets the owner, Boyle McGrath. Cowboy, pirate, wild tribal horsemen, he’s three of her biggest fantasy weaknesses all in one big, bold package.

Iona realizes that here she can make a home for herself—and live her life as she wants, even if that means falling head over heels for Boyle. But nothing is as it seems. An ancient evil has wound its way around Iona’s family tree and must be defeated. Family and friends will fight with each other and for each other to keep the promise of hope—and love—alive…"

Regards,

Kareni

I'm back from vacation! Anyone miss me? :seeya:

I managed to get one book read while gone. Just one. This means I won't make it to 52 books this year which is fine.

So did I miss any really good must read books posted here?

Welcome back! I won't make it to 52 either, but it's been a great year even so.  There are so many must reads posted here every week--I'm afraid to go back and read them for fear my book budget will implode.  :laugh:

Finished Think of a Number by John Verdon. I can't remember if I heard about it here or on one of the many booklists I peruse. It was a pretty good murder mystery even if it felt like I was reading an episode of NCIS. I kept thinking I would have it all figured out but there was a bit of a surprise twist at the end which got me. This was the author's first novel.

Anyway, we started our Christmas break today and I got an email from my library to pick up Goldfinch. :thumbup1: Perfect timing. Guess what I will be doing tonight :D.

Me too. Ds just finished his proctored Latin exam, so we are now free for the holidays. Plus, I also just picked up The Goldfinch from the library! (However, things will be busy for us, esp. between now & Christmas, so I hope I can eke out some time here & there.)

Just came across Random House Holiday special sweepstake - go sign up to win:  We're giving away a prize pack that includes copies of Sonali Deraniyagala's 'Wave,' Lawrence Wright's 'Going Clear,' George Saunders' 'Tenth of December,' John Green's 'The Fault In Our Stars,' Karen Russell's 'Vampires in the Lemon Grove,' Elizabeth Gilbert's 'The Signature of All Things,' Khaled Hosseini's 'And The Mountains Echoed,' Colum McCann's 'TransAtlantic,' Anthony Marra's 'A Constellation of Vital Phenomena,' and Sheri Fink's 'Five Days At Memorial' to one lucky winner chosen at random!

I think I'm done with my crazy end of the year book buying. Nice my son doesn't like to shop, so I get to pick out what books I want and say they are from him.  :lol:

Are you familiar with World Book Night?  It will next take place on April 23, 2014. 

"World Book Night is an annual celebration dedicated to spreading the love of reading, person to person.  Each year on April 23 â€“Shakespeare’s birthday– tens of thousands of people in the U.S. go out into their communities and give a total of half a million free World Book Night paperbacks to light and non-readers."

Learn more by going to their website.  The deadline to sign up to become a book giver ends on Jan. 5, 2014.  Visit the Be a Giver page for more information.

Regards,

Kareni

I read this a few weeks ago. I loved the fact I couldn't figure out how the number part was happening. I went on to read the second in the series. Not as clever(I did figure quite a bit of that one out) but not bad. I have the next one waiting to be read. Looking forward to it.

Finished Think of a Number by John Verdon. I can't remember if I heard about it here or on one of the many booklists I peruse. It was a pretty good murder mystery even if it felt like I was reading an episode of NCIS. I kept thinking I would have it all figured out but there was a bit of a surprise twist at the end which got me. This was the author's first novel.

Tress --

Dd hasn't been able to find a literature Coursera that really suits her starting in January. There is a course named the Modern and the Postmodern from Wesleyan which is the only "maybe" we have found. She did the Ancient Greek course from Wesleyan last summer and really liked it. She has signed up for some math and science ones. Archeology's Dirty Little Secrets and an Intro to Forensics are starting later in the spring.

I give up on Dr Zhivago and it is going on the shelf for good. Tolstoy, Pasternak is not and I am in a constant state of confusion as to who is who and doing what? No point in slogging through and killing the joy of reading in the first place. Decided to start Winter's Tale and Helprin's writing is refreshing and am already enjoying the story.

The Christmas frenzy has begun!  I love it!

I have had a little time for reading, and finished Edie Investigates. It was an extremely short short story, so I won't be including it in my book count, but it was a great little read about one of my favorite characters from Anglemaker.

Other than that, I haven't been able to read very much.  I've started a few things, but nothing has really got my attention.

I have enjoyed this thread so much this year.  Getting to discuss books with others who love to read as much as me is so wonderful.  I look forward to joining in next year's thread.   :laugh:

Yay! I finished The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym. My continent challenge is complete. Now I have started The Gifts of the Jews: How a Tribe of Desert Nomads Changed the Way Everyone Thinks and Feels, by Thomas Cahill. It was in my stack and seems to be appropriate for the season. I hope it is better than his one about the Irish, I couldn't finish it because I kept falling asleep.

I really shouldn't be web browsing when in a buying mood and I'm all finished shopping! :drool5:

HCH46FX_mx.jpg

Uh, Robin? Link please. The rest of us will help you bear the burden of temptation. :D

I was on a board break for a while, and kind of dropped off this thread a bit earlier. I have been reading, though, and will finish out with 60 books for the year.

Right now, I am finishing up the year with a cozy mystery, Billionaire Blend by Cleo Coyle, then Gabriel's Angel by Nora Roberts. That will make 60 and then on to the new year!