Menu

Who's going to see the second Hobbit movie?

Kathryn

We were planning on going at noon today, but my 8yo is being awful and going has been tied to his behavior. But, my 4yo, who was just going along for the ride, is now excited about it, so I might have to end up taking just him tomorrow. I'm disappointed that my 8yo might not get to see it since we read the book together and he's the real fan.

Anyone else going soon?

Went last night at midnight! The joys and hard times of having teens!

Be prepared it ends at the worst place ever!!! You will be saying no at the end, even if it's just silently to yourself.

Thank you for the warning!

We just might make it today after all. I was hoping to go today because it's the last day of public school and I don't enjoy crowds.

Went last night at midnight!  The joys and hard times of having teens!  

Be prepared it ends at the worst place ever!!!  You will be saying no at the end, even if it's just silently to yourself.

I took my 12 yr old last night.  We had a blast at a double feature that started at 9pm.  We got home at 3am :)  Fun times!

I agree that it ends at a very bad place.  The guys in front of us said a couple of bad words at the end.  My daughter looked at me and said, "I don't think they like where it ended."

Kelly

We went to see the midnight premiere last night.  My high school kids asked if they could and my answer was "only if I can come too."  On a school night (they got to ps).  Does that make me a horrible mom or an awesome mom? ;)

It made me feel better that two of their friends came along.  I drove everyone. it was fun.  Now I'm tired (and I'm guessing they are too... dh got up and drove them all to school).

I'm not too keen on seeing it.  We were all so disappointed with the first one. 

DH read that it's much better than the first one, though PJ took more liberties with the book.

College Girl saw it at the midnight showing last night with about 40 people from her school, and she wants to see it as a family tomorrow (she's coming home today).  She NEVER wants to see a movie immediately after seeing it, so this is a first for her.  All that to say, it does sound like it's much better than the first one.

Took my adult son with autism - he loved it.  I sorta did, too.....SPOILERS below...

too much time spent with the Nimble Ninja Elves for my taste. C'mon already!  I did like the moments showing Bilbo coming under the influence of the Ring...and realizing it a bit.  And - Colbert!  Did you see him in Lake Town?  I did!

I will wait for some family reviews before I see it. I might even wait until I am home for the holidays. Being a HUGE Tolkien fan that only goes to show how tiresome I find PJ.

PJ often seems to have different definitions of what is "Tolkien's work" than I do.

I don't think PJ is a very good story teller. The things he adds seem trite and immature compared to the story. I could probably find fanfiction that took the story in more interesting directions. I saw in the trailer them mentioning Legolas having some sort of romantic interest. Legolas is a bromantic not a romantic.

I saw some things in the trailer that I liked but there was also things that I found really annoying.

Not I. I'm still peeved about its being turned into a 8 hour, three movie "epic." That's five hours and two movies too many.

Not me! More to love! :)

But then, I see the books and movies (speaking collectively about LOTR and the Hobbit, here) as separate entities--I love them each for what they are, and my enjoyment of one is not dependent on the other. I accept that the movies are different creatures altogether. If I want a pure Tolkien experience, I read the books.

We want to go see the movie soon, but I haven't figured out what to do with my 8-month old yet.

I saw it earlier today.  I didn't like it.  I don't think I'm giving away any spoilers to say:

1. way too many ridiculous unbelievable special effects (someone above mentioned ninja elves, yep)

2. way too many things that are different from the book.  REALLY different.

3. way too much of an attempt to tie in to the LOTR trilogy - adding multiple characters from LOTR, having Gandalf running about the countryside, a scene in the Prancing Pony, etc.

I'm glad I only paid $5 because it was before noon.

I saw it earlier today.  I didn't like it.  I don't think I'm giving away any spoilers to say:

1. way too many ridiculous unbelievable special effects (someone above mentioned ninja elves, yep)

3. way too much of an attempt to tie in to the LOTR trilogy - adding multiple characters from LOTR, having Gandalf running about the countryside, a scene in the Prancing Pony, etc.

I'm glad I only paid $5 because it was before noon.

Gandalf was running around during that time learning about the Necromancer but I haven't seen the  movie so I don't know if it goes way off canon on that.

Ugh your post is really not making me feel better. :( I might see if we can see it before noon. 

Gandalf was running around during that time learning about the Necromancer but I haven't seen the  movie so I don't know if it goes way off canon on that.

Ugh your post is really not making me feel better. :( I might see if we can see it before noon. 

Oh, was that part actually in the Hobbit?  Oops.  I will have to read it again next week so my criticisms will be perfectly accurate. :)

I think I might be the only Bah, Humbug! anti-Hobbiter who posted... just wanted to say that I didn't downvoted the thread. Why would anyone do that?

Sometimes if people are on their phone they accidentally down vote things or some people are just crabby.

I use mobile view on the phone so don't see any of that (there's just the ability to "like" a post). I'd probably be like Godzilla trying to use desktop view on the tiny screen... leaving a trail of carnage and havoc.  :lol:

I liked is just OK. It felt too long to me but only because of the added material that is very accurately critiqued below:

We saw it last night.  My girls were critical of the changes in the first movie although they enjoyed it, but they loved this movie.  They both smiled, jumped and laughed through the whole thing.   I do like that they gave Smaug more lines to take advantage of Benedict's voice.  The ride home was full of Smaug impersonations.  

I haven't read the book since last year, but I'm pretty sure it was mentioned that Gandalf was off doing those sorts of things even though we don't follow him in the book. I didn't mind it or the scene at the Prancing Pony since they were more fleshing out the story. I wasn't overly fond of the Tauriel story line or the dramatic ninja elves, but I was okay with it.

There were less times in this one than the first when I sighed and thought to myself, "this is why it's so long." I felt like the story was better paced and I think it helped that I didn't quite know what to expect when.