Menu

TT or Saxon Math with Saxon Teacher DVDs?

Quiver0f10

Saxon Math with Saxon Teacher DVDs or TT DVDs? Between these 2 choices, which would you choose and why? One of the students has dyslexia and dysgraphia, if that makes a difference. Thanks.

Edited to add: I am leaning towards TT because the kids can type their answers onto the computer. With Saxon they have to write everything out. I really like Saxon though and both these would do well with Saxon.

Haven't used Saxon so I can't compare them.  I do have two dyslexic children and one is also dysgraphic, though, so I thought i would chime in about TT.  Teaching Textbooks has been a good fit for my dyslexic/dysgraphic son because so much is done on the computer, as you mentioned.  That being said. he retains the information better and sees the steps more clearly when he does the work in the workbook first for the more complex problems, then types the answers in the computer.  It really helps to have the workbook, though, because he has a lot of difficulty copying from the screen to a piece of paper.  If you had the time, and were willing to sit with him, I guess you could copy the problems, let your child dictate the process and the answer then let him enter the answers in the computer himself.  

Both of my kids love that if they miss a problem they can see an example of that EXACT problem to find out why they missed it and they also both love that they can look at their grade book and see how they are doing.  They also like that they can log on independently and do their math without needing me for much of it.  My daughter is also dyscalculic, though, so we have had to stop TT temporarily for her while we work on subitization skills in more depth.  I also supplement what they are both learning with material from MM and free websites, though, so that they get extra practice in areas they struggle and I don't let them move on until I am certain they have reached mastery level on a concept for that level of material.  Some kids can just use TT without extra practice and do fine.  Mine don't seem able to.

I will mention also that as you may have read elsewhere, there are those that say this program is not robust enough.  It DOES seem to be behind where other programs are in terms of what they cover in each grade level, but if your children take the placement test, then it will be placing them where they need to be, not at some arbitrarily assigned grade level that might have nothing to do with their actual knowledge in a subject.

Also, I was at a homeschooling convention in May and was seeking a math program for my dyslexic kids.  I had three different young adult dyslexic homeschooled girls, in three different conversations, tell me to use TT.  All three (not related to each other) were successful with this program, their parents only had them supplement a little with other programs once they reached mid-High School level, and all three went on to college.  They all did well on the SAT/ACT.  Two were getting ready to graduate college.  I found that interesting.  One was even representing another homeschooling curriculum but secretly told me that for non-dyslexics she would recommend the one she was representing but for a dyslexic, and especially for a dyslexic/dysgraphic she strongly recommended TT.

Hope some of that helps.  Sorry I can't comment on Saxon.  I hear it is great, though.  I just know it probably wouldn't work for my own kids for various reasons.

Check out the Virtual Homeschool Group's at your own pace Saxon, with recorded lessons (similar to the style of Khan Academy) and all answers are done and scored on the computer. We're doing Alg I this year with them. They also run live online classes that run with the regular school year, but this one doesn't have a seating cap and can be started at any time. Currently I know they have Alg I and, I think, Advanced Mathematics fully done, and they are working on some other levels. Bonus---it's all free! http://www.virtualhomeschoolgroup.com/

Another option to consider with the Saxon are the Art Reed dvds for instruction, which are only $50 per level, but that doesn't help with the writing. http://www.homeschoolwithsaxon.com/

Saxon did not work well with my oldest who has visual and processing difficulties. My 2nd one also has a vision problem and probably processing issues as well, and she would be struggling with Saxon if I weren't sitting with her everyday. My oldest did better with TT by far, and if I weren't able to sit with my second for Saxon, I would have her doing TT in a minute.

Check out the Virtual Homeschool Group's at your own pace Saxon, with recorded lessons (similar to the style of Khan Academy) and all answers are done and scored on the computer. We're doing Alg I this year with them. They also run live online classes that run with the regular school year, but this one doesn't have a seating cap and can be started at any time. Currently I know they have Alg I and, I think, Advanced Mathematics fully done, and they are working on some other levels. Bonus---it's all free! http://www.virtualhomeschoolgroup.com/

Another option to consider with the Saxon are the Art Reed dvds for instruction, which are only $50 per level, but that doesn't help with the writing. http://www.homeschoolwithsaxon.com/

KarenNC, I have my dd using VHG's Physical Science and it's working well for her.

So, I just want to understand how the algebra works, do they actually do each problem on the computer, not just tests?

KarenNC, I have my dd using VHG's Physical Science and it's working well for her.

So, I just want to understand how the algebra works, do they actually do each problem on the computer, not just tests?

Yes. Basically, it's multiple choice or type in the answer. The problem sets allow multiple tries, the tests are first attempt. I would suggest signing up for it and checking it out directly. If you wait until the summer sign up, they might have a live class going. We couldn't do the live class because the lecture times conflicted with other commitments.

Yes. Basically, it's multiple choice or type in the answer. The problem sets allow multiple tries, the tests are first attempt. I would suggest signing up for it and checking it out directly. If you wait until the summer sign up, they might have a live class going. We couldn't do the live class because the lecture times conflicted with other commitments.

Thanks! Something to think about. :)