Menu

Anyone ever used SL core 5?

ga girl

... a 7th and an 8th grader. In addition to the reading list from SL5, we "beefed it up" for middle school by:

- adding a comparative religions component

(Milliken publisher, "Inside...." (World's Great Religions series) -- a nice booklet each on Hinduism, Buddhism, Islam, Judaism, Christianity)

- made our own atlas

(printed and marked free maps from National Geographic Xpeditions Atlas -- http://www.nationalgeographic.com/xpeditions/atlas/ -- added sticker of the flag's country; for each country we listed: capital / population / major language(s) / major religion(s) / major resources; and then wrote 1-2 paragraphs from readings on that country from World Book Encyclopedia CD, Wikipedia online encyclopedia, and "Circling the Globe", an out of print picture atlas)

- learned countries and capitals

(free online geography games at: http://www.sheppardsoftware.com/)

- added books to the SL5 list to learn about countries not covered by SL5; also substituted some books more at a middle school level for some of the simplier SL5 books

- watched videos/DVDs from the library with various countries we were studying as the setting

Enjoy! It was a fabulous year -- fascinating, and a great break from always focusing on history. And already we're reaping great benefits from spending time on learning about where these countries are, and the cultural/religious aspects of the countries -- as we discuss current events, for example! Warmest regards, Lori D.

I'm on my second go-around with Sonlight 5. My oldest dd did it as scheduled nearly 10 years ago. This year, we are supplementing it with Abeka's 9th grade geography.

The main suggestion I have is to pre-read the books, especially for your 3rd grader. There is some subject matter in some of the books that you may not want your 3rd grader (and possibly your 5th grader) to read about. Reading level is pretty easy, subject matter is not necessarily right for younger kids. Pre-read and determine if your kids could handle it. You all will have a rich year if you decide to go with it. Enjoy!:)

I did not care for it.. least favorite of the cores we have done (1-6). The main reason for us was the info covered, for the most part, we already knew or had a good bit of exposure to. I felt time covering the areas was lopsided. I think if you are a family of faith and mission work is in your future, then you will love it. If you are just looking for exposure to cultures in the Eastern Hemisphere, you still may enjoy it, though many find the EHE to be busy work. Otherwise, I think there are other resources that can give you the same experience at a fraction of the cost.

We are loving Sonlight 5. I have not used EHE because it looked like tedious busywork. Instead, we have scrapbooked and done Country Report Projects for Any Country as reinforcements. We also add and subtract books and projects to suit our style. Cooking projects are always a hit here! SL 5 is very flexible, since it is topical. We have mainly used the IG and the library.

HTH!

We are loving Sonlight 5. I have not used EHE because it looked like tedious busywork.

Yep, we didn't use EHE either. We also added books from the library. If you could find it, I would highly recommend the book "Ties That Bind" when you're studying China. There is a follow-up book to that one, but I don't remember the name.

Yep, we didn't use EHE either. We also added books from the library. If you could find it, I would highly recommend the book "Ties That Bind" when you're studying China. There is a follow-up book to that one, but I don't remember the name.

Do you know the author for that book? I'm finding quite a few with that title.

I'm actually reading that to my kids right now. The full title is Ties That Bind, Ties That Break by Namioka and it's a great book.

This is my 2nd time through Core 5. We really didn't like using the World Book Encyclopedia the first time through. We did it the year before the EHE was published.

This time, we're doing a heavily modified version without WBE or EHE. We're using the Enchantment of the World series as our primary spine. Our library has a book from that series for nearly every country we want to cover.

Instead of the EHE, we are using the Country Study Lapbook from Knowledge Box Central. Instead of using manila folders, we are just using hole-punched cardstock in a 3-ring binder to glue the minibooks to.