Menu

What holiday cd's/music do you like?

OnTheBrink

Will you still like me if I admit how much I like Bob Rivers and John Denver?

I also like Placido Domingo and Luciano Pavarotti's Greatest Christmas Album on Earth so I'm not a rainbow-puppy-unicorn hater, but I lost one of the CDs.

I did replace my Raffi cassette with a Raffi CD when little ds was conceived.

This year we're trying a Reggae Christmas album and a Punk Rock Christmas album, but they were used so i can just toss them or give them away if they flop.

I like anything that doesn't have the Little Drummer boy song/Parumpapumpum and Do You Hear What I Hear.   :)

We love A Toolbox Christmas - so creative and not annoying at all.

I happen to love the cd my brother made for me of the Bare Naked Ladies Xmas songs.  We laugh so hard and never tire of hearing it, even when it's not Xmas.

I'm a bit unconventional when it comes to Xmas music.   ;)

Twisted Sister's verwsion of O Come All Ye Faithful is amazing!

http://www.amazon.com/Twisted-Christmas-Sister/dp/B003U8G62U

any of Brian Setzer Orchestra's Christmas CDs http://www.briansetzer.com/discography

The Twisted Sister Christmas CD is awesome!  I love their version of the Heavy Metal 12 Days of Christmas.  Other favorites are Celtic Thunder Christmas and Nox Arcana's Winter's Eve (not remotely traditional).  I like Trans-Siberian Orchestra, too.

Here are some of our favorites:

The Revels (any and all)

Michael Crawford's A Christmas Album

And Winter Came by Enya

Judy Collins' Come Rejoice

Windham Hill's A Celtic Christmas Celebration

Narada's The Christmas Collection

Paul Horn's The Peace Album

Bing Crosby's White Christmas

Here's a link to an older thread on the same topic with lots of great suggestions.

Regards,
Kareni

Our favorites:

-Nat King Cole The Christmas Album (this one has an amazing calming effect on my disabled dd, so it's on my iphone and in the car and gets played year round)

-Diana Krall's Christmas album (same dd is listening to it right now)

-GRP Christmas Collection volumes I,II, and III (jazzy instrumentals)

-A Winter's Solstice III by Windham Hill (I'm sure I and II are good too but we only have III)

-Roger Whitaker's Christmas album is a sentimental favorite from my childhood (my dad looked like the cover photo of Roger in the 70s), but my immediate family tends to mock me a bit.

I think I have to buy Josh Grogan's Christmas album--my dd's aide has been playing it for her at school and apparently there's a song on there that they use for calming her much as I use Nat.

Guest inoubliable

Nat and Bing, of course. Tim Minchin's

makes me cry every time I hear it. And somewhere around here is a CD of family members in Scotland with their bagpipes playing something yadayada. I just like the sound of the bagpipes. 

Someone here recommended Sting's If on a Winter's Night. I bought it and all three of us love it! Of course, I should admit that I am a bit of a Christmas music junkie, but we also enjoy:

Barenaked for the Holidays- Barenaked Ladies

What's it Gonna Be, Santa?- Chicago

All I Want For Christmas- Straight No Chaser

At Christmas- James Taylor

December- Kenny Loggins

Christmas Carol-James Galway

I'm currently into the New York Voices new Christmas album called let it snow. If you like vocal jazz, you should check them out....they are amazing!

Other favorites around here are:

Harry Connick Jr.

Ella and Louis

Mel Torme

Anything Nat and Natalie Cole

Crystal Lewis acoustic jazz Christmas album

An Evening in December volumes 1 and 2

Diana Krall

Take 6 He is Christmas

Christmas with Yolanda Adams

And, even thought it's not really a Christmas album, I always pull out Whitney Houston's Preacher's Wife soundtrack....amazing singing on that one :) .

Nobody has mentioned Pink Martini's Joy to the World.

Nice mix of holiday songs and when I'm by myself in the car I don't feel at all ridiculous singing along with the Ukranian, Japanese and Italian songs. 

“Pink Martini is a rollicking around-the-world musical adventure … if the United
Nations had a house band in 1962, hopefully we’d be that band.†– Thomas
Lauderdale, bandleader/pianist