Menu

Logic of English Users- How is it going for you?

quietchapel

For any of you who are using anything from Logic of English, how is it working in your family? Our learn to read program has resulted in numerous long- term problems, so I am leaning toward using this. I am intimidated to learn a new system and by the cost, though!

Specifically, I am wondering if it relatively easy to use, what type of progress do you see in your children, and what your overall experience of the program has been. Thank you!

We are using Foundation level for my 6 year old. So far he has completed level A and is a couple lessons away from finishing B. He was not reading before we started A. We tried a couple of different programs with no success. He did know his letters and sounds. I am excited about his progress. He should finish Level C at the end of the year. I just love this program. I feel it is very open and go. I do no real prep before we start the lessons.

I've been using Essentials since .  . . uh . . . wow, maybe since january? and we're almost done with chapter 33.  We take it pretty slowly, no more than 20 minutes / day, because my son still dislikes LA - but his spelling is better, his reading is better, and whats more exciting is that we have a common language to discuss spelling.  Just now he asked how to spell "injoy" and I said its En Joy . . and he got it.  2 days ago he asked how to spell massively.  I asked what the base word was, and he said mass, m-a-s-s.  "And iv?" "i-v-e" "Yes!  and lee?" "l - y" "Right!"

I only wish i had another child to go through the program with!  I'm seriously in love with it!  My older kids didnt need this kind of help, they were both early readers, and the middle was a natural speller and the oldest could manage well enough.   Its also helped me understand things that never made any sense to me, such as when to double letters and when to drop silent e's before adding suffixes.  

It is very, very easy to use, not hard to figure out,  and open and go.  When I started w/ dd she knew most of the single letter phonograms, although not all the sounds of the vowels.  We are just starting in Level C although we could have finished C time wise months ago dd is a perfectionist and gets overwhelmed easy so we have taken it nice and slow and for awhile we spread out lessons over a week.  Dd is making very good progress, she has a good foundation from LoE and her fluency is coming along very well, at this point she just needs time and practice.  I will definitely be doing this program with my next 2 as well.  I love the way she incorporates all styles of learning.  It is such a thorough program but yet she keeps it very fun and engaging.

I'm using Foundations A with my son. We'll probably move to B in Jan or Feb. So far this is my favorite reading curriculum (I have experience with RIGGS, OPG, AAR, WRTR). Lessons are short. They're thorough. As mom of an active boy it's wonderful he can move his body during the lessons too. He knows more than A covers in many ways (sans handwriting) but the level of awareness in how the sounds work and why (beyond just this is the sound they make) has made it worth starting at the beginning.

I've been using Essentials since . . . uh . . . wow, maybe since january? and we're almost done with chapter 33. We take it pretty slowly, no more than 20 minutes / day, because my son still dislikes LA - but his spelling is better, his reading is better, and whats more exciting is that we have a common language to discuss spelling. Just now he asked how to spell "injoy" and I said its En Joy . . and he got it. 2 days ago he asked how to spell massively. I asked what the base word was, and he said mass, m-a-s-s. "And iv?" "i-v-e" "Yes! and lee?" "l - y" "Right!"

I only wish i had another child to go through the program with! I'm seriously in love with it!

I'm using it (after blend phonics) with a second student. The combo is yielding good results in two very different students. The common language has worked for us.

I forgot to say - before I started, i watched the entire teacher training video, which i found very helpful.  I had trouble really paying attention to the whole intro section, but once you get used to it, its really open and go.  I dont do any prep at all.

I forgot to say - before I started, i watched the entire teacher training video, which i found very helpful.  I had trouble really paying attention to the whole intro section, but once you get used to it, its really open and go.  I dont do any prep at all.

LOL- One of my dd's watched it with me. LoE really is open and go.

Essentials - Another older student (11yo) here.  In the beginning I tried to follow the suggested schedule in the front of the book, but it was too much information for dd to absorb even though she had finished levels one and two of AAS.  I had to rethink my goals.  Did I want to get through the program quickly or get the most out of the program?  

We had only finished eight lessons before summer, and when we restarted school this fall I decided to review each lesson.  It has gone much smoother than it did in the spring.  I think we've gotten past the "new program awkwardness" and dd has matured.  Spelling seems to have suddenly clicked for dd (this happened to another sister at this age also) but I plan to continue with LOE.  I want her to be confident in her ability to spell.  

DD often found the spelling words to be easy but the alternative lists were too hard for her.  We are using the words from LOE's high frequency lists for her spelling words while we have been reviewing the lessons.  I call out the spelling words to her and once she's missed approximately five (out of 30?) we use those for her spelling list for that week.  

We've hit the point where we will be starting new lessons.  I'm looking forward to learning new material at a relaxed rate.

I am starting Foundations C with my son. He was a strong reader before we began Foundations A. However, because he taught himself to read I knew not how, we started with the basic phonics and took off from there so he could get a better foundation in spelling and actually SOUNDING OUT words, which was very hard for him. Because I use it a little differently, I do not use it open and go but find what we need from the lesson and take our time cementing the facts. I love the curriculum! My son loves the games and sometimes begs to play "just one more time!" or even request doing English first if he knows its a game. A wonderful way to learn and I highly recommend it .

Rebecca

My ds is 5.5.  We started Foundations A in January and took a few months off for summer/pregnancy.  We are currently 1/3 of the way through C.  This is the only Phonics program we have used (fully) so I can't compare.  But I have to say that we really love it.  My ds did know his initial phonongrams for A-Z, but was not reading or blending CVC words yet.  The program is pretty much open and go. The teaching and  directions are very straightforward.  She does offer lots of (optional) suggestions for enriching the lessons.  I use workboxes so I put in whatever phonogram/game cards or special things we may use for the next day.  I do look over the lessons at the beginning week so I have a basic idea of what we are doing.

The lessons are detailed enough so that you aren't lost but at the same time flexible enough so that they are adaptable to what works best for your child.  It did not take me long to find my grove and to instinctively know what parts of the lessons to focus on and what parts to relax on.

My ds may be a natural reader but it is so nice to see that he can understand and verbalize why things work the way they do.  He is not afraid to try to read new words and uses the skills taught to try and decode them, nor is he afraid of trying to spell new words based on what he knows. He genuinely likes playing the games and doing the worksheets.  The program is also good for his ""wiggles" too.  

I started out on a whim w/ the beta version (I had been planning on something else.)  However, I would now pay the full price (plus some) for its ease of use, effectiveness and enjoyment.  Really loving it.

Roadrunner, what dont you like about it?  I admit, after having done some MCT with my older son, I find it a bit awkward, but my son seems to get it, so I'm not going to stress.  There is no one right way to do grammar.  This week it said to get a toy car and a toy dog to act out the prepositions - I told my son to bring me a toy car and a toy animal and of course he brought a cat - he was SO happy with that lesson lol

Roadrunner, what dont you like about it? I admit, after having done some MCT with my older son, I find it a bit awkward, but my son seems to get it, so I'm not going to stress. There is no one right way to do grammar. This week it said to get a toy car and a toy dog to act out the prepositions - I told my son to bring me a toy car and a toy animal and of course he brought a cat - he was SO happy with that lesson lol

I am spoiled by MCT. :)

I am using grammar portion for my DS 2 and finding myself doing MCT style analysis to bring some clarity to parts of speech versus parts of sentence discussion. I also find it a little awkward and not very logical in progression. However, mechanics practice is fine.

I've gone back and forth on whether to use MCT with this child - he was just so late to talk / read / write.  My older was advanced in all of these, but the abstract nature of MCT sometimes tripped him up.  I have a few books only - paragraph town, all of voyage, and WWW and one other of that level, I forget what.  I'm not convinced that the in depth grammar study helps enough to have to fight this mathy kid to make him do it

I hate to butt-in on a thread, but I've been looking a lot into LOE lately and its good to see so many people that seem to like it! My question for you all that have used it, is if I start in Foundations B, would I feel like I have "missed" something? My dd (5) is already reading CVC words & blends as we've been working on OPGTR for 6 months now, so I feel like Foundations A would be too "easy" for her. Then again, she does need work on handwriting. I just don't want to spend the money on A if it's going to be so much review.

My ds (6) was reading CVC, blends, and some long vowel words. However, he was a struggling reader and writer. Reading lessons were a chore and tear inducing for both of us. He was exhibiting some symptoms of dyslexia. I decided to change it up and go with LOE Foundations. Even though he really could have started in B, I decided to start from the beginning. I'm so glad we did. It brought back confidence and joy in learning to my ds. Also, it was helpful for some of the issues he was having.

I'm not sure if your dd has any issues, but if not I'd say B is fine. Just make sure she knows the phonograms from A well. Also, the formation of the lowercase letters are in A, so you might want to check out the handwriting book if that's important for your dd. B covers the uppercase letter formations.