Menu

Rhode Islander, soon enough

Hi there,

I'm now in Moscow, Russia where I have been living with my family for four years. We return to RI in June. My oldest child was homeschooled for first grade, but is now in a Russian math school--we just couldn't resist giving him the chance to gain real fluency. My now kindergartener is homeschooled this year, with tutoring in Russian and math.

We plan to homeschool the lot of them when we return to Wakefield, RI.

Any other RI here?

How about Muscovites or other expats?

We had a house in South Kingstown, between Charlestown Beach and Greenhill Beach. While we generally don't miss New England (dh was teaching at a boarding school in CT at the time), we do miss getting lobsters fresh from the boats in Point Judith. In fact, we had our first lobsters on Thursday night since leaving RI/CT almost 4 years ago. Heaven!

Point Judith!

We haven't lived in RI for more than a decade, and never with children. After so long in big cities--NYC, Moscow--we are excited to live some place we really love to be. The seawall, Moonstone beach, the breakwall at Jerusalem, the libraries!!!!!(we've been without access to an English language library for 4 years), the narrow river, the ferry to Block Island--I can't wait!

I'll miss our friends here, though, and our great tutors. But for a tomato patch and a boogie board I'll give up this foreign travel, at least for now.

Yeah, the libraries were great. Of course, given what we were paying in property tax, they better be! lol. We love grocery shopping at the Mini Super in Charlestown Beach and getting ice cream at 'Round the Corner Ice Shop. We also loved all the beaches - each with its own personality.

My girls were just babies there (almost born there 13 weeks early). We left when they were 3. Definitely fond memories....Enjoy!