Menu

Book a Week in 2013 - week forty seven

Robin M

Re: Passenger to Teheran:  I didn't know, thank you for mentioning it! I have been looking at a number of books set in that region, a number of them either set in or written around ~30 years ago... if I end up reading them, and you've seen them, I would love your perspective.

Vita's book doesn't have as much of Teheran as I would like (well, it is overall more concise than I would prefer... which has led to me placing a hold on the companion volume about her second trip...

Eliana, I'm always open to suggestions. I may have heard/read of some of them. If you or anyone is interested, I have a Persia board on Pinterest. Every time I go through it, I get all nostalgic. I do so miss it, but it's obviously no longer the Iran that I remember. I have no interest in going there again. Besides, it would be extremely unsafe and foolish, given that we're Baha'is. 

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday I read with pleasure The Heiress Effect (The Brothers Sinister) by Courtney Milan.

"Miss Jane Fairfield has made a career of social disaster. She wears outrageous gowns and says even more outrageous things. The only reason she's invited anywhere is because of her immense dowry--which is all part of her plan to avoid marriage and keep the fortune-hunters at bay.

Mr. Oliver Marshall is the illegitimate son of a duke. His acceptance in society is tenuous as it is. If he wants any kind of career at all, he must do everything right. He doesn't need to come to the rescue of the wrong woman. He certainly doesn't need to fall in love with her. But there's something about the lovely, courageous Jane that he can't resist...even though it could mean the ruin of them both."

I'd reread recently both the prequel and first book of the Brothers Sinister series in anticipation of reading this book.  All are good historical romances; the author has some creative plotlines which I've enjoyed.

Regards,
Kareni

Just finished Plants Don't Drink Coffee by Unai Elorriaga (a Basque author). It's refreshingly sweet & charming (& a little bit bittersweet too) -- a lovely little tale. The description/review that I linked is spot on, imo.

Definitely recommended, esp. for those who enjoy international literature. (Link to the book on Archipelago's website.)

Jane, you might enjoy this very short article & podcast where the author & translator discuss the book & the translation. (I haven't listened to the entire podcast yet, but have listened to the short clip where the translator discusses translation.)

-----------------------------

On a somewhat separate note, I noticed an event on the Archipelago Books site that may be of interest to our Belgian friends Tress & loesje22000 (in case you are in the Brussels area): Nov. 26 Book Release party at Passa Porta to celebrate the newly-released translation of a Hugo Claus book of poetry, Even Now.

Quoting myself:

I started reading more of it last night, and now it has me hooked. I'm only on Chapter 3 but they're long chapters. My Kindle says I'm at 12%. 

I have The Secret History, also by Tartt, but decided to read The Goldfinch first for no particular reason.

I'm having trouble putting The Goldfinch down to do important things like eat, sleep, and take care of my family. Yesterday I posted that I was 12% in. Today I'm at 41%. Those of you who plan to read it, if you have young children you might want to get a sitter. Fortunately I have a teen who does much of his schoolwork online and can fend for himself in the kitchen.  :lol:

Of course, I'm still less than halfway through and I don't know where it's going. I might feel differently when I finish, but so far I'm loving it. It has great characters, an interesting plot, and is really well-written.

Just finished Plants Don't Drink Coffee by Unai Elorriaga (a Basque author). It's refreshingly sweet & charming (& a little bit bittersweet too) -- a lovely little tale. The description/review that I linked is spot on, imo.

390.jpgElorriaga-Gabantxo.jpg?itok=z-VIvgM8

(Book; Author Unai Elorriaga & Translator Amaia Gabantxo [photo by Debra Corrie])

Definitely recommended, esp. for those who enjoy international literature. (Link to the book on Archipelago's website.)

This looks like it would be a fun book, but my library doesn't have it - not as an ebook or a physical copy. :(

This looks like it would be a fun book, but my library doesn't have it - not as an ebook or a physical copy. :(

Mine didn't either (& I belong to two separate library systems). This is one of the books I bought recently during a sale at Archipelago's website. (I buy very, very few books. I'm pleased with my purchase as this charming tale was worth the price, imo.) I think Archipelago's books are not widespread (they specialize in translating editions of books that might not otherwise be translated) & I'd guess that very few libraries carry their books.  :mellow: 

As usual, Jenn and I seem to be on the same page (so to speak).  I loved A Study In Emerald -- fantastic Sherlock Holmes pastiche right up to the green alien blood!  And I had just ordered a copy of Desolation Island after reading the nonfiction The Bounty two weeks ago.  Funny enough, Desolation is the one book out of the Aubrey series that my library doesn't have (lost? stolen?), so I don't have to break my library ban to get hold of it.  :D   The book-before-last from Elizabeth George, Believing The Lie, is on my shelf (a Goodwill cheapie) but I'm not sure I am up to a chunkster from her.  I got really, really exasperated with this series over the last few books.  I did love it at one time, though, so I guess I ought to crack it open.  Happy reading!

First of all  :hurray: to similar reading tastes.

And since you are a fan of Elizabeth George, I have to share that I tried a beer the other night called "Chuffed"! It is a term I associate with Barbara Havers in the Lynley series.  It was a bitter ale, very British, and I was quite chuffed, actually, to find it on tap at a local craft beer restaurant.   :cheers2:

PSA- Toy planes can hurt.   My 2 year old fell on a toy plane today and ended up in the hospital for 7 hours before having surgery to repair an ear :(

I got to read a bit and am reading through Big Sleep.  

I finished The Girl with Three Legs: http://www.amazon.com/Girl-Three-Legs-Memoir-ebook/dp/B005JWUC7U/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1384921707&sr=1-1&keywords=the+girl+with+3+legs  That was a tough one to get through.

PSA- Toy planes can hurt. My 2 year old fell on a toy plane today and ended up in the hospital for 7 hours before having surgery to repair an ear :(

I finished The Girl with Three Legs: http://www.amazon.com/Girl-Three-Legs-Memoir-ebook/dp/B005JWUC7U/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1384921707&sr=1-1&keywords=the+girl+with+3+legs That was a tough one to get through.

So sorry to hear about you little one! Hope the surgery results are successful & that the healing is quick. Sending hugs.

The Girl with Three Legs sounds absolutely harrowing.

I used WorldCat and it appears that no libraries in Florida carry the book.  The closest copy to you is probably at the University of Georgia.  You might try interlibrary loan.

Regards,

Kareni

PSA- Toy planes can hurt.   My 2 year old fell on a toy plane today and ended up in the hospital for 7 hours before having surgery to repair an ear :(

I finished The Girl with Three Legs: http://www.amazon.com/Girl-Three-Legs-Memoir-ebook/dp/B005JWUC7U/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1384921707&sr=1-1&keywords=the+girl+with+3+legs  That was a tough one to get through.

Poor little guy!  And poor you!!  Hope the surgery went well and he is back home wreaking havoc soon.  One of my boys dodged serious injury when he did a face plant on a toy plane once -- he had a small scar just below his eyebrow for many years.  

I totally agree. I am at roughly the same point and spent a good chunk of yesterday getting to that point. It is not what I expected from the description but so good I don't care!

I'm having trouble putting The Goldfinch down to do important things like eat, sleep, and take care of my family. Yesterday I posted that I was 12% in. Today I'm at 41%. Those of you who plan to read it, if you have young children you might want to get a sitter. Fortunately I have a teen who does much of his schoolwork online and can fend for himself in the kitchen.  :lol:

Of course, I'm still less than halfway through and I don't know where it's going. I might feel differently when I finish, but so far I'm loving it. It has great characters, an interesting plot, and is really well-written.

Sorry about the little guy.  Hope he's better soon!

We finished Patricia St. John's "Treasures of the Snow" and enjoyed it very much.

I'm still going through Wolf Hall.  It's very good, but I'm finding less time to read than I might normally do.  Might have something to do with the sappy Christmas movies on Hallmark, but I'll never tell.

Ok, remember how I said that Jules Verne reminds me of Felix Unger from The Odd Couple (because Verne so fastidiously 'tidied up' Poe's story of Arthur Pym)? Well, in Nellie Bly's book, as she was starting her trip around the world, she took a slight detour off her course to meet Jules Verne & his wife because they were fascinated by the fact that she was attempting the trip. Apparently the Vernes were a very nice couple & sounded completely lovely. However, I had to chuckle when Bly described Verne's study as being quite bare & very tidy (unlike most other authors she knew). I just *knew* he was a Felix Unger type! :lol:

For those working on their 2014 wishlists :laugh:  especially since there are only 40 days left in the year (yikes)

10 Books that wouldn't exist without Flann O'brien

Random House has a pinterest page - discover your next new book

20 must read steampunk books - an introduction to the genre

More Book News:

Guillermo Del Toro's vampire book The Strain gets a tv series

Goodreads is in the final round of voting for Best books of 2013 through 11/25

Short Story Wednesday:

Ray Bradbury's A Sound of Thunder

This book sounds interesting, imo. I will have to look it up when it is released in the US. It is about kids who are very convinced they are reincarnated & provide incredible detail about their past lives.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2509769/New-book-reveals-children-believe-reincarnated.html

I *love* stories like that!

I just finished a young adult fantasy novel.  This is not the usual genre I read; however, I've enjoyed the author's romances in the past.  I'm impressed by the fact that the author writes in her second langauge.  And, yes, I enjoyed the book which is her debut work in this area.

The Burning Sky (The Elemental Trilogy) by Sherry Thomas

"Just before the start of Summer Half, in April 1883, a very minor event took place at Eton College, that venerable and illustrious English public school for boys. A sixteen-year-old pupil named Archer Fairfax returned from a three-month absence, caused by a fractured femur, to resume his education.

Almost every word in the preceding sentence is false. Archer Fairfax had not suffered a broken limb. He had never before set foot in Eton. His name was not Archer Fairfax. And he was not, in fact, even a he.

This is the story of a girl who fooled a thousand boys, a boy who fooled an entire country, a partnership that would change the fate of realms, and a power to challenge the greatest tyrant the world had ever known.

Expect magic."

Regards,

Kareni

What a lovely page!  (and I've placed a hold on Pomegranate Soup!  It looks delightful...)

If I were even to travel the world, I, too, would not feel it safe to include Persia/Iran on my list, despite my great interest in the region and the culture(s).

Here are a few of the titles I have on my list:

My Uncle Napoleon

Caspian Rain

Things We Left Unsaid

Missing Soluch

Savushun

Septembers of Shiraz

Rooftops of Tehran

Thank you, Eliana. :) Pomegranate Soup was sweet - not the best book I've ever read, just sweet and cozy, if you know what I mean. I have some fond memories of it still and I haven't read it in years. 

My Uncle Napoleon is a true story, but very, very sad. It was a TV series when I was a child. Iranians seem to love tragic endings. Not my cup of tea at all. 

Rooftops of Tehran was okay. Can't remember it too well and yet that's the one I've read most recently of all these. 

Funny in Farsi & Laughing Without an Accent are hilarious. 

I'm off to search your other titles. :) Thank you for the list. 

Now for "The Goldfinch". I don't want to do spoilers but at roughly 70% through it has turned into a bit of a bore. A character that I did not care for has returned and I am not enjoying the book currently. I will finish it because the first part was wonderful and I have read almost 600 pages..... I am curious how Floridamom is doing with it. Hopefully it is just me.

I had a late night, could not sleep, kindlefest last night. I read "A Bite to Remember" by Lynsay Sands. It was great! A fun vampire romance.

Happy Birthday Robin!

Now for "The Goldfinch". I don't want to do spoilers but at roughly 70% through it has turned into a bit of a bore. A character that I did not care for has returned and I am not enjoying the book currently. I will finish it because the first part was wonderful and I have read almost 600 pages..... I am curious how Floridamom is doing with it. Hopefully it is just me.

Oh no! I have a feeling I know who it is, although I could be wrong. I didn't get very far. I had a back procedure yesterday (outpatient) and didn't get to read much. I'll have plenty of time today while I take it easy, and tonight while ds is at art club.

I have finished The Island of Doctor Moreau by H.G.Wells. I'm going to skip the other Wells' books in order to keep up with the course, but I plan to get back to them when the course is over.

I'm reading Digital Dementia by Manfred Spitzer. It's a German book, translated into Dutch (and Spanish according to Amazon), I couldn't find an English translation. It apparently made quiet an impression in Germany. It's comparable to The Shallows, but more scientific. I find it interesting, but...this author really needed a good editor. It's longwinded with lots of repetition, which is too bad for such an interesting book.

I'm reading Monsters, Mary Shelley and the Curse of Frankenstein. Very interesting and a good read. Thanks Stacia!

I'm also reading the first book in the Wheel of Time series. I have never finished the series, I think I got stuck somewhere around book 6 ( :seeya: to Karen in CO), but I was looking for something relaxing.....you know....medieval atmosphere, taverns, blacksmiths, friends on a journey, good food, nothing too horrific.

-------------

16. The Island of Doctor Moreau - H.G.Wells

15. Selected stories and poems - Poe

14. Vlucht uit het land van de vrijheid - Anna Meijerink

13. Insurgent - Veronica Roth

12. Frankenstein - Mary Shelley
11. The Smartest Kids in the World - Amanda Ripley
10. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks - Rebecca Skloot
9. Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass - Lewis Carroll
8. Dracula - Bram Stoker
7. Balzac and the little Chinese Seamstress - Daj Sijie
6. The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath
5. Shards of a Broken Crown (Serpentwar Saga book 4) - Raymond E. Feist
4. Divergent - Veronica Roth
3. The Pleasure of Reading in the Age of Distraction - Alan Jacobs  (reread)
2. Dream of Joy - Lisa See
1. The Shallows - Nicholas Carr

Floridamom, I hope you recover quickly from your procedure and aren't too uncomfortable. I had back surgery back in the dark ages and remember the pain. I think I spent 5 days in the hospital 20 years ago....

Just wanted to let you know "The Goldfinch" did improve vastly after the boring 50 pages or so. I finished it this afternoon. :)

Finished Book 12, "The Gathering Storm," this evening!  I was worried that I wouldn't make it through all of them by the end of the year, books 9 and 10 were a little bit of a slog in parts, but now I have new excitement.  This last book went really quick!

I'm also reading the first book in the Wheel of Time series. I have never finished the series, I think I got stuck somewhere around book 6 ( :seeya: to Karen in CO), but I was looking for something relaxing.....you know....medieval atmosphere, taverns, blacksmiths, friends on a journey, good food, nothing too horrific.

Yeah!!  "The Eye of the World" is one of my favorites in the series.  It really is an epic series.  I hope you make it through to the end!

I finished my kindle book this morning "Death of a Cozy Writer" which which won an Agatha Award a few years ago. It is by GM Malliet who wrote another series that is high on my wish list but can't find at a library here.

Is it Wicket Autumn by Malliet?  I just finished it and really enjoyed it!  Looking forward to the next one and hopefully more in a series.  :)  Did you like Death of a Cozy Writer?

Just finished The Professionals by Owen Laukkanen.  Pretty good, fast-paced story about 4 college grads who decide to turn to kidnapping since the job market sucks.  lol  Gets complicated when they kidnap the wrong guy.

Next on my nightstand:

The Newlyweds by Nell Freudenberger (reading now)

Surprised by Oxford by Carolyn Weber (I think I saw this one recommended here?  A woman's coming to faith story at Oxford where she studies Romantic literature.)

The Signature of All Things by Elizabeth Gilbert  (A brilliant young woman botanist falls in love with a man who is very spiritual, the opposite of where her studies into evolution take her.)

The Second Ship by Richard Phillips  (Rho Agenda book 1.  YA (I think) sci-fi)

Brilliance by Marcus Sakey  (Something about genius/savant children and what happens when they grow up, how their genius sides work with and/or against their "average" aspects or something like that.  Fiction.)

Completed:

Book #51 - "The Happiness Project" by Gretchen Rubin. I'll have to try some of her ideas. My take-away quote is from p. 179 - "It's easy to make the mistake of thinking that if you have something you love or there's something you want, you'll be happier with more."

Book #50 - "All But My Life" by Gerda Weissmann Klein.
Book #49 - "The Money Answer Book" by Dave Ramsey.
Book #48 - "Financial Peace Revisited" by Dave Ramsey.
Book #47 - "The Total Money Makeover" by Dave Ramsey.
Book #46 - "The Bronze Bow" by Elizabeth George Speare.
Book #45 - "Heart of Darkness" by Joseph Conrad.  (WEM)
Book #44 - "The Gifts of Imperfection" by Brene Brown.
Book #43 - "I Thought It Was Just Me (But It Isn't)" by Brene Brown.
Book #42 - "Be Still: Using Principles of the Gospel to Lower Anxiety" by G. Sheldon Martin.
Book #41 - "Daring Greatly" - by Brene Brown.
Book #40 - "The New Testament" - Authorized King James Version (1611). (Inspiration)
Book #39 - "Teachings of Presidents of the Church - Lorenzo Snow"
Book #38 - "The Red Badge of Courage" by Stephen Crane. (WEM)
Book #37 - "Recovering Charles" by Jason F. Wright.
Book #36 - "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" by Mark Twain. (WEM)
Book #35 - "Maphead" by Ken Jennings.
Book #34 - "Portrait of a Lady" by Henry James. (WEM)
Book #33 - "Earthly Deligihts" by Kerry Greenwood. (Australian author, Australian setting.)
Book #32 - "The Year of Learning Dangerously" by Quinn Cummings.
Book #31 - "The Uncommon Appeal of Clouds" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, Scottish setting.)
Book #30 - "The Forgotten Affairs of Youth" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, Scottish setting.)
Book #29 - "The Charming Quirks of Others" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, Scottish setting.)
Book #28 - "I am Half-Sice of Shadows" by Alan Bradley. (Canadian author, English setting.)
Book #27 - ""Brainiac: Adventures in the Curious, Competitive, Compulsive World of Trivia Buffs" by Ken Jennings.
Book #26 - "Because I Said So!: The Truth Behind the Myths, Tales & Warnings Every Generation Passes Down to Its Kids" by Ken Jennings.
Book #25 - "A Red Herring Without Mustard" by Alan Bradley. (Canadian author, English setting.)
Book #24 - "The Case of the Man Who Died Laughing" by Tarquin Hall. (British author, Indian setting.)
Book #23 - "The Lost Art of Gratitude" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, Scottish setting.)
Book #22 - "The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag" by Alan Bradley. (Canadian author, English setting.)
Book #21 - "Academic Homeschooling: How to Give Your Child an Amazing Education and Survive" by Tracy Chatters.
Book #20 - "The Comforts of a Muddy Saturday" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, Scottish setting.)
Book #19 - "The Return of the Native" by Thomas Hardy. (WEM.)
Book #18 - "The Careful Use of Compliments" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, Scottish setting.)
Book #17 - "The Right Attitude to Rain" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, Scottish setting.)
Book #16 - "Inspector Singh Investigates: A Most Peculiar Malaysian Murder" by Shamini Flint. (Singaporean author, Malaysian setting.)
Book #15 - "Friends, Lovers, Chocolate" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, Scottish setting.)
Book #14 - "Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie" by Alan Bradley. (Canadian author, English setting.)
Book #13 - "Portuguese Irregular Verbs" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/]Scottish author, German character, German/Swiss/Italian/Ireland/Indian settings.)
Book #12 - "In Cold Pursuit" by Sarah Andrews. (Antarctica setting.)
Book #11 - "Anna Karenina" by Leo Nikoleyevich Tolstoy. (Russian; or WEM challenge.)
Book #10 - "The Sunday Philosophy Club" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, Scottish setting.)
Book #9 - "The Limpopo Academy of Private Detection" by Alexander McCall Smith. (]Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)
Book #8 - "The Saturday Big Tent Wedding Party" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)
Book #7 - "The Double Comfort Safari Club" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)
Book #6 - " Tea Time for the Traditionally Built" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)
Book #5 - "Crime and Punishment" by Fydor Dostoevsky. (Russian; or WEM challenge.)
Book #4 - "The Miracle of Speedy Motors" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)
Book #3 - "The Good Husband of Zebra Drive" by Alexander McCall Smith. (]Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)
Book #2 - "Blue Shoes and Happiness" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)
Book #1 - "In the Company of Cheerful Ladies" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)

Is it Wicket Autumn by Malliet?  I just finished it and really enjoyed it!  Looking forward to the next one and hopefully more in a series.  :)  Did you like Death of a Cozy Writer?

I think there are two more in the Wicked Autumn series. I recently was able to get a card for another system here and they have Wicked Autumn so I will be able to get it. :) Thanks for prompting me to look again. Death of Cozy Writer was pretty good. The conclusion to the mystery was fabulous and the order of clues were not in the usual formula so pretty good. My biggest complaint was I wanted to learn a bit more about the lead detective. It was hinted that his background was interesting but never developed to my satisfaction. I have the next in the series waiting for me to start so should hopefully learn more. The Wicked Autumn Detective character received a great review in something I read a few months ago as being really good character development, the reviewer loved him and a former M15 agent turned village vicar does sound very fascinating. Was he?

Just finished The Professionals by Owen Laukkanen. Pretty good, fast-paced story about 4 college grads who decide to turn to kidnapping since the job market sucks. lol Gets complicated when they kidnap the wrong guy.

Next on my nightstand:

The Newlyweds by Nell Freudenberger (reading now)

Surprised by Oxford by Carolyn Weber (I think I saw this one recommended here? A woman's coming to faith story at Oxford where she studies Romantic literature.)

The Signature of All Things by Elizabeth Gilbert (A brilliant young woman botanist falls in love with a man who is very spiritual, the opposite of where her studies into evolution take her.)

The Second Ship by Richard Phillips (Rho Agenda book 1. YA (I think) sci-fi)

Brilliance by Marcus Sakey (Something about genius/savant children and what happens when they grow up, how their genius sides work with and/or against their "average" aspects or something like that. Fiction.)

Several of us have loved Surprised by Oxford. I know at least eaglei, Ariasmommy, and myself :)

Death of Cozy Writer was pretty good. The conclusion to the mystery was fabulous and the order of clues were not in the usual formula so pretty good. My biggest complaint was I wanted to learn a bit more about the lead detective. It was hinted that his background was interesting but never developed to my satisfaction. I have the next in the series waiting for me to start so should hopefully learn more. 

I listened  to the audio book version a while back and would agree with all you said here. It reminded me of Louise Penny's Chief Inspector Gamache books in that there's a back story but it comes out in increments as you progress through the series. At least I would hope so. Otherwise why hint at background stuff, right? I haven't gone searching for the next one, but I probably will eventually.

I finishd Game of Thrones and also read The Firebird by Susanna Kearsley. I enjoyed Game of Thrones, but I don't know if I enjoyed it enough to complete the entire series. I just started The Stockholm Octavo, Stacia, and I think it sounds great.

Happy birthday, Robin! Hope you had a great day!

I listened  to the audio book version a while back and would agree with all you said here. It reminded me of Louise Penny's Chief Inspector Gamache books in that there's a back story but it comes out in increments as you progress through the series. At least I would hope so. Otherwise why hint at background stuff, right? I haven't gone searching for the next one, but I probably will eventually.

I just picked the first Inspector Gamache book up this morning from the library. Everyone here has made me curious. ;)