Menu

What are your highs and lows for today? (not temperatures)

jelbe5

I'll start.

Low - 16 yos with autism had a tantrum this morning over a seemingly insignificant situation. I was paying bills and did not want to drop everything to pull out the play-doh. Sheesh! Bad mommy!

High - the new ultra-soft flannel sheets I just put on the bed. Pretty easy way to do some pampering of the self.

How about you? What have been your highs and lows for today?

My low for today was waking up and wanting to take a shower (since that is usually what I do first) only to find out we had no water.

My high for today so far is coming to the library and finding two computers available so both my daughter and myself can get online at the same time.  It is very unusual for this to happen.  Another high for today is that my daughter has the day off.

Low - My 3.5 year old colored with black marker on my foyer walls.  I screamed in shock because I had had it "up to here" with him already.  (didn't scream at him, just screamed.  I then calmly took him to his room while I collected myself.)  :cursing: 

High - My mom just texted me and reminded me that today is 11/12/13.  I love dates like that!!  :hurray:

High: I had to cut out dairy for a while to help nursing DS get rid of his eczema. I had cheese for the first time today in three months! It was glorious!

Low: While cleaning up the kitchen, a mouse poked its head up out of my rear stove burner to say hello. First time I've ever seen one in my house. No traps here, so I put a toy motorcycle on the stove. Maybe that will catch it. ;-)

Lows: See child giveaway thread.

Highs: I have two dance classes tonight, and my dancers seem to enjoy and appreciate my teaching style a LOT more than my son does.

I will not drink. I will not drink. I will not drink.

LOL - I saw the child giveaway thread! No one would want my son when he is in a bad mood and believe me, I would have paid to have someone take him earlier today! :-)

High- getting cleaning accomplished

Low- dd having an accident at school that included her shoes. Will have a talk with school about letting dd go inside to go potty if she needs to. While I understand why they have the rule about no one going inside while at recess, they should make exceptions for kids who have to go to the bathroom. I know they have a limited number of recess volunteers but couldn't a teacher supervise children who have to go???

High--Watched Downton Abbey this am

Low--incident with dd

The temp seriously dropped this afternoon, and she had gone to school in only a sweatshirt (no coat). I had just gotten home from work and thought I'd be sweet and meet her at the bus (about a 4 minute walk) with her coat so she could be warm. I get there, after a short but FREEZING walk, she gets off the bus, and totally disrespect me. Didn't want the coat, didn't want to be met at the bus, was rude...I was all set to offer her hot chocolate at home and everything. 

Low: My mother is making the holidays full of drama by being manipulative and mean. It's nothing new, so I don't know why I let it bother me every year. I'm sad I can't make her happy no matter what I do and sad and frustrated she can't acknowledge how her behavior hurts others.

High: I have a wonderful sister who I can talk to and understands. :)

I was thinking about you and your son today. I hope the evening transition goes smoothly for you all this evening.

:)

Dishes are all done! Ds's hardest fight was teeth brushing. He was in the mood to be tackled. So I sat on him in the bathroom while tickling to keep his mouth open. He's getting too big for this! Lol.

He let me wash his hair and he washed his own body without a fight. He went to bed listen to his favorite news guy.

I'm off to read with dd and then finish putting away the laundry (that ds helped sort!).

Highs:

• DS10 (my Aspie) had a get-together with a friend today and he enjoyed himself and did great!  This was a 2-hour get-together at a local arcade. This is HUGE progress for him, as he usually starts falling apart after one hour of social interaction (and in that one hour, there are usually several "social missteps").  I'm very proud of him.   :)
  • One of my best friends had a baby last night (her second child - a little boy) and DD and I are going to visit them at the hospital this evening.
  • My mom came over today and swept and mopped the wood floor on the entire main level of the house.  I love my mom, and I love how beautiful my floor looks right now.  :001_wub:

Lows: 

• DS didn't get anything academic done today.  

Low - I am so tired of the hamster wheel I feel like I'm on. At work, one tenant, who has had some serious delinquency of rent recently, has still not paid up. I could throw 'em.  :sneaky2:

High - I'm having a Mikes Hard Black Raspberry Lemonade.  :cheers2:

Low - I am so tired of the hamster wheel I feel like I'm on. At work, one tenant, who has had some serious delinquency of rent recently, has still not paid up. I could throw 'em.  :sneaky2:

High - I'm having a Mikes Hard Black Raspberry Lemonade.  :cheers2:

Sorry it's been a rough day, Quill.  Your Mike's sounds fantastic. I've never had the Black Raspberry.

I'm enjoying a glass of Merlot right now.  Cheers!   :cheers2:

Highs:

It snowed just a smidge this morning--what a surprise!

We had a relaxed yet learning-filled day.

I read a very good book this afternoon.

Low:

I won't get to exercise today. Dh and dd are out "Christmas looking" now, and I don't like to work out in the basement when I'm the only one home. When it's dark outside. And when that very good book was slightly creepy (serial criminal vs profiler)...

Only highs today! Got a contract on our house today (we're selling), lost my mucus plug and started having contractions, AND found out that we are going to be stationed in the German town we were hoping for. My kids have been fantastic and today's weather was absolutely beautiful. Hugely blessed!!!

Lows-

I let the kids watch 5 straight hours of tv this afternoon because the 2 1/2 hours we were out this morning left me completely drained.

Practically picking a fight with DH then bawling to him about my level of frustration with everything falling apart while we continue pursuing my medical treatment.

Highs-

I pulled it together enough to clean the dishes and finish supper. (Thank goodness I started the bulk of it in the crockpot this morning.)

Having DH wrap his arms around me and reassure me that everything is going to be alright, that the chaos right now is just for a season and that he loves me no matter what. (Then he bribed the kids with hand held electronics and sent them to bed early!)

High--I was substitute teaching today and it was an easy day. No problem kids and everyone was gone from the (small) last hour class so I got to go home an hour early.

Low--Smelled natural gas around the house and the gas company tech said it was leaking at about 50% as it came in the house. Very thankful there were no accidents when starting cars, etc.

High: Won Brad Paisley tickets and a meet and greet with him for Friday night.  Second high point was calling my friend to give her the tickets I already bought. 

Low: Oldest dd lives 900 miles away and all three of her kids are sick with a stomach bug and both she and her dh started feeling bad this afternoon.  Wish I lived close enough to help her- she sounds so pitiful. 

High:  I got a lot done today:

• 2 weeks of laundry
  • 2 weeks of grocery shopping
  • All the usual daily stuff - getting the kids out in the a.m., providing the day's food, taking care of mail/bills, cleaning up the daily messes, taking kids to extracurriculars, afterschooling, etc.
  • Took care of myself a little - health, exercise, and grooming - better than usual
  • Read a little
  • Took my kid to order her first pair of glasses
  • Cleared a big to-do at work and did a bunch of other work
  • Probably some other stuff I'm not remembering

Low:  Nobody will appreciate any of the above; on the contrary, I will be criticized for doing most of it instead of spending the entire day on "work."  My to-do list is still so long that I will wake up tomorrow morning thinking about how detestable I am - like I do every morning.  :/

High:  But I have a chiro appointment for myself tomorrow afternoon, after a gap of about 3 months.  If it's anything like before, this should increase my energy and focus and help me catch up on stuff.  :)

Low:  Of course this dang cold isn't helping matters.  :/

Low:  Nobody will appreciate any of the above; on the contrary, I will be criticized for doing most of it instead of spending the entire day on "work." 

Well, here is one person who is impressed with all that you got accomplished.  Kudos to you.

Regards,

Kareni

High: Read alouds (ancients) and religious study readings are all coming together and making sense for the kids. With so many books, history is finally starting to "repeat itself" (ha) and sink in. We read and discussed at least seven chapters from three different books.

Low: Didn't do spelling. If that's the lowest I can think of we had a pretty good day.

ok, well this is TMI but I guess I will be honest.....

High: When asking my teen dd if she and her boyfriend need condoms, I was told no. :-) (In a 'not having sex' tone, not a 'already have it covered' tone)....and then being honestly thanked for asking. My teens are always told that I will provide any and all BCP they need or want if they just let me know a purchase needs to be made.  We have several 15/16 year old mothers in my extended family and I would like to not add to that if possible. 

Low: Stressing over how to ask my teen dd if she needed condoms....and how to deal with it if she said 'yes'.

ok, well this is TMI but I guess I will be honest.....

High: When asking my teen dd if she and her boyfriend need condoms, I was told no. :-) (In a 'not having sex' tone, not a 'already have it covered' tone)....and then being honestly thanked for asking. My teens are always told that I will provide any and all BCP they need or want if they just let me know a purchase needs to be made.  We have several 15/16 year old mothers in my extended family and I would like to not add to that if possible. 

Low: Stressing over how to ask my teen dd if she needed condoms....and how to deal with it if she said 'yes'.

Our oldest met a boy at age 16 and dated him until they married- and were very open that they were NOT going to have sex until they were married. I was so delusional - I thought the rest of our kids would be that easy...

So I've been in your shoes and totally get it.  Dh and I actually did a high five when we realized all our kids were legal adults and not one had been pregnant as teens.  Of course, looking back I was pretty delusional then, too. Having young adult children can be just as harrowing as raising wild toddlers or moody teenagers. 

Kudos to you- talking to your kids about sex isn't always easy, but you sucked it up and did it.