Menu

Earrings for sensitive ears

Night Elf

I'm not sure if my dd has sensitive ears or not but I don't want to take a chance. I found what I'm looking for on Etsy but the earring is silver colored surgical stainless steel. What might be the problem with this type of metal or whatever it's called? The shop owner has some other designs in sterling silver. She does custom orders so she might work with me to make exactly what I need. Would sterling silver be better?

I may be mistaken, but surgical stainless steel is supposed to be ok.

It's the nickel that causes problems for people,

The purer the metal, the better, so maybe sterling would be better.

We went with gold for the posts, but I'm hoping surgical ss will be ok when the posts come out (dd just got hers done 2 weeks ago). 

I have two children that get red, puffy ears from earring posts.  Their ears also turn black and goopy if the earring stays in too long.

One thing is to not wear the earring for more than a day-- to give the ear some rest.--

Another thing is to dip the post in a type of barrier (like neosporin)  before putting in ear.

The best thing I have found is a high quality GOLD post -- the higher the gold content the better.

Dd doesn't like yellow gold. And the Etsy shop I found doesn't offer white gold. The earrings aren't expensive so i might just give the stainless steel a try. I'm getting conflicting information from searching online, but I haven't found any that says it's bad. She only wears them when she goes out. At home, she just leaves in regular studs, but I can't remember what metal they are. I paid about $50 for them when she got her ears double pierced. Her original holes turned black after wearing black studs continulously. We weren't sure if the black was from the type of metal (cheap earring), or the color of the earring.

surgical stainless steel is usually safe for allergies. 

cheap metals contain nickel - which is most likely to cause a reaction.   even gold or silver are not "pure", but an alloy.  unless you know what they are combined with, even they can be questionable.  (my mother reacted to gold.)

There is an earring company called Simply Whispers that sells earrings and jewelry for those with allergies. My mom has a severe nickel allergy and she loves these earrings! I have a mild allergy and my girls are moderately allergic. QVC shows a lot of allergy-friendly jewelry as well.

I have very sensitive ears. The big problem for me is nickel, and surgical steel does usually have nickel in it.  Sterling silver is not usually alloyed with nickel, so I'm usually OK with that.

It used to be that I had to get earrings that were specifically nickel free, but it seems that at this point, most earrings labeled "hypoallergenic" also now are nickel free.   

(Three of my kids also share this nickel problem, but the fourth does not.   I got this from my dad, who always had trouble with watch backs and could not wear his wedding ring, and my brother and sister also have it--it is highly heritable.)

DD has really sensitive ears, I try to stick to gold or sterling silver but sometimes there is a pair of earrings that she thinks are awesome and just has to wear.

We put clear nail polish on anything that will be touching skin and she is good to go. She reapplies the nail polish each time she wears them just in case some of it has chipped off.