Menu

Book a Week in 2013 - week forty six

Robin M

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today I finally finished The Lady of the Rivers by Phillipa Gregory.  It seemed to take forever, but I enjoyed it a lot.  Before reading the next in the series, The White Queen, I'm going to take a break and read the next Dexter book.  I need a change of scenery and something that is a little faster paced.

Completed So Far

1. Best Friends by Samantha Glen
2. Wesley the Owl by Stacey O'Brien
3. The Gift of Pets: Stories Only a Vet Could Tell by Bruce Coston
4. Nim Chimpsky: The Chimp Who Would Be Human by Elizabeth Hess
5. Last Chance to See by Douglas Adams & Mark Carwardine
6. Confessions of a Prairie Bitch by Alison Arngrim
7. Beowulf by Seamus Heaney
8. The Odyssey by Homer (Fagles translation)
9. The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield
10. The Year of Learning Dangerously: Adventures in Homeschooling by Quinn Cummings
11. Neither Here Nor There by Bill Bryson
12. Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery
13. Tales of an African Vet by Dr. Roy Aronson
14. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
15. The Romanovs: The Final Chapter by Robert K. Massie
16. Kisses From Katie by Katie Katie Davis
17. Iguanas for Dummies by Melissa Kaplan
18. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
19. Zoo by James Patterson
20. St. Lucy's School for Girls Raised by Wolves by Karen Russell
21. Russian Tortoises in Captivity by Jerry D. Fife
22. Leopard Geckos for Dummies by Liz Palika
23. The 8th Confession by James Patterson
24. Leopard Geckos: Caring for Your New Pet by Casey Watkins
25. The Ultimate Guide to Leopard Geckos by Phoenix Hayes Simmons
26. 9th Judgement by James Patterson
27. 10th Anniversary by James Patterson
28. 11th Hour by James Patterson
29. 12th of Never by James Patterson

30. The Geography of Bliss: One Grump's Search for the Happiest Places in the World by Eric Weiner
31. Chasing Science at Sea: Racing Hurricanes, Stalking Sharks, and Living Undersea With Ocean Experts by Ellen J. Prager
32. Dolphin Mysteries: Unlocking the Secrets of Communication by Kathleen M. Dudzinski & Toni Frohoff
33. The Greeening by S. Brubaker
34. No Touch Monkey! by Ayun Halliday
35. Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl

36. Beating Dyspraxia with a Hop, Skip, and a Jump by Geoff Platt

37. Long Walk to Freedom by Nelson Mandela

38. Traveling With Pomegranates by Sue Monk Kidd and Ann Kidd Taylor

39. The Stranger by Albert Camus

40. Two Gentlemen of Verona by William Shakespeare

41. Shakespeare: The World a Stage by Bill Bryson

42. Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston

43. Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift

44. How to Read Literature Like a Professor by Thomas C. Foster

45. Brain Power: Improve Your Mind as You Age by Michael J. Gelb and Kelly Howell

46. Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk

47. Animal Farm by George Orwell

48. Carrie by Stephen King

49. Deconstructing Penguins by Lawrence and Nancy Goldstone

50. The Way Life Works by Mahlon Hoagland

51. The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros

52. Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay

53. Dearly Devoted Dexter by Jeff Lindsay

54. A Walk in the Snark by Rachel Thompson

55. Dexter in the Dark by Jeff Lindsay

56. The Two Dead Girls (The Green Mile Book 1) by Stephen King

57. The Mouse on the Mile (The Green Mile Book 2) by Stephen King

58. Coffey's Hands (The Green Mile Book 3) by Stephen King

59. The Bad Death of Eduard Delacroix (The Green Mile Book 4) by Stephen King

60. Night Journey (The Green Mile Book 5) by Stephen King

61. Coffey on the Mile (The Green Mile Book 6) by Stephen King

62. The Lady of the Rivers by Phillipa Gregory

Friday night I finished Shift (Wool trilogy) and just started Dust. There were a couple of months between reading Wool and reading Shift, and because of the way the books are written, I really wish I had read Shift right after Wool. It still worked out fine and I totally enjoyed Shift. 

I was afraid this might be a problem. It's been almost a year since I finished Wool (I read the Omnibus Edition, so I read it all at once). I keep meaning to start Shift, but as more and more time goes by, I wonder if I need to at least read a synopsis of the Wool series. Dh started reading Wool over the weekend. 

Secondly, today I read Off-Topic: The Story of an Internet Revolt (link to the free .pdf) by G.R. Reader. Here's what I wrote about it on Goodreads...

The novel is an everyman account for the internet/social network era. This book is not perfect. Some of the book is a bit unclear about which posts have been deleted & so on. The book has some internet-speak/acronyms in it (which may annoy lovers of 'traditional' lit). Yet, this hastily assembled book pulls together the information about an affront to your basic rights. Goodreads readers, I'm talking to you. It's not a perfect book; I urge you to read it anyway. Read it & draw your own conclusions. Because, ultimately, this book is about you. It is for you.

Not sure what I will start reading at this point. (Hard to believe my last three books have all been non-fiction. :svengo: )

I tried reading it - I think you linked to the pdf last week or the week before. I know it's an important topic, and I do intend to read it at some point, but I think I'm going to have to force myself to do so. Maybe because it was hastily assembled, or maybe because it's pulling together a bunch of posts and reviews, but it was difficult for me to get into. To me it reads like a police report or deposition. I think if people are going to get worked up about this issue, and they (we) do need to get worked up about it, that those in the know need to find a way to write a well-written book about it. As I said, I will read it because I think it's important. More people should read about this issue, and for that to happen, the book needs to pull people in who might not normally read it. This one just doesn't IMO.

Non-fiction: I'm amazed at how much non-fiction I've enjoyed in the past year and a half, since I've always preferred fiction. I still do, but lately am finding more and more non-fiction that interests me

For me, it's a combination of things. First -  the writing style. Some of the classical books or older books are harder because of the language of the period or because the writer choose to do stream of consciousnesses. Either way, it makes you slow down and have to think more, so the style also depends on mood at the time. If in the mood for brain candy, then it's going to be really challenging.  Also brain candy can be challenging if the writing is so elementary or the character is just so stupid, that you are left shaking your head or wanting to throw the book across the room.  Which leads to is it 1st or 3 pov and how does the character communicate.  I used to hate 1st person point of view, because very few authors do it well.  I've since discovered some that do an admirable job.

Secondly - content is also a consideration.  The writing may be great but if you can't stomach the subject matter or it's a real tear jerker and goes beyond entertaining.  Then it becomes a challenge to disengage from your emotions and not experience the story.  Depends entirely on how visual or emotional a person you are or if you yourself have been through the same experiences.  I tend to stay away from emotional books with emotional dying scenes, since I've been there and done that with relatives and it just hits you in the gut.  I remember wanting to read one story quite badly because I had invested in the series and the majority of the story was gut wrenching and the dying scene left me sobbing.    I like to escape and be entertained or educated when I read.   Not left a blubbering pile on the floor. 

I'll add a third - when the author has an agenda and even though the story is good, the agenda part shines through and you don't know if you want to continue contributing to this person's pocket book.  It's challenging sometimes to separate the author, the writer, from the story.  Personally helps if I know nothing about the author, otherwise it ruins the experience for me.

These are many of the things that make a book challenging for me. However, as I'll point out later, challenging isn't always bad. The above are examples of bad-challenging. 

This is an interesting comment, especially in light of the Goodreads issues. One of the topics that has been a problem is that the company now wants people not to talk about the authors (unless its in a good light &/or directly relates to the book). So, say there is a convicted pedophile who wrote a children's book... some find this relevant info to post/share on GR because that reader refuses to spend his/her money supporting that person.

Many times I do not know about the author. But, sometimes, I do find it relevant, esp. if my purchase of a book (admittedly rare for me) will be supporting someone with whom I do not agree nor support on critical issues.

I found this to be the case with Anne Perry. I read a few of her books before I found out who she was, and once I did, I had a hard time reading any more of her books. I also realized how dark they were - something I didn't recognize until after I learned about the author. She seems to express no remorse either, which really sealed the deal for me. There should be no reason why I can't include this in my Goodreads reviews or on my own GR shelves.

I did not love the second book in the Discovery of Witches series. The first was great but the second a bit blah.imo Looking forward to your review!

Although I didn't love the first one, I enjoyed it. Definitely better than sparkly vampires. :) Still, I have no desire to read further in the series.

Good-challenging: A book can be challenging in both good and bad ways. The bad ways have been covered, and I pretty much agree with Robin on that. However, there are good books that are challenging. These to me can be difficult to read for various reasons, but always have a payoff that make the challenge worth it. If the book is old, it might be the language. It could be long explanations or descriptions that you think are leading nowhere, but then you're suddenly hit with their meaning. A character can be unlikable, but so complex and interesting that you can't help but be concerned about his or her fate. Anna Karenina, Middlemarch and Great Expectations, and Sula come to mind as examples of good-challenging.

I finished The Kitchen God's Wife and really enjoyed it. I will likely read more by Amy Tan. I also finished the audio book of Night Film, and am still mulling over my opinion of it. There's some question as to whether one can get everything out of it in audio form, because of the way some of it is written, but this library loan came with a pdf that contains all the images. I looked through it, and can't say I would have thought it any different if I read it instead of listened to it. I liked the story, but it has one of those endings that make you think, "That's it? That's the end?"

Currently reading:

I just started The Beautiful Mystery by Louise Penny. It's a Chief Inspector Gamache mystery. I've only read the first one, and had planned to read them in order, but the Kindle version of this one was on sale for $1.99 not long ago, so I grabbed it. 

I'm reading 2 non-fiction books as well - The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark by Carl Sagan, and Beyond Belief: My Secret Life Inside Scientology and My Harrowing Escape, by Jenna Miscavige. She's the niece of the current Scientology leader. I'm finding both to be interesting, but slow going.

Current Audio Book: Nicholas Nickleby. This is my book club's next book. We aren't meeting in December, and our next meeting is early January, so we have almost 2 months with this one.

Speaking of my IRL book club - It was a rainy, windy night when we met to discuss The Flamethrowers, and only 5 of us made it to the meeting. One person had to take her 7 yo to ER (the girl is fine) and the others didn't want to venture out in the weather. Floridians are weird. We don't like to go out when it's raining. Anyway, only 2 of us loved it, and I was one of them. The others didn't like the characters or the story, though they didn't feel the time reading it was wasted. :(

I tried reading it - I think you linked to the pdf last week or the week before. I know it's an important topic, and I do intend to read it at some point, but I think I'm going to have to force myself to do so. Maybe because it was hastily assembled, or maybe because it's pulling together a bunch of posts and reviews, but it was difficult for me to get into. To me it reads like a police report or deposition. I think if people are going to get worked up about this issue, and they (we) do need to get worked up about it, that those in the know need to find a way to write a well-written book about it. As I said, I will read it because I think it's important. More people should read about this issue, and for that to happen, the book needs to pull people in who might not normally read it. This one just doesn't IMO.

I found this to be the case with Anne Perry. I read a few of her books before I found out who she was, and once I did, I had a hard time reading any more of her books. I also realized how dark they were - something I didn't recognize until after I learned about the author. She seems to express no remorse either, which really sealed the deal for me. There should be no reason why I can't include this in my Goodreads reviews or on my own GR shelves.

I agree with you to a large extent, Kathy. I was somewhat familiar w/ the GR issues from various things I had read previously. So, I was a semi-informed reader & I think that helped me understand most of it; even so, it was still choppy & unclear in some spots. Since the issue is fairly recent, the outcry immediate, & life of things on the internet is about a nanosecond, I think these things contributed to the transitory feeling of the book (rather than it being a longer, more well-researched tome). Plus, the person/people writing this book are not writers by profession (at least most of them) -- just GR users who are up-in-arms. I think a bigger, better book could come out about it, not necessarily just focusing on the GR issues, but including the GR issues along w/ other cases of internet censorship, whether by governments or companies or even individuals.

As a staunch supporter of free speech, I think the GR issue is a big one, and therefore support the book (however ungainly it may be) because I think it was created to respond to an immediate/ongoing challenge. I do agree that as a book, it leaves a lot to be desired. So, here (& in my personal lists), I gave it a split rating. Really, if you had a good writer working on it, I think it would be an ideal (long) newspaper article or magazine topic (when, then, in turn might spur a well-researched good book on internet censorship/modern computing/internet in general).

I totally agree with you about it being your prerogative to shelve/file Anne Perry as you please & to be able to say so on your GR page. This is one of the issues going on over at GR right now. As it stands now, the powers that be over there could well delete your reviews of her books & or your entire shelf or shelves because of your stance. Even your membership there could potentially come 'under review'. Actual implementation seems to be iffy, however, and somewhat aimed more at certain individuals than others. To me, these issues are big ones for GR readers because GR was originally created for *readers* (not authors nor booksellers) to discuss books. As we all well know from here, book discussions can range across many topics far & wide, some staying completely on-topic of the book, others not so much.... It's also sort-of interesting in that the audience of GR is also, to a large extent, creating almost all of the content on the site.

I do watch these choices (of Amazon/GR) with interest (is this a corporation's website, is it a social media site largely made by the audience itself, or is it something else altogether), lend myself as a supporter to the 'cause' of the current outcry against their policies, & hope that free speech will win. Ultimately, though, the website belongs to Amazon; I am curious to see how they treat their 'product' (all the free reviews that GR users write/share) & their customers (people who read the reviews & then, potentially, buy or avoid a book based on the reviews). Along with you, I hope these issues can/will be better articulated (though better articles & books) & will become more of a topic that people in general will discuss, debate, & shape.

On a completely separate topic, Kathy, did your book club like The Flamethrowers???

ETA: Oops. Just saw that you were also posting & answered my question about The Flamethrowers. Glad the little girl is ok. Sorry to hear that the book wasn't liked that well overall. I thought it was quite amazing (but I can kind-of see that it might not be a popular pick for many). I'm really glad you enjoyed it!

I finished Heartsick by Chelsea Cain http://www.powells.com/biblio/9780312368463. It was a different kind of serial killer thriller suspense novel. Rather choppy with the flashbacks which bothered me greatly at the start. It took almost two weeks to finish a book that I thought would be a quick read. I think someone here read it first so I persisted thanks to the BaW recommend and interesting reviews. I read the last 300 pages in an afternoon and really engaged with the characters at the end. It is a different book with unusual characters but I did like it enough to order the next one.

Floridamom -- Nightfilm was a different reading experience. I think the pictures being interspersed throughout the book really added to it. The newspaper type articles etc gave it a certain feel of active involvement. I doubt that you missed much in the end because it was abruptly over but the pictures made it more interesting to read. Plus there were several pages of pictures before the book ever started which did intrigue me. I was a bit more invested then normal before I started reading.

ETA: I just googled Anne Perry and totally agree. Absolutely no idea before.

Floridamom -- Nightfilm was a different reading experience. I think the pictures being interspersed throughout the book really added to it. The newspaper type articles etc gave it a certain feel of active involvement. I doubt that you missed much in the end because it was abruptly over but the pictures made it more interesting to read. Plus there were several pages of pictures before the book ever started which did intrigue me. I was a bit more invested then normal before I started reading.

The way the narrator read, it was obvious they were articles. And I had no trouble picturing texts or website comments when he read them. Maybe it was different seeing them, but listening to it I still knew what they were. I agree about the abrupt ending. That's also what some people in my book club didn't like about The Flamethrowers. 

:iagree: This happened to me also. I can't say that I ever really liked the few books of hers that I read, but reading about her lack of remorse (a major biggie for me) was also a deal-breaker. 

I finished "Frankenstein". It was interesting especially in light of reading the "Golem and the Jinni" so recenty. The Golem must have been modeled on this book. To be honest I much prefer the Golem monster, probably my romance reading preference. Dd, who hasn't read Golem, finds Frankenstein to be a very sympathetic monster for lack of a better description. I don't so much. Now Frankenstein had more suspense and was probably the better book but I liked the creature Golem and was repulsed by the monster Frankenstein.

I read Insurgent by Veronica Roth. I liked the first book in the series quiet a lot, but this second book left me...meh. I don't think I'm going to read the third book.

I read a Dutch book about a Dutch girl who had been forced to marry an American man who was part of a cult. It was an interesting read, but it was also a typical ghostwritten, aiming for maximum emotions book, which always leaves me drained.

I finished the stories and poetry of Poe, we were assigned in the Coursera course. I liked the poetry, but have no inclination to read the other stories of Poe that are in my Portable Poe collection. Oh, and I misplaced my index card with notes....so I'm returning to my notebook :D.

I'm almost finished with the Island of Moreau by Wells. Also meh.

Perhaps it's me. I'm feeling a bit meh. Or I  just need better books :laugh: .

-------

15. selected stories and poems - Poe

14. Vlucht uit het land van de vrijheid - Anna Meijerink

13. Insurgent - Veronica Roth

12. Frankenstein - Mary Shelley
11. The Smartest Kids in the World - Amanda Ripley
10. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks - Rebecca Skloot
9. Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass - Lewis Carroll
8. Dracula - Bram Stoker
7. Balzac and the little Chinese Seamstress - Daj Sijie
6. The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath
5. Shards of a Broken Crown (Serpentwar Saga book 4) - Raymond E. Feist
4. Divergent - Veronica Roth
3. The Pleasure of Reading in the Age of Distraction - Alan Jacobs  (reread)
2. Dream of Joy - Lisa See
1. The Shallows - Nicholas Carr

Tress --

I hope you find a book you really enjoy soon. Dd gave me the Poe story she used for her essay ("The Black Cat") to read before she submitted. I found it pretty depressing. Decided I am done with Poe because I need comforting books right now. Not sure if he is comforting but I am going to move on directly to Wells.

I finished the stories and poetry of Poe, we were assigned in the Coursera course. I liked the poetry, but have no inclination to read the other stories of Poe that are in my Portable Poe collection. Oh, and I misplaced my index card with notes....so I'm returning to my notebook :D.

I'm almost finished with the Island of Moreau by Wells. Also meh.

Perhaps it's me. I'm feeling a bit meh. Or I  just need better books :laugh: .

I took that Coursera course earlier this year, and reading Poe, Hawthorne and Wells all in a row made me feel a bit meh, too.

Tress --

I hope you find a book you really enjoy soon. Dd gave me the Poe story she used for her essay ("The Black Cat") to read before she submitted. I found it pretty depressing. Decided I am done with Poe because I need comforting books right now. Not sure if he is comforting but I am going to move on directly to Wells.

*All* the Poe stories were depressing. And I'm sorry to say...Wells is depressing too. At least the first book I'm reading.

I hope we are going to move on to something better soon.

ETA: how is your dd doing with the peer reviews? I'm seeing lots of complaints on the forum. I hope she received good feedback.

*All* the Poe stories were depressing. And I'm sorry to say...Wells is depressing too. At least the first book I'm reading.

I hope we are going to move on to something better soon.

ETA: how is your dd doing with the peer reviews? I'm seeing lots of complaints on the forum. I hope she received good feedback.

Dd has been getting 4's averaged. Just so others know you get a grade of 1 to 3(highest) on content and form, so 6 is the highest possible on an essay. They are somehow restricted to only giving 3's up to 20% of the time. The most frequent grade is a 2 with 1's being given at least 10% of the time. At least 3 graders per essay, dd has had 5 usually.

Nice comments overall. Some tell her she could develop ideas more then admit she can't due to the word number limits. We know she has gotten at least one 3 -- the reviewer told her and gave really helpful tips. We are assuming that person was more knowledgeable then many on there. ;) She is pleased so far. She has worked hard to improve her writing skills in the past few months, we have always been very math and science based so this is a good experience for her. Plus she is pleased because they have no idea she is 15.

Dd has been getting 4's averaged. Just so others know you get a grade of 1 to 3(highest) on content and form, so 6 is the highest possible on an essay. They are somehow restricted to only giving 3's up to 20% of the time. The most frequent grade is a 2 with 1's being given at least 10% of the time. At least 3 graders per essay, dd has had 5 usually.

Nice comments overall. Some tell her she could develop ideas more then admit she can't due to the word number limits. We know she has gotten at least one 3 -- the reviewer told her and gave really helpful tips. We are assuming that person was more knowledgeable then many on there. ;) She is pleased so far. She has worked hard to improve her writing skills in the past few months, we have always been very math and science based so this is a good experience for her. Plus she is pleased because they have no idea she is 15.

That's good to hear!! I read so many people complaining about getting only 1's with very unhelpful comments. Good to know that there are still enough participants who grade fairly and give good comments.

I haven't submitted an essay yet. I'm too chicken :tongue_smilie: .

Tress, dd was sitting by me for the last response and peeking. The one thread that I read about the ones was brutal. I was really scared for her self confidence. Because of that thread I warn her each time that this is an unusual grading situation at the same time decent prep for SAT's etc. Her essays have all been good when you take the word limit into account but the average person reading them is going to say develop further guaranteed! I give her credit for choosing her own topics. Much harder then write about ..... At this point she is happy and I think she needs 1 more 4 to get the certificate which she wants. She was born in Michigan so U of M ........

If you love museums, artwork, monuments, old European cathedrals..., I really have to put in a plug for the book I'm currently reading, The Monuments Men by Robert M. Edsel. I'm not quite to the halfway mark & am finding it utterly fascinating. (Also, someone here was reading lots of WWII books -- Ali in OR, I think??? -- & this would be a great addition to the reading.)

In the back cover, where it talks about the author, it says...

Robert M. Edsel's fascination with the Monuments Men began while he was living in Florence, Italy, in the late 1990s. Standing on the Ponte Vecchio, he wondered how so many of Europe's great monuments and works of art could have survived the destruction of World War II.

A great question & one with some riveting & inspiring stories behind the answer.

Reading this (along with Geraldine Brooks' People of the Book, which talks about saving the Sarajevo Haggadah, one of the oldest surviving Jewish illuminated texts) puts me in awe of those who, even in times of war & strife, still work to hide/save/protect cultural & artistic artifacts.

If you've ever stood in front of an amazing piece of art & felt wowed to your core, read this book. (Can you tell I'm loving it? This is some great non-fiction.) And then be thankful for people like these: http://www.monumentsmen.com/the-monuments-men/monuments-men-roster

FYI, there are also lesson plans on the linked website.

:thumbup1:

If you love museums, artwork, monuments, old European cathedrals..., I really have to put in a plug for the book I'm currently reading, The Monuments Men by Robert M. Edsel. I'm not quite to the halfway mark & am finding it utterly fascinating. (Also, someone here was reading lots of WWII books -- Ali in OR, I think??? -- & this would be a great addition to the reading.)

I put this on hold after you first mentioned it! Our library has one copy and I think I'm #3 on the list, so I'll probably get it in early 2014.

Finished James Rollins SandStorm, the first book in the Sigma Force novels.  Have been skipping around in the thriller series for some odd reason, reading them entirely out of order.   Good no matter what order you read them in. 

fireplace-reading-book.jpg

Thank you Stacia -  Couldn't think of a better place to veg out.   Reading Jennifer Estep's latest in the Gin Blanco Elemental Assassin series - Heart of Venom.

Thanks for the heads up Robin, Sandstorm was a nice change of pace.  

I just finished A Guide for the Perplexed by Dara Horn last night and really liked it.  Great pacing between the interwoven storylines.  Horn did a smashing job of bringing so many themes and occurrences together.  (Editing to add:  *Stacia*, this reminded me of People of the Book!  If you like that I think you would enjoy A Guide for the Perplexed.  Geraldine Brooks says this about it:  "Intricate and suspenseful, A Guide for the Perplexed is both learned and heartfelt, an exploration of human memory, its uses and misuses, that spans centuries in a twisty braid full of jaw-dropping revelations and breathtaking reversals.  An elegant and brainy page-turner from a master storyteller."

Next:  The Professionals by Owen Laukkanen

BaWers, please keep Robin & her family in your prayers & thoughts... http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/494198-prayers-please-for-my-mom/

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

Thank you for posting here. I didn't see that thread.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug: Robin  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

My library has it. I will probably read it, but I'm especially interested in telling dh about it. He's a WWII buff and reads all he can get his hands on about that particular war. I suspect he'll like this book.

I just started The Beautiful Mystery by Louise Penny. It's a Chief Inspector Gamache mystery. I've only read the first one, and had planned to read them in order, but the Kindle version of this one was on sale for $1.99 not long ago, so I grabbed it.

Oh, you've got to read the Gamache books in order, IMO!  There are developing story lines throughout the series!  I love these books.

This morning I finished Sandra Brown's newest book Deadline which I enjoyed.  It had some interesting revelations that came late in the story.

"Dawson Scott is a well-respected journalist recently returned from Afghanistan. Haunted by everything he experienced, he's privately suffering from battle fatigue which is a threat to every aspect of his life. But then he gets a call from a source within the FBI. A new development has come to light in a story that began 40 years ago. It could be the BIG story of Dawson's career one in which he has a vested interest.

Soon, Dawson is covering the disappearance and presumed murder of former Marine Jeremy Wesson, the biological son of the pair of terrorists who remain on the FBI's Most Wanted list. As Dawson delves into the story, he finds himself developing feelings for Wesson's ex-wife, Amelia, and her two young sons. But when Amelia's nanny turns up dead, the case takes a stunning new turn, with Dawson himself becoming a suspect. Haunted by his own demons, Dawson takes up the chase for the notorious outlaws. . .and the secret, startling truth about himself."

Regards,

Kareni

Oh, you've got to read the Gamache books in order, IMO!  There are developing story lines throughout the series!  I love these books.

I'm realizing that as I get further into the book. They could be stand-alone books if you don't intend to read the series. Since I do want to read them all though, I think I'll put this one aside and go in order.

In addition to The Monuments Men, I'm now starting two other books (because I have assigned them to ds for some of his school reading; I'm also reading along so we can discuss): Around the World in 80 Days (link to free kindle version) by Jules Verne and Around the World in 72 Days (link to $0.99 kindle version) by Nellie Bly (an account of her actual trip, inspired by Verne's book). FYI, it looks like Project Gutenberg has a free audio version of Bly's book (???).

Verne's story is set in 1872 (& was published in 1873); Bly's trip & account took place in 1889-90.

Description of Bly's book:

"At the age of nineteen, Nellie Bly talked her way into an improbable job on a newspaper, then went on to become known as "the best reporter in America." The daring Bly continually risked her life to grab headlines. To expose abuse of the mentally ill, she had herself committed. When she traveled around the world in just 72 days, beating Jules Verne's fictional escapade, she turned herself into a world celebrity. "

In this book, the daredevil reporter, Nellie Bly, recounts her real-life voyage where she set the world record for the fastest trip across the globe, beating even the fictional Phileas Fogg.

A "must read" for all those who are intrigued by events that influenced American history. Bly's escapade and her resulting book was the subject of a recent PBS documentary.

I'm currently reading and enjoying Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell.  I'd previously read and enjoyed the author's book  Attachments: A Novel.

"In Rainbow Rowell's Fangirl, Cath is a Simon Snow fan. Okay, the whole world is a Simon Snow fan, but for Cath, being a fan is her life--and she's really good at it. She and her twin sister, Wren, ensconced themselves in the Simon Snow series when they were just kids; it's what got them through their mother leaving.

Reading. Rereading. Hanging out in Simon Snow forums, writing Simon Snow fan fiction, dressing up like the characters for every movie premiere.

Cath's sister has mostly grown away from fandom, but Cath can't let go. She doesn't want to.
Now that they're going to college, Wren has told Cath she doesn't want to be roommates. Cath is on her own, completely outside of her comfort zone. She's got a surly roommate with a charming, always-around boyfriend, a fiction-writing professor who thinks fan fiction is the end of the civilized world, a handsome classmate who only wants to talk about words . . . And she can't stop worrying about her dad, who's loving and fragile and has never really been alone.

For Cath, the question is: Can she do this?

Can she make it without Wren holding her hand? Is she ready to start living her own life? Writing her own stories?

And does she even want to move on if it means leaving Simon Snow behind?"

Regards,

Kareni

I'm currently reading and enjoying Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell.  I'd previously read and enjoyed the author's book  Attachments: A Novel.

Regards,

Kareni

I saw this and put it on my TBR list.  I look forward to hearing how you liked it.  I'll put Attachments on the list, too.

Still in my reading funk.  I'm surrounded by tons of books, a TBR list 50 years long, and I can't find anything I want to read.  Humph.

Perhaps it's time to reread an old favorite.  Tell me some of them as I'm now curious!

Regards,

Kareni

Well, let's see.  There is the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon, The Chesepeake Bay Saga by Nora Roberts, Wanderlust by Danielle Steel (the only one of her's that I really like, actually).  These I have read more than twice.  Some that I might like to reread are The Dragonriders of Pern (Anne McCaffrey), Magic Kingdom For Sale, Sold! (Terry Brooks), The Shop on Blossom Street (Debbie Macomber), Inkheart (Cornelia Funke), and some of the Malory books of Johanna Lindsey.  Perhaps some Dean Koontz or Sidney Sheldon.

I just don't know what I'm in the mood for at the moment.

Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon,

The Chesepeake Bay Saga by Nora Roberts

Sidney Sheldon.

Ah, some familiar author names.  I read the first few Outlander books when they came out but have not read the more recent ones.  (Though I did read a graphic novel that connected with the series.)  Sidney Sheldon I haven't read in years.  It's funny but I recall my parents, sister and I all passing around his books when I was a teen.  (Thanks for that memory!)  I do like all of the Chesepeake Bay books by Nora Roberts.  I must have reread those a time or ten.

I do hope you find something you like. 

Regards,

Kareni

Still in my reading funk.  I'm surrounded by tons of books, a TBR list 50 years long, and I can't find anything I want to read.  Humph.

How about one of Kinky Friedman's mysteries? Don't know why I thought of him; I've read a couple of his books (Greenwich Killing Time; Armadillos and Old Lace) & they're light & funny, esp. if you can appreciate a bit of oddball humor. Sometimes light stuff gets me 'over the hump' when I'm in a reading slump.

I just read my first Gamache, but it wasn't the first in the series.  Those kindle daily deals are a good thing in getting me started on a new detective series, but a bad thing that I now have to search out those earlier volumes!

She's got some great stuff in there!  (Have her take another and try to get rid of the glare so that I can see every title! We have similar tastes.  LOL  ;) )

I'll tell her. Thank you. I would have her take another, but she's leaving on a plane in just a few hours, and I won't be seeing her for almost a month. I've never been away from her for so long. I'll miss her like mad. She's excited, however - going with my parents and seeing autumn and Thanksgiving, etc. :D If you have similar tastes and if you're on Good Reads, it would be nice for you and her to connect. :) She loves Good Reads. 

I just read my first Gamache, but it wasn't the first in the series.  Those kindle daily deals are a good thing in getting me started on a new detective series, but a bad thing that I now have to search out those earlier volumes!

I just put put my request in for Still Life. Since everybody is talking about these and they look good might as well join in!

Negin, I hope your Dd has a great time on her holiday! Fall colors and Thanksgiving are great new experiences--make sure she eats some candy corn! Dh just surprised me with a bag he ordered yesterday, yummy. :grouphug: to you.

Concerning Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell ~

I saw this and put it on my TBR list.  I look forward to hearing how you liked it. 

I enjoyed it very much.  I could easily have had the book go on for another 100 pages as I came to care for the characters and would have liked to know more.

Reviews are not my strength.  Here's a link to one review (with a few spoilers) if you'd care to know more about the book.

Regards,

Kareni

In the back cover, where it talks about the author, it says...

A great question & one with some riveting & inspiring stories behind the answer.

Reading this (along with Geraldine Brooks' People of the Book, which talks about saving the Sarajevo Haggadah, one of the oldest surviving Jewish illuminated texts) puts me in awe of those who, even in times of war & strife, still work to hide/save/protect cultural & artistic artifacts.

If you've ever stood in front of an amazing piece of art & felt wowed to your core, read this book. (Can you tell I'm loving it? This is some great non-fiction.) And then be thankful for people like these: http://www.monumentsmen.com/the-monuments-men/monuments-men-roster

FYI, there are also lesson plans on the linked website.

:thumbup1:

There is a delightful mystery series (only 3 written, though) by Aaron Elkins that features a museum curator who is an expert in Renaissance art.  The first in the series A Deceptive Clarity revolves around recovered Nazi loot, possible forgeries in that loot and of course murder.  I loved all 3 books and lament that he never wrote any others.

I take it you strongly recommend The Monuments Men?!  

There is a delightful mystery series (only 3 written, though) by Aaron Elkins that features a museum curator who is an expert in Renaissance art.  The first in the series A Deceptive Clarity revolves around recovered Nazi loot, possible forgeries in that loot and of course murder.  I loved all 3 books and lament that he never wrote any others.

I take it you strongly recommend The Monuments Men?!  

Oh, thanks! I will definitely check those out.

So far, so good w/ the Monuments Men. :laugh:

Stacia -- I can find a kindle version of Monuments ...but haven't located a hard copy. Should I keep looking or wait on the kindle list?

I finished "The Shrouded Walls" by Susan Howatch. It was a good gothic romance. I enjoyed it greatly.

Also finished my kindle book "Tall,Dark, and Hungry" by Lysay Sands. It was a good humorous vampire romance. It had several funny but unbelievable scenes which had apparently happened to the author irl while dating her husband.