Menu

Tooth pain- best OTC pain options?

lovinmomma

I have pretty serious dental issues. I haven't had dental insurance for years and years and years. Since I was 18? My tooth broke in half, and is causing me quite a bit of pain. I can't afford to see a dentist, but I need to do something about the pain. What works best? Tylenol? Aleve? Orajel? Nothing that is expensive OTC will be feasible.

What is really helpful, is mouthwash.

With a broken tooth and exposed tooth nerve. 

The exposed tooth nerve will respond to different chemicals and bacteria, where pain is the response.

Though swishing mouthwash around the broken tooth, removes the chemicals and bacteria from it.

So that without anything to trigger a response, it eliminates what is causing the pain.

It is a simple and cheap thing to try, where you'll notice different within a few minutes.

Eugenol or clove oil works. It tastes terrible and a little goes a long way. That being said, you need to get to the dentist. You can buy it at walgreens  -- Dentek toothache kit and red cross toothache kit both contain it.  

I have the same problem as you and went years without dental care. After a bad toothache I went to dentist and started care. I have since had extractions (no bridge or replacement -- maybe one day) and cavities filled over time. I still have no insurance and at this point chose not to pay for it because having it really doesn't lower the cost much. 

I have learned that in my area the cost of a general cleaning and yearly x-rays are not that much out of pocket -- much cheaper than the pain/discomfort and cost of fillings and extraction and discomfort of not taking care of my mouth. 

You don't want to end up at the ER with a abscess and swollen jaw/mouth -- I was at the ER with a child recently and that's what happened to someone. They still have to go to dentist to fix problem after cost of ER.

Take care of yourself. 

My dentist would tell me to take 600 mg of Ibuprofin until I could see him and that is about the only over the counter drug that I have found that is effective for me.  Please see a dentist because if you get a really bad infection it is only going to get more and more expensive and painful.  Dental issues can also lead to heart issues.  :grouphug: :grouphug:  Dental issues hurt not only in your mouth but in your pocket book.  I thought I broke a tooth the other day and I wasn't really as upset about breaking the tooth as I was with how much it was probably going to cost!

A really amazing discovery I made when we were visiting hubby's family in the UK:

dd was teething badly, and keeping everyone awake. I ran out of American baby Orajel and ended up at the UK pharmacy to look for something similar. They have a product called Bonjela there, and it was nothing sort of amazing. Hubby and I are chemists and when we got home we were comparing packages to see why Bonjela worked when Orajel barely did anything...

It turn out, US Orajel is Benzocaine whilst UK Bonjela is Lidocaine...and the difference really is amazing. Lidocaine is, of course, what you will most often find in a dentists office as a topical anesthetic.

Amazon sells the adult version (as well as baby) Bonjela. Definitely worth a try, especially combined with Motrin for the anti-inflammatory properties (600-800mg).

And for a teething baby, when nothing more natural seems to help? Really, truly amazing difference.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000KU5334

A really amazing discovery I made when we were visiting hubby's family in the UK:

dd was teething badly, and keeping everyone awake. I ran out of American baby Orajel and ended up at the UK pharmacy to look for something similar. They have a product called Bonjela there, and it was nothing sort of amazing. Hubby and I are chemists and when we got home we were comparing packages to see why Bonjela worked when Orajel barely did anything...

It turn out, US Orajel is Benzocaine whilst UK Bonjela is Lidocaine...and the difference really is amazing. Lidocaine is, of course, what you will most often find in a dentists office as a topical anesthetic.

Amazon sells the adult version (as well as baby) Bonjela. Definitely worth a try, especially combined with Motrin for the anti-inflammatory properties (600-800mg).

And for a teething baby, when nothing more natural seems to help? Really, truly amazing difference.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000KU5334

Thank you for the info! I'm taking chemistry right now, so you have me trying to figure out the difference. ;)

Thank you for the info! I'm taking chemistry right now, so you have me trying to figure out the difference. ;)

Well, from what we have read, in addition to the structural differences, benzocaine and lidocaine are absorbed at different rates. Benzocaine is less water-soluble...which means that it doesn't cross through the tissue in the mouth as readily as lidocaine. There have been several studies done, with at least two determining that lidocaine is more effective as a topical...but the sample size is not what I would call significant.

Regardless, as anecdotal evidence, we (and several friends!) applied both Orajel and Bonjela to opposite sides of the mouth. We were just roughly experimenting, but all agreed that the lidocaine seemed to numb faster and last longer:)

All of that to say...toothache is miserable. I know you will gladly/happily get to a dentist as soon as you find a way. I just wanted to share our discovery as a possible short term solution in the hopes that it brings you a bit of relief!

I read the title as "Tooth Pain: Best TTC Options" and was VERY confused. (TTC= trying to conceive.)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I can't imagine anyone thinking of anything related to "conceiving" when they have a toothache. :D

Lovinmomma, you need to see a dentist. This isn't something that will heal up and go away on its own. Keep calling local dentists until you find one that will offer you a payment plan. You really need to make this a priority.

Additionally, by the time you spend money on home remedies and OTC pain medicine, you could have put that money toward getting your problem fixed by the dentist. Ultimately, you won't be saving money by not going to a dentist, and you could end up quite ill as well -- not to mention that you'll be in a lot of pain.

Please find a way to get the care you need. :grouphug:

Check Missions of Mercy and see if they are active in your state: 

http://www.adcfmom.org/

And as others have said, try googling different things like free or low-cost dental care, dental schools, and so on. It really is an important health issue (plus I have ongoing dental issues, and they are agonizing enough with proper care; I can't imagine the pain without care). 

I would also start asking around locally; sometimes all it takes is for the right person to be aware of the problem. I hate to suggest the emergency room, but at least you would probably get scrips for painkillers and antibiotics - and possibly a referral to low-cost care. On the same theory, you might ask your kids pedi if he will write a scrip for antibiotics, as you know how dangerous it can be. He might do it, and even more importantly, he might help you find help. 

Thank you all for the advice. :) I have relieved the pain for the most part, but I know it's only temporary. I'm working to get in to see a dentist. I haven't found any free places that aren't months out. I'm on that list as well.

I hope you get an appointment soon. I have been worried about you because I had been trying (unsuccessfully) to locate this thread, so I'd started a new one to ask how you were doing and I guess you never saw it. I'm glad you're OK for now, and hope you can manage to remain pain-free until you can get in to see a dentist.

I hope you get an appointment soon. I have been worried about you because I had been trying (unsuccessfully) to locate this thread, so I'd started a new one to ask how you were doing and I guess you never saw it. I'm glad you're OK for now, and hope you can manage to remain pain-free until you can get in to see a dentist.

Thank you so very much for your concern. :) I really only typically have internet on the weekends. I appreciate your thought!