Menu

Educational magazines for the whole family?

National Geographic, National Geographic Kids (used to get Little Kids when younger), Ranger Rick (used to get Ranger Rick Junior).  They're all great, well-written with real science, nature, and history/travel information.  And the kids magazines are fun and engaging on top of that-

Re Mental Floss and New Scientist, what age range do you think could start out with these?

I would say 11-12. Mental Floss could possibly be started earlier. As always, it depends on the child.

Lily, 12, has lots of fun with Mental Floss. New Scientist requires more thought, so it's a different kind of enjoyment.

Setting magazines on the table during meals has been an unequivocal success.

I am always intrigued by which magazine she chooses. It's a secret little game I play. Hmm....is she in an Economist mood or a National Geographic one? Or will it be a Mental Floss meal? 

I would say 11-12. Mental Floss could possibly be started earlier. As always, it depends on the child.

Lily, 12, has lots of fun with Mental Floss. New Scientist requires more thought, so it's a different kind of enjoyment.

Setting magazines on the table during meals has been an unequivocal success.

I am always intrigued by which magazine she chooses. It's a secret little game I play. Hmm....is she in an Economist mood or a National Geographic one? Or will it be a Mental Floss meal? 

Thank you!

Might I ask one more question? Would Mental Floss ever have content that would be inappropriate for a 10 year old?

Okay thanks. Do you happen to have any examples of stories that might be inappropriate to some families?

I flipped through the November issue of Mental Floss looking for items some families might find inappropriate.

Article about alcohol (there is also at least one ad)

Article discussing top 25 websites--some are of the sites aren't kid-friendly, so some families might find even a blurp about them inappropriate

Twerking is mentioned in the same article

Article on sumo wrestlers might show more skin than some families are comfortable seeing

Those are a few that I saw with just a quick glance.

I hope that helps.

I flipped through the November issue of Mental Floss looking for items some families might find inappropriate.

Article about alcohol (there is also at least one ad)

Article discussing top 25 websites--some are of the sites aren't kid-friendly, so some families might find even a blurp about them inappropriate

Twerking is mentioned in the same article

Article on sumo wrestlers might show more skin than some families are comfortable seeing

Those are a few that I saw with just a quick glance.

I hope that helps.

Thanks so much for that! I'll be sure to flip through an issue next time I'm at the bookstore :)