Menu

Hi all,

I know there are many people here who have done WWS 1 so I hope I can get some advice. Ruth in NZ I know you have a lot of information on this.

DS is 12 in 7th grade. He is naturally a very creative writer & often writes for pure enjoyment. DS has had no previous writing courses. DS is doing WWS 1 this year and he is continually muffing it up. We are on week 10 and he has to constantly redo the work because he didn't follow the directions correctly. He is failing to make the connections of how this will make him a better writer. I know he is dreading each day but he doesn't say much because he is compliant. I feel like this is killing his love of writing. Additionally on the brief outside writing assignments I five him it seems to have made no difference his writing is still very juvenile.

So the question is ; was this a good place to start with a kid who loves creative writing? Would he be better off doing an IEW or even the 6 writing traits book from Evan Moore? I want to improve his expository writing skills.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Jean

That sounds about right for WWS1, lol.

I can't speak as to the creative writing part, but I do know that academic writing is different from creative writing, they use different skills. There are many who can do one easily but struggle with the other. And, if someone writes for a creative outlet, I doubt that time spend learning academic writing will 'kill' their love. Most creative writers I know would have to be forced to stop writing creatively. It isn't something they just turn off.

But, maybe just let him write creatively and leave that out of school for a while. Let that be something that he enjoys on his own.

As for WWS1 and directions, that is the most difficult part. And, I have learned that is a good thing. We just finished WWS2 this week, and I NEVER EVER thought we would get through WWS1, lol. But, we did and we both grew a lot. When it was all done we both knew it was worth it. My son is now so much better at following directions and meeting academic expectations. Honestly, I think that was one of the more important things he learned that year.

I did stuff like highlight the directions so that he didn't skip stuff. Every day I had him read the entire assignment to me and tell me what he understood his assignment to be. I would double check to make sure he had it correct. I had him physically show me the first page and the last page of the assignment. Then I would have him tell me what his plan was and I would write it on a white board. Then when he finished with an assignment I had him reread the directions to make sure that he followed them. I also had him double check what his plan was to see if he had done what he said he would do. I would also read him the grading rubric from my book so he would know what I was going to be looking at. Then when he was certain he had actually done what the assignment asked I would accept the assignment. I know it sounds like a big deal but it wasn't really. It took minutes. Precious minutes that saved lots of crying later.

I do know that when we did WWS1, he almost when hysterical when he had to write 50 whole words. :willy_nilly: Then, in the midst of WWS2 he was saying things like "300 words? No problem."

He still writes creatively. I know he spends time every night writing in his journals and illustrating them etc. That hasn't stopped.

I would read the directions out loud as he follows along. When finished, I would give him the Cliff Notes version of what is expected. If more help is still necessary, give him step #1, and tell him to come get you if he can't remember step #2. Frankly, the explanations are pretty wordy for a kid to do independently. (IMO) They could use a bullet list at the end as a summary.

Redsquirrel's advice was great! And she's btdt.  

I figure you have seen this thread, where people talk about how they have adapted WWS to work for their kids:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/490567-here-is-how-i-am-teaching-the-material-in-wws1-3-what-are-you-doing/

In it, someone  :blushing: mentioned the idea of skipping WWS1 and trying to teach the basics of narrative and descriptive writing using other resources, and then picking up with WWS2 to get the many unique things offered at that level.

My dd used WWS in 5th grade.  This year, we are using Traits of Writing by Ruth Culham and Warriner's Composition: Models & Exercises, First Course.  I believe that they cover pretty much everything WWS covers, in a way that might work better for some students.  At least they might be worth checking out.

I think Lost Tools of Writing might be another option for some teachers, but I personally couldn't get my head around teaching it.

Hi all,

I know there are many people here who have done WWS 1 so I hope I can get some advice. Ruth in NZ I know you have a lot of information on this.

DS is 12 in 7th grade. He is naturally a very creative writer & often writes for pure enjoyment. DS has had no previous writing courses. DS is doing WWS 1 this year and he is continually muffing it up. We are on week 10 and he has to constantly redo the work because he didn't follow the directions correctly. He is failing to make the connections of how this will make him a better writer. I know he is dreading each day but he doesn't say much because he is compliant. I feel like this is killing his love of writing. Additionally on the brief outside writing assignments I five him it seems to have made no difference his writing is still very juvenile.

So the question is ; was this a good place to start with a kid who loves creative writing? Would he be better off doing an IEW or even the 6 writing traits book from Evan Moore? I want to improve his expository writing skills.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Jean

I think children do need to learn how to do writing other than creative writing.  However, not every approach is good for every child, or may not be the right time.

I agree about things like reading the assignment along with him and so on if you continue with WWS.  It may also be that WWS is more than he is ready for at this point, or not the best approach for him.

Possibly if you put something he has actually written in the writing workshop part it would be helpful to see what you mean by "juvenile."   He is only 12, so one expects a level of childlike writing, but you may mean that he is not writing up to what you expect even for age 12.

I was excellent at creative writing, and personally wish I had had an IEW approach or something like it, so that academic writing in college would have been easier to do without requiring "inspiration" as for creative writing--so that I could just get it done when I had to get it done, without thinking every paper had to be a masterpiece.

My son (who detested IEW) has done well with the Brave Writer approach to writing that starts with jotting down bunches of stuff, and then sorting it and rewriting and so on, instead of doing outlines, summaries etc.--it is a different approach and option, and it might fit better with someone who likes creative writing.  I think SWB might have said at some point that students who like creative writing do not tend to love WWS.  But I may remember wrong.

I am fond of Traits of Writing, but do not recommend 6 trait workbooks from my own experience.    I would instead suggest the Scholastic book Traits of Writing for Middle School by Ruth Culham.

Thank you for these great responses. I too think probably the greatest benefit for DS would be learning to be very attentive to the directions. DS is one to assume he knows the directions or he will partially read the directions and again assume he knows the rest. I do currently have him highlight the directions, I just had that epiphany last week. At least it is making him aware but he still will manage to skip steps.

Bottom line, I feel like sticking with it so he learns how to follow directions. However maybe this is a misuse of a writing course because I still really need him to learn expository writing & I don't know if he is going to get that. I know a lot of people mention the parts to a whole approach and the truth is I don't know which is better for my son. I know other people are super good at knowing these things, I am not.

I will check out some of the other options, but I am still very torn. I welcome any other suggestions.

Thanks.

Jean

When my writing-loving dd began to loathe writing because of WWS and I mentioned it here, SWB herself responded that it's not necessarily the best fit for natural writers. That was all I needed to hear, and we left WWS behind right quick. Over a year later dd still refers to it as "that weird writing program." My primary interest was in not making my child hate writing. Her volume of output definitely decreased while we were using WWS (even writing on her own time). It picked back up again when we switched to something else.

Honestly, I wouldn't stick with WWS simply to teach your child to follow directions at the cost of him loathing his writing lessons. Learning to write needn't be hateful.

When my writing-loving dd began to loathe writing because of WWS and I mentioned it here, SWB herself responded that it's not necessarily the best fit for natural writers. That was all I needed to hear, and we left WWS behind right quick. Over a year later dd still refers to it as "that weird writing program." My primary interest was in not making my child hate writing. Her volume of output definitely decreased while we were using WWS (even writing on her own time). It picked back up again when we switched to something else.

Honestly, I wouldn't stick with WWS simply to teach your child to follow directions at the cost of him loathing his writing lessons. Learning to write needn't be hateful.

Let me be clear: WWS1-2 has taught my kid a whole lot more than following directions. He can now write a beautiful (for his age) paper, with quotations used and noted properly and a works cited page. His writing has become better than I thought possible. It is certainly better than I could teach him on my own. He has no fear of writing. It does not daunt him. He feels well prepared and knows how to approach an assignment in an orderly and well thought out fashion. He may squeak about a particular assignment, but that is due to normal not wanting to do stuff, not due to not knowing where to start or fear it will end badly.

The fact that WWS is written to the student and taught him a lot about reading and following direction was a cherry on top. It isn't the meal.

Is it for everyone? No. But, I don't want people thinking it is only good for teaching attendance to tasks.

I hadn't heard of the idea of a 'natural writer' when we started, but I would have put my son in that catagory. WWS has still been a great match for him. As he has moved through adolescence I have found the very direct and explicit instructions of WWS have been exactly what he needed.

At 13 and in 8th grade we are deep in the logic stage. Now I laugh when I think of my a few years ago asking "what does logic stage look like?" and other parents telling me 'You'll know when you see it." Well, that is true. At 13 my boy wants no ruffles, no frills. Just the facts mam and could you please speak a bit faster because I have stuff to do, and yeah, I got it even though I only heard half of it. He still loves novels by Dickens, but has a new found appreciation for Algebra. He says stuff like "I love Algebra. It is right or wrong, none of this opinion stuff".  Oh my goodness, that is not my dreamy head-in-the-clouds fairy boy! I know that part of him will come back when he hits the rhetoric stage (oh the poetry, oh the black nail polish...it is coming), but for now he needs up or down, right or wrong, 350 words about a scientific event that reoccurs on a regular basis.

Now, he never 'loathed' it. If he did then of course I would change. Of course. But he did struggle. And he did succeed and that made him feel good.

I have ds check his work to make sure all of the components are included BEFORE he turns it in to me. There is a nice summary of those components already included in the student text. I really like this part of WWS as it teaches ds that he must learn to fulfill the specifics on an assignment. It's an excellent preparation for high school and college writing assignments.

One thing that I have noticed about ds's writing is that when he is struggling with a new skill, his vocabulary goes way down. I have started having him narrate bits of an answer to me to check his understanding of the material before he goes off to wrestle with the writing component.

WWS isn't a program that you can just hand off to a child and hope he does well. It takes some active teaching/mentoring.

Hi Jean,

Welcome to the boards!  You have gotten some really wonderful advice here.  In fact I think this thread is excellent and would love for you to put a tag on it "WWS1" (only the original poster can do it, just edit your first post and you will see the tag line to fill in)!

What I think you need to do is

1) identify your goals

2) prioritize them

From what you have written, I see these goals:

improve expository writing

Improve 'juvenile' style (I am assuming this is a style thing but I am not sure)

Improve the ability to follow directions

Keep the love of writing intact

Only you can prioritize these goals (and any others you have) and then we can help you decide if you should keep working through WWS1, change *how* you teach WWS1, augment WWS, or move to a different curriculum.

If you are willing, it would be very helpful to see a piece of his writing -- just post it here.

Ruth in NZ

Thank you all for so much feedback. Ruth I love that you brought clarity to my goals...you are exactly right. Now to prioritize I would say since this is ultimately a writing program I should start with writing.

1. Improve expository writing

2. Be attentive to details/instructions

3. Learn how to outline

4. Maintain a love of writing.

DS just handed me a very lengthy summary of The Phantom Tollbooth so I will copy a paragraph here...typos and all.

There was once a boy named Milo who didn't know what to do with his life. He had plenty of book's and toys that he never cared to read. One day while in his room an odd box comes with a note that says, "To Milo, who has plenty of time." With that, an odd, small, purple tollbooth appears in his room. He then, of course, goes through it.

Milo ended up on a path on which he drove his small car down. He soon came across darker, twisted parts called the Duldrums. In this land, there are small miserable people. But, while there, he met an actuall watch dog named Tock.

That is the first 2 paragraphs, please let me know what you think. Lastly, DS had some educational testing done last year & I reviewed it today. It states that DS is a global learner or a whole to parts learner and that he is auditory learner.

Looking forward to your feedback.

Jean

He of course has spelling and verb tense changes to fix in later drafts, but there is a lot there that is good, for example, detail and variety in sentence structure.  This gives a  strong beginning framework to work with and develop for a next draft.  

Could you give a bit more that he did, and how he ended it?   Also, was this his choice to work on, or assigned or what?  Is this something he is interested in doing more drafts on to work on improving it?  Or has he already done about as much as he can stand on this?  Might changing it from a book summary into a book review help?

If he is up for doing revisions, I'd tend to use a Traits or Brave Writer approach and go through several drafts working on just one aspect (or trait) in each draft (other aspects may also improve, but I would not actively work on more than one thing at a time).  Or if possible if he could do at least one more draft to work on one aspect, I think it could be helpful.   And then a final-copy edit in which the spelling and things like moving from past tense to present tense to past again gets fixed up, adding in things like "or play with" about the toys and maybe mention that a car was one of the toys. 

Even though long, I'd also see if there is actually more that needs to be said,  For example, what is key about the Doldrums?   Small miserable people?   Why are they miserable?   What are they doing and where are they going?   And does it have any relevance to either Milo or your son or both?   What is an actual watch dog?  The fun in the book is in part the play with ideas like Doldrums or that the dog has a watch as part of the dog.  Or you could work with a thesaurus and look for synonyms to "small".  

In another recent writing thread, someone suggested giving a child an opening sentence that helps establish a tone and interesting viewpoint, and that is another possible way to go about a revision. 

I would not try to do too much too soon, unless he himself is gung-ho to do so.  My favorite sentence was:  He then, of course, goes through it.  This sentence to me started to have some interesting "voice" to it, where I get a bit of the feeling your son has for Milo in the "of course," unless that was actually in the book itself.

Because of your first three goals, I think you have 2 options:

1. Continue to use WWS level 1.  But because your son is both a global learner and an auditory learner, you will need to adapt it for these needs and for your 4th goal of maintaining a love of writing. (see below)

2. Learn narrative and descriptive writing with a different curriculum this year, and switch to WWS level 2 to teach expository writing, outlining, and following directions.  There are a bunch of really good curricula that teach this material in a manner that is more straightforward than WWS level 1, but still prep your kid for level 2, which is easier to use.

First of all, I would figure out exactly what he is dreading, because that would inform how you can adapt it.  Have a good long talk.  And chose from the above 2 options.

If you choose to adapt WWS level 1, I would make 3 major changes:

1) Because he is not regularly following the directions, I would get more involved in this.  Start with some of the ideas pp have given - check his understanding before he starts, etc.  I would make sure he has success with the writing first, meaning help him with the directions for a couple of months until he is comfortable with the writing style.  And then wean him off of your help.  I have definitely found that the first level is actually the most difficult in direction following because it is much more parts to whole, so you could definitely help out some in level 1 and let him be more independent in level 2.

2) To make sure that the expository writing is learned with a global learner using a parts-to-whole curriculum, I have found that I need to spend 30 minutes each week clarifying where this week's work fits into the whole.  I have also had lovely long conversations while going for a walk about what exactly is the goal of expository writing, how is it the same and different from creative writing, what are the different ways to learn to write, etc.  Just spend some time teaching him the big picture, and regularly reminding him what you have already taught him. 

3) I also think that you can meet goal 4 by making sure that he still has time for his creative writing.  Perhaps take 2 weeks off every 6 for creative writing, or change some of the assignments so that they could be more creative.  The descriptive assignments would be especially good for this, but there are some others.  Perhaps skip the copia work if it is not useful to him, and let him work on creative writing 1 day a week.  Ask him what he wants to do.

HTH,

Ruth in NZ

Thank you all for your thoughtful responses. I should have added another goal, working independently. Each year I have really held his hand through school work. This year I am really trying to foster indepence. I chose WWS1 because according to SWB for the older student it is supposed to be fairly independent. Having to get more involved in teaching this is not something I want to do. I feel strongly that he needs to start handling work on his own. Having said that I guess it would be more appropriate to switch what we are using and maybe just do WWS2 next year.

Ruth & others what do you think would be a good alternative for this year?

Thank you all so much for your wisdom.

Jean

Thank you all for so much feedback. Ruth I love that you brought clarity to my goals...you are exactly right. Now to prioritize I would say since this is ultimately a writing program I should start with writing.

1. Improve expository writing

2. Be attentive to details/instructions

3. Learn how to outline

4. Maintain a love of writing.

DS just handed me a very lengthy summary of The Phantom Tollbooth so I will copy a paragraph here...typos and all.

There was once a boy named Milo who didn't know what to do with his life. He had plenty of book's and toys that he never cared to read. One day while in his room an odd box comes with a note that says, "To Milo, who has plenty of time." With that, an odd, small, purple tollbooth appears in his room. He then, of course, goes through it.

Milo ended up on a path on which he drove his small car down. He soon came across darker, twisted parts called the Duldrums. In this land, there are small miserable people. But, while there, he met an actuall watch dog named Tock.

That is the first 2 paragraphs, please let me know what you think. Lastly, DS had some educational testing done last year & I reviewed it today. It states that DS is a global learner or a whole to parts learner and that he is auditory learner.

Looking forward to your feedback.

Jean

I didn't read through all the other responses, so someone else may have addressed this for you already.....  But if your DS is a global learner and whole to parts learner, I would think the incremental (dare I say tedious) method in WWS would be exactly opposite of what he would respond to best.   

I certainly think that Warriner's Composition: Models & Exercises (First Course) could be done independently by a kid this age.  It has ~20 lessons that cover Invention, Arrangement & Elocution - they don't use that terminology, but it's all in there.  Lessons consist of a brief explanation of the concept, then a model for them to read, and then they write their own composition. You could have him do the work independently and then work with him on revision and editing, focusing on the "point" of the lesson each time.  I don't think it's possible to have writing instruction be entirely independent, feedback is critical, but I get what you are saying about hoping that at some point a child can read the instructions and move forward without having you hold his hand.  Despite its billing, WWS doesn't seem to be like this for most students.  Some, but I believe they are not the majority.

I've just started using Warriner's with my 6th grader who basically completed WWS1.  I think it would get a kid to the point of being ready for WWS2.  I'm sure there are other options, this was just a recent find of mine, and I do like it!

Working independently is a skill set in and of itself. I suggest starting that in areas that are already strong for him.  However, maybe an online writing class would get him used to working with less help from you in the writing area.

Well I just had a heart to heart with DS & he says he feels like a failure using WWS1 but that he should continue.  I am going to over ride him here & have him discontinue, his self esteem is not great anyway & I don't need him feel like dirt over a textbook.  I will take a look at Warriners, what about IEW Ancients, is that something that works for global learners.  This is just not worth the strain.

I recommend taking a look at School Composition, a free, vintage book from Google Books. It was what I switched my dd to after WWS didn't work for her. It covers many of the same skills as WWS but is far less wordy and complicated. (You can follow it up with Writing in English by the same author.) You can also buy it in book form inexpensively through Amazon. My dd works through this fairly independently, although I do provide feedback and assistance with editing.

If you are thinking of IEW, I'd suggest the SWI (student writing intensive?) for his level, with videos directed toward the student learner.   It is expensive, but if you get it from the publisher it is returnable if he finds it not a good fit.   Another option would be a Brave Writer online course, probably at the intermediate level, his writing to me did not look like beginner level...they are super at making a reluctant, struggling child feel more confident, but it might also not give as much academic rigor as you want.   Less expensive could be EIW which also has videos directed to the student learner.  I have liked Zaner-Bloser materials which do not have video, but are fairly user friendly.   Something like Warriner's might be a good fit.   

There are a lot of options, and while that can be hard in terms of choice and cost, something is almost bound to be a good fit.  You might even see what your local library has, if anything.

Well I just had a heart to heart with DS & he says he feels like a failure using WWS1 but that he should continue.  I am going to over ride him here & have him discontinue, his self esteem is not great anyway & I don't need him feel like dirt over a textbook.  I will take a look at Warriners, what about IEW Ancients, is that something that works for global learners.  This is just not worth the strain.

As much as I like IEW from a teaching perspective.... and as well as my middle kids have done with it, I think it still felt incremental to my oldest ds.  We didn't stick with it very long.  I haven't tried the School Composition that Tara recommended, but for free I would try it before I bought something else. 

Honestly, when my oldest was 6th grade for quite awhile I just required a page a day on any topic of his choosing.  It was one of the best things we tried.  He learned that writing didn't always involve blood, sweat and tears.  We didn't even revise them.  I guess I got the idea from BraveWriter's Friday Freewrites, but then decided to do it every day.  The constant putting something on paper was really helpful.  I had a list of topics for him to choose from if he couldn't think of something, but he never used my list. 

So, maybe give the School Composition a try and see how it goes?

I started School Composition (Maxwell) this year with my 5th grader per Tara's recommendation.  It is now one of my favorite writing programs.  I am using it in combination with IEW.  If you are looking at IEW, I would recommend doing the SWI DVD course (as a pp said above).

Because he is not regularly following the directions, I would get more involved in this.  Start with some of the ideas pp have given - check his understanding before he starts, etc.  I would make sure he has success with the writing first, meaning help him with the directions for a couple of months until he is comfortable with the writing style.  And then wean him off of your help.  I have definitely found that the first level is actually the most difficult in direction following because it is much more parts to whole, so you could definitely help out some in level 1 and let him be more independent in level 2.

Thank you all for your thoughtful responses. I should have added another goal, working independently. Each year I have really held his hand through school work. This year I am really trying to foster indepence. I chose WWS1 because according to SWB for the older student it is supposed to be fairly independent. Having to get more involved in teaching this is not something I want to do. I feel strongly that he needs to start handling work on his own. Having said that I guess it would be more appropriate to switch what we are using and maybe just do WWS2 next year.

Ruth & others what do you think would be a good alternative for this year?

Thank you all so much for your wisdom.

Jean

The idea of an independent student has been discussed a few times over the years here at WTM. If your 12yo child were enrolled in a brick and mortar school, would you expect the teacher to hand off the books each morning with no instruction? Working independently is a worthwhile goal, but it takes time. Whether or not you stick with WWS, Ruth's above advice is excellent.

Well I don't just hand it off to him.  We read over the directions & I have him highlight it.  DS sits next to me doing his work, every day all day for the last 5 years. He is LD & was pulled out of school 5 years ago because of that.  So no I don't expect him to just do things on his own.  However, the goal we are working on this year was following written directions & we chose to do it in a subject generally speaking that is easy for him & that he enjoys, that's why we were really trying to do this in writing.  So independence does not mean "no instruction" nor does it mean I don't help him edit his work.  It means after we review the directions & he highlights them than DS will try to do the rest of the assignment independently, to follow each of the multiple steps which are so specifically spelled out.  To date he has not yet followed all the directions.  I just wanted to clarify that independence doesn't mean I am chatting on the phone & he is in another room doing God knows what.  I am literally sitting right next him, I unfortunately am not even able to leave the table & have him continue working.

Thank you for the curriculum suggestions I will take a look at them.

Well I don't just hand it off to him.  We read over the directions & I have him highlight it.  DS sits next to me doing his work, every day all day for the last 5 years. He is LD & was pulled out of school 5 years ago because of that.  So no I don't expect him to just do things on his own.  However, the goal we are working on this year was following written directions & we chose to do it in a subject generally speaking that is easy for him & that he enjoys, that's why we were really trying to do this in writing.  So independence does not mean "no instruction" nor does it mean I don't help him edit his work.  It means after we review the directions & he highlights them than DS will try to do the rest of the assignment independently, to follow each of the multiple steps which are so specifically spelled out.  To date he has not yet followed all the directions.  I just wanted to clarify that independence doesn't mean I am chatting on the phone & he is in another room doing God knows what.  I am literally sitting right next him, I unfortunately am not even able to leave the table & have him continue working.

Thank you for the curriculum suggestions I will take a look at them.

If you want to use writing for this, how about trying NaNoWriMo (national novel writing month)--even if you end up a bit late in starting it.  And I believe you can download its materials for free also. Then he could work on independent creative writing as a step toward independence and which would also give him a lot of writing time for the month, but would be separate from academic writing which is still new for him.

• 5 months later...

To make sure that the expository writing is learned with a global learner using a parts-to-whole curriculum, I have found that I need to spend 30 minutes each week clarifying where this week's work fits into the whole.  I have also had lovely long conversations while going for a walk about what exactly is the goal of expository writing, how is it the same and different from creative writing, what are the different ways to learn to write, etc.  Just spend some time teaching him the big picture, and regularly reminding him what you have already taught him. 

Ruth (and anyone else who cares to jump in),

Hi!  First, let me just introduce myself-- I am Jessica from KS, and I have posted here a few times several years ago, but have lost my login and no longer have the old e-mail I used to sign up, so I am back with a new name.  =)

I hope you don't mind me resurrecting this post!  Perhaps I need to start a new thread...

Anyway, I am about to start WWS1 with my DS11, DD11, and DD10.  I love what you said here about giving your kids the big picture.  I would love to do the same!  However, as of yet, I have no knowledge to pass on to them!  Where do I begin?  Do you have any suggestions as to what I might read to give me a good overview of "what exactly the goal of expository writing" is, etc.?  Perhaps there is a book or website that would give me this background.  We will be starting with WWS in just a few weeks, so I would love to find something that would give me a quick overview and then maybe something that I could soak in for a while as we are moving through WWS to get a deeper understanding.

THANK YOU!!!

Jessica (from Kansas)