Menu

I'm doing a terrible job with history - help!

OKCyndi

I spent many hours of planning history this summer - I had the medieval period all mapped out.....texts, read-alouds, historical fiction, Knowledge Quest maps, a gorgeous timeline book - everything! As a core curriculum guide, I have Biblioplan which maps out all the assignments. Honestly, I don't know what happened - we've done so little, and I'm trying to figure out how to pick up the pieces.

I think I was overwhelmed by how much work was planned by Biblioplan, and now I need to just recover lost time by just doing a bare bones approach, but I don't know how to do that!

My daughter is a 5th grader, and we've done a good job keeping up her IEW Medieval writing and memory work from the Medieval period. Any advice for salvaging the rest of my grand plans?

We are using Biblioplan too. I think if we were way behind, I would pare down how many books we use. I would use SOTW for sure, and pick *some* of the readers/read alouds to do. I would probably look at whether some weeks could be skimmed--for my second grader, I know that the reformation unit doesn't have much for younger kids, for instance, so I would probably look to shorten that. We are in the renaissance unit now, and there are several weeks that focus on artists, no SOTW reading at all. It's very light compared to earlier weeks and they could probably be combined a bit. Then I would just do it--make sure a week's worth of material (or more) gets covered each week.

Do you both enjoy history? Are you behind because it just takes a lot of time to get everything done, or is history a lower priority? I love Biblioplan and think it's fantastic for history buffs who like reading, but it is a lot of material and if it's drudgery, there are other programs that might fit better.

think is the most valuable. Personally, I would make sure I get the core history reading in there and probably the read alouds. I don't know what all you have that you wish you could get to, but I would just add one or two things back in and build up to where you want to be slowly. It also helps me if I schedule a certain time for something. I don't usually schedule our day by time, but there are a couple things that don't seem to get done unless I say, Wed at 11:00 we are going to do __________. No one gets lunch until we finish. (or something like that.)

as you get into the next couple of years. Still great stuff - but you HAVE to pick and choose, unless you are a history buff, as mentioned above.

We used Biblioplan for Ancients, Middle Ages, and 1600-1850 (barely). The last book was way too much reading, so I opted to choose a spine (SOTW IV) w/AG and took readers/read-alouds from the AG. I will say that it is a lot easier, but I don't feel as though we are as deep as we've been in the past. This year we've had to focus on other things. We do the outlines, maps, timeline and some projects.

I would just pick what you want and don't feel guilty about not doing it all!:)