Menu

Mystery Girl Found in Greece

BigMamaBird

I don't know if this situation is typical or acceptable amongst Rom living in Eastern Europe, but  the way the story is playing out is not particularly surprising.  The story that Roma couple from Greece told from the beginning seems to be true, and that was by far the most logical scenario, not wild stories of kidnapping or trafficking (although those were certainly possibilities- there are evil people in any group). But I can't get past the idea that this couple was treated with far more suspicion than necessary because they are Rom.  The media coverage of this story has been disappointing.

Any group that is marginalized, especially one that is as marginalized as Rom are, isn't likely to trust the official state systems. The official Greek systems pretty clearly this week showed they don't trust Rom either.  I don't know if there's a good way to start building trust, but it sure took a hit this week.  There are people who have been working for years to try to find ways to support the Rom in culturally sensitive ways and if this is simply a story of welfare fraud, it's unfortunate that it's likely to make trusting each other even more difficult.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic