Menu

Writing Course description for transcript...

How do you write one of these? I'm sure there is some super easy answer and it's just that I'm completely clueless regarding high school, but I'm wondering where you come up with these well-put together descriptions? Is it from the textbook they are using? How do you do it if it's a course you've put together yourself?

Also, how do you know which category your a class may fall under if it's not obvious? For example, my ds just finished an electronics course at Quick Study Labs, but I'm not sure what category it goes under in terms of putting it on the transcript? Or let's say he teaches frisbee to local kids in the neighborhood...lol. Is that transcript worthy? It's not something he gets paid for, of course, but he puts a lot of time into it. Maybe I'm just reaching for straws on that one. I just want to keep my mind open as to how much a home-schooler really does that could be put on a transcript for the enrichment of it. 

Thanks for any ideas...

How do you write one of these? I'm sure there is some super easy answer and it's just that I'm completely clueless regarding high school, but I'm wondering where you come up with these well-put together descriptions? Is it from the textbook they are using? How do you do it if it's a course you've put together yourself?

For math. I took the ones from the AoPS website, like this description of the geometry course, for example:

"This course covers a full honors geometry curriculum, plus many advanced problem solving geometric applications not found in a standard geometry class. Topics covered in the class include triangle similarity and congruence, complicated area problems, mastering the triangle, special quadrilaterals, polygons, the art of angle chasing, construction, power of a point, 3-dimensional geometry, transformations, analytic geometry, basic trigonometry, and geometric proofs."

For self-designed courses, I elaborate a bit more. I explain, for example, that we teach literature and history in an integrated way, list the main works of literature studied and the TC lectures we used, and the basis for evaluation. Those took up about half a page.

For science, I list the level, textbook, topics covered, whether it included labs, and the method of evaluation.

Also, how do you know which category your a class may fall under if it's not obvious? For example, my ds just finished an electronics course at Quick Study Labs, but I'm not sure what category it goes under in terms of putting it on the transcript?

Anything that can not be clearly put into the five core categories math, English, social sciences and foreign language, I listed under "electives".

Or let's say he teaches frisbee to local kids in the neighborhood...lol. Is that transcript worthy? It's not something he gets paid for, of course, but he puts a lot of time into

I would list this as an extracurricular activity.

Here are some examples of the course descriptions that I wrote.

MTH 111 - College Algebra
College Algebra is the study of basic functions and their applications. This includes polynomial, rational, exponential, and logarithmic functions and their inverses. Other topics include an introduction to sequences and non-linear systems of equations. In accordance with national recommendations, this course emphasizes skill building, problem solving, modeling, reasoning, communication, connections with other disciplines, and the appropriate use of technology. A graphing calculator is required.
5.000 Credit Hours (Class taken at ZCC in 11th grade.) Awarded 0.50 credits.

Algebra 2
A comprehensive course covering: linear equations and inequalities, graphs and functions, polynomials and factoring, rational expressions, rational equations and functions, radicals, complex numbers, linear models, the conic sections, systems of equations including matrix methods, and exponential and logarithmic functions.
(Class taken at home in 10th grade.) Awarded 1.00 credits.

Geometry
This classical geometry course is heavily dependent on deductive reasoning and the proof writing process and also relies on compass-and-straight-edge constructions. Topics include points, lines, planes; rays and angles; congruent triangles; geometric inequalities, parallel lines; quadrilaterals; transformations; area; similarity; right triangles; circles, concurrence theorems; regular polygons and the circle; geometric solids, non-Euclidean geometry and coordinate geometry.
(Class taken at home in 9th grade.) Awarded 1.00 credits.

World Literature from 1700 to 2000
A study of 18th through 20th century short stories and novels with the intent of familiarizing the student with selected literary works of enduring quality. This interdisciplinary course (see the associated History course below) allows the student to explore this time period by reading its literature while also studying its historical context. (Class taken at home in 9th grade.) Awarded 0.50 credits.

World History from 1700 to 2000
This reading-based course covers world-changing events of the 18th through 20th centuries which have shaped our culture today; it complements the associated Literature course (listed above) by giving the student a context for the literature studied. The course also includes musical recordings, documentaries, and videos of or about the time. Map work and short writing assignments are required. (Class taken at home in 9th grade.) Awarded 1.00 credits.

You'll note that I did not include textbook names or novel titles in my course descriptions. I included separate reading and textbook lists with that information.

For classes that my daughter took at the local community college (indicated as ZCC above), I copied course descriptions from the college catalog.  Likewise, when my daughter took at class through PA Homeschoolers, I used their course description.  (I believe that I shortened it somewhat.)

For classes like Algebra 2 and Geometry where my daughter used a standard text, I used a search engine (Google) and input the terms "Algebra 2 course description plus the author of the text" and used those course descriptions as the basis of my own.

The World Literature and World History courses I listed above were homemade courses.  Once again, I used a search engine to look for the course descriptions of similar courses taught at the high school and college level.  I adjusted those to best describe the courses my daughter did at home.

Regards,
Kareni

Also, check out the pinned thread at the top of the high school board: Transcripts, Credits, GPA/Grading... There are quite a few past linked threads in POST #1, under the sub heading of: "Course Descriptions" (about 3/4ths of the way down in post #1).  Below are a few of the many linked threads in that post. BEST of luck! Warmly, Lori D.  [wearing my administrator hat! --->  :hat:] 

Writing course descriptions (advice for how to start, what to include)
Course descriptions -- please post tips here
Would love to see your course descriptions

Course descriptions: is it permissible to use the [school's] course description (for an outsourced class)
AP course descriptions and syllabi

Also, how do you know which category your a class may fall under if it's not obvious? For example, my ds just finished an electronics course at Quick Study Labs, but I'm not sure what category it goes under in terms of putting it on the transcript? Or let's say he teaches frisbee to local kids in the neighborhood...lol. Is that transcript worthy? It's not something he gets paid for...

Electronics would be an Elective. Most courses that aren't obvious tend to fall into the Elective category. ;)

Teaching frisbee would be an extracurricular. It's very important to have a separate extracurriculars list with descriptions, because colleges want to see that students do more than just academics. And make special note that it is *volunteer* AND that he is *working with younger students* -- both of those are big, helpful aspects when applying for scholarships! :)