Menu

Our life in Naples...week 2...domani, domani...

LisaKinVA

Favorite Italian word..."domani" -- tomorrow.  Everything is "tomorrow." When it comes to our disbursements, however, I think they really mean "un domani" (some day).

We're waiting on all of our reimbursements from our 10 days prior to arriving in Naples, our per-diem advance to pay the hotel we're in, and some other funds we're owed.  Kinda putting a crimp on doing much.  We could really use damoney (tee-hee).

I have seen some ruins, though...

There are ruins under the commissary, and the NEX (think big department store) -- big green glass tiles allow you to look at some ancient artifacts.  I have also seen a split mountain (while being driven out to Carney park), and an old building...I also looked at a house this week that overlooks Lago Patria and the Mediterranean Sea...and some Roman ruins (the house meets all of our needs in many ways...) I hope that counts as sight-seeing ;)

My 7yo started the local DoD school...so I walk her to the bus stop at 6:50 each morning, and walk to pick her up at 3:00 in the afternoon.  She'll be doing some after-schooling for the foreseeable future.  Older children are getting into a routine with school and chores.  Not having the 7yo around makes the apartment noticeably quiet (shockingly, so).  I'm keeping up with the laundry fairly well...of course it hangs all over the room (my decorations change daily...haha)

Hopefully, my dh will allow our express shipment to be delivered.  I have yet to figure out where the loaner locker is to get some measuring cups/spoons, I have tried to make it to the thrift store twice...but it was closed twice, and hadn't opened yet the third time.  I think I have it figured out for next Tuesday.

We went to park day with the local home schoolers this week...kids had lots of fun playing/running around.  Younger ds went to cub scouts and had a blast...haven't figured out how to get the oldest to/from scouts yet...a bit bummed about that.  I also need to finish up paperwork for the girls' Trailblazer status for AHG.

Everyone is pretty happy, healthy, and taking everything in stride.

It's a beautiful day out, too!  Time to run the laundry!

Very Big Smile.

but....

still no house? 

hopefully, soooon!

ann

House hunting as a DoD civilian is no easy task.  If we were a contractor or worked for JFC, things would go much more quickly.  A few things factor into this:

1) No MLS system.  Houses are listed with individual realtors (they may be listed by more than one), so you put your list of what you'd like together, and a realtor shows you what they have. 

2) Lack of photos (well, they seem to photograph the outside and the bathrooms...) I think the most photos I've ever seen of a house is 10, usually you see 4 (outside, and at least two bathrooms, and one other room, if you're lucky).

3) #1 & #2 combine to make it nearly impossible to weed out homes, other than by the # of bedrooms (most of the realtors say "big" house, and they mean it has 5 bedrooms...never mind that 2 of the bedrooms would pass for a closet in the states...haha).  

4) It's not just about the house...it's about the commute AND the location.  Oh the stories...lol...You need to go back to the house at night, during the middle of the day, etc. to see what's going on in the neighborhood.  You could move in and find a gentlemen's club is next door! (yes, that one is TRUE).  OR, it seems like a quiet neighborhood...until the sun goes down...and all of the businesses open.  DH also has to drive from the house in commuter traffic to determine the actual time to get there...because it could be in the right zip code, but up a windy road that takes 10 minutes to go down and get to the street...or it's fine before 8am, but is horrible at 5pm, doubling his time to get home.

5) DoD Housing office.  From the time we sign a contract, to the time we move in is approximately 2 weeks.  From the time we find a house, to the time we sign a contract...about two weeks.  That is all assuming the house passes inspections (never do, the first time around, so add another 2 weeks), and the house is already registered with housing (half are, half are not...if they aren't...add 2 more weeks).  Due to things essentially shutting down from 2-4, I can look at houses from 10-2...if an American is living at the house, I might be able to get in after 4.  If no one is living there, I may be able to get in after 4, IF the landlord is willing.  And, if it's still occupied...good luck.  All four parties have to be present (me, tenant, landlord and realtor)

I've seen a bunch of houses (I really have), one will definitely meet our needs -- just really need my husband to take a closer look, and go back to a couple of others to compare.  We also need someone to drive us to the places we need to be (Carney Park, Support Site, Work, Italian Swim Club), to really look at the streets/time issues.  THEN, we need to negotiate leases with the landlord (the place we like the best, doesn't sound like they have a great landlord...and could wind up pricing it out of our range...which is why I didn't "jump" at the house.  People are living there currently, and they are never home (everyone is at the high school), I need to figure our energy costs at at least double their prices, if not triple...either that, or get really used to a hot house (they don't use the a/c...and while we were there, it was definitely muggy inside).  

How exciting for you guys!  Oh, how we miss Europe!!!!!!  LOL at domani.  Italians are so not in a hurry.  In Germany, IME, it depends on where they're from.  Bavarians are very like the Italians (morgen-tomorrow), but the further north you go, they become more "Jetzt!  Jetzt!" (NOW! NOW!).  

We have friends in Germany who had similar experiences with finding housing.  Definitely go back at different times of the day.  It is amazing how different neighborhoods can be once everyone is home, or evening has fallen.  Post photos once you get a house.

You guys are going to have such a wonderful experience.  I haven't seen any of your other posts.  Have you been into Naples proper?  It is so insane!  I adore it.  I would love for James Bond to get stationed in Naples.  

How exciting for you guys!  Oh, how we miss Europe!!!!!!  LOL at domani.  Italians are so not in a hurry.  In Germany, IME, it depends on where they're from.  Bavarians are very like the Italians (morgen-tomorrow), but the further north you go, they become more "Jetzt!  Jetzt!" (NOW! NOW!).  

We have friends in Germany who had similar experiences with finding housing.  Definitely go back at different times of the day.  It is amazing how different neighborhoods can be once everyone is home, or evening has fallen.  Post photos once you get a house.

You guys are going to have such a wonderful experience.  I haven't seen any of your other posts.  Have you been into Naples proper?  It is so insane!  I adore it.  I would love for James Bond to get stationed in Naples.  

No...really haven't been anywhere yet...sad to say.  If we can't walk, or don't have a ride...it's just not getting done.  Supposedly, HRO is going to look into our missing $$$ on Monday (not exactly tomorrow...unless you're counting business days).

You all should be proud of me...hanging all of my laundry to dry is a HUGE accomplishment (family of 7...itty bitty washers...washing clothes every day...and trying to do everything after 8pm or before 8am (when electricity is cheaper).  DH has a loaner car next week (YAY!)  His ride is going to be out on a ship, so his wife volunteered his car :D  We may be getting OUT of here! 

I also need to get some bookshelves & bookends (Ikea), and a broom, dustpan, and mop.  I'm really trying hard not to buy stuff for temporary quarters, but there is a limit to how much chaos I can take ;)