Menu

TX law - Can you homeschool someone else's children?

I had a mom approach me about this and told me she wanted to pay me to homeschool her child starting in the '09-'10 school year. I don't think there is any way I would be able to do this - I struggle to keep up with schooling my own! :D It got me wondering though...is this allowed by Texas law?

Thanks!

I had a mom approach me about this and told me she wanted to pay me to homeschool her child starting in the '09-'10 school year. I don't think there is any way I would be able to do this - I struggle to keep up with schooling my own! :D It got me wondering though...is this allowed by Texas law?

Thanks!

I think Joanne does this!

Thanks!

Yup! There is no problem with this in Texas law. The person providing the homeschool is treated like a private school.

This is copy and pasted from the Texas Home School Coalition's website: http://www.thsc.org/FAQ/default.asp I bolded the sentence pertaining to number of children.

May someone else homeschool my child?

Yes. Home schools in Texas have been determined by the Texas Supreme Court to be private schools. Private schools are not regulated by the state of Texas. There are no requirements such as teacher certification or curriculum approval. The ruling of the Leeper case states that a parent "or one standing in parental authority" may educate a child. However, if a person is teaching more than three students outside her family, the teacher may encounter problems with local zoning ordinances, and the state will require that the teacher be licensed for child care.

Hope this helps!

Thanks!

Jennefer,

You would be surprised at what a great motivator(sp?) money is. I went from hsing my dd 06/7 school year to adding my ds and dd kindergarten and 4 other girls for 07/8. Before you start saying I am crazy or amazing or whatever, I'm not. I just needed the money and worked very hard. To be sure I was very tired at the end of the day, but my dc had a better education as a result. Because I was getting paid to "tutor" I had to really give my best. Something I am ashamed to admit I hadn't always done with my dd alone. Plus activities take on new dimensions. We put on a one act play, did experiments together. Plus if the child is in the same grade it's a bonus. I don't want to offend you with this statement but I really believe if you pray and it is God's will then His grace will be with you. HTH

BTW please forgive my spelling. I wasn't hschooled.:D

Thanks!

I don't see any reason that you couldn't. However, *I* would not say that I was "homeschooling" someone else's child, especially since the mother would be paying me. That's a private school. And doesn't that sound better? :-)