Menu

Where do you keep.....?

Grantmom

I think it would be helpful to hear where people keep different things in their home.  Because we are home so much and use our home so much, I feel like organization is more challenging.  I like to hear how other people have things organized.  So I will start, and feel free to chime in with other questions about what you are interested in where other people keep certain items!  :)

Where do you keep markers and blank paper?

Where do you keep onions?  (I know, totally random, but I honestly have no place to store onions in my kitchen and always wonder where people keep them.)

I keep paper and markers in plastic drawer thingies -- the ones with 3 drawers each, just the size of paper. I have two: one is paper (blank/lined/colors) and the other is markers / pencil crayons / pens-pencils-erasers-scissors-glue-tape-paper clips. The drawers pull out and are used for various projects, then put away as a whole.

Onions I store in the freezer: either raw and chopped, or already caramelized.

We have an office/school room, so anything related to that, including markers and blank paper, are in there.  We have a lot, so we keep them in a shoebox size clear bin on a bookcase shelf.  The blank paper is on another bookcase (actually a wall of three bookcases) that holds all my school stuff.

Onions: I always have a ton on hand because I use so many.  I keep a bag in a vintage vegetable tin on my counter.  Sometimes I keep some in my crisper drawer in my fridge as well.  And some are on a shelf in my pantry.  Just keep them away from wherever you store potatoes; it makes them both spoil quickly.

We have home office, and there's a large drawer in the credenza there that's dedicated to school supplies.

Onions are tricky.  In the summer I keep them inside where it's cooler and less humid (cause the AC is always on).  I don't buy more than I can use within a few days and usually just keep them in the cabinet with the pots and pans.  In the winter I keep them in the garage and buy larger bags.  They keep longer in the cool weather plus we use a lot more in soups and stews.

Blank notebook paper I keep in a desk organizer like this: http://www.amazon.com/Sparco-90206-3-Tier-Steel-Black/dp/B000GAXL7I/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1381674124&sr=8-7&keywords=desk+organizer

I keep copy paper in a drawer and writing implements in tall mason jars (pens, pencils, colored pencils). Whiteboard markers I keep on the tray under the hanging white board. Other types of markers I keep in a drawer with other school supplies.

Onions -- Hanging baskets in the kitchen.

Where are the mason jars?

Are the baskets hanging from the ceiling?

I keep paper and markers in plastic drawer thingies -- the ones with 3 drawers each, just the size of paper. I have two: one is paper (blank/lined/colors) and the other is markers / pencil crayons / pens-pencils-erasers-scissors-glue-tape-paper clips. The drawers pull out and are used for various projects, then put away as a whole.

I never thought about storing them raw in the freezer.  Do you peel them first or just toss them in the freezer?

Paper tend to go in a 3-level office tray organizer thingie on a shelf in a bookcase from my childhood.  A the moment, said bookcase is in danger of tipping forward from the profusion of craft stuff, but that's just a sign that we have to do our quarterly clean out.

I vacillate between onions in the dark pantry and onions in the fridge crisper drawer, but I haven't decided if there is an advantage to either.  For now, the onion's spot in the pantry has been taken over by something else.

blank paper is in a drawer in our office. Felt markers, crayons, and pencil crayons are organized into plastic pencil cases and stacked on one of the bookcases. It's fairly neat. I put a label on the ends of them so the kids can see which one to grab. onions are either braided by their tops and hung in the pantry or barn, or they are kept in the produce bags and hung in the pantry or the barn.

(see interpolations, below)

I think it would be helpful to hear where people keep different things in their home.  Because we are home so much and use our home so much, I feel like organization is more challenging.  I like to hear how other people have things organized.  So I will start, and feel free to chime in with other questions about what you are interested in where other people keep certain items!   :)

Depends upon which markers and which blank paper.  (You did not want to hear that!)

Colored markers and black sharpies for school use are in a pull-out drawer of a plastic drawer set upstairs in the office.  ("Office" is its name, but work is carried out all over the house.)

Blank paper (lined, blank for drawing, notebooks, empty binders) are in the "school closet", a very large walk-in closet nextdoor to the office.

Blank paper for the printer is in the built-in, wall-length, structure that holds our printer, router, and PC, and also has drawers and bookshelves going up the wall to the ceiling.  In the office.

Where do you keep onions?  (I know, totally random, but I honestly have no place to store onions in my kitchen and always wonder where people keep them.)

Onions sit in a wire basket in the kitchen.  We have two portable air conditioner units that we keep in their original boxes until they are needed for ourselves, or to lend to friends.  One box atop the other, covered with a table cloth.  This makes an impromptu "table" next to the kitchen back door, upon which we place said onion basket alongside the cold cereal plastic bins.

I keep markers and blank construction paper on a bookshelf in my dining room (next to the table). The markers are in the craft box and the paper is next to it. I'm sure my youngest also has markers in his personal supply box. I also have blank printer paper on a shelf below the printer. Kids tend to go for that first (not the construction paper). 

Onions are in the pantry closet, on the floor in a box. Potatoes are also in there. 

I think it would be helpful to hear where people keep different things in their home.  Because we are home so much and use our home so much, I feel like organization is more challenging.  I like to hear how other people have things organized.  So I will start, and feel free to chime in with other questions about what you are interested in where other people keep certain items!   :)

When the dc were home, blank paper (I'm assuming you mean lined notebook paper?) was kept in a horizontal desk paper thinige...you know what I mean, lol. You can stack several on top of each other. Computer paper is kept next to my printer on my desk.

Markers (and other similar small office supplies) are in a Tupperware Modular mate.

Onions go in the fridge.

We have two of those plastic three-drawer rolling carts in the closet of our family room (it's the size of a coat closet). Markers, pens, and pencils are in one of the drawers. Notebook paper and construction paper is in another drawer. Printer paper is stored in desk drawers where the printers are.

Onions are stored in mesh bags hanging from hooks in the stairway leading to our basement. Guess I'll have to figure out a new storage place once we finish the basement next year :lol:

Markers and blank paper- inside 'the monolith' - our huge desk thingy that opens up and has tons of shelves and such (not really a desk, or not used as one, anyway - just used for storage) sort of like an armoire.  

Onions - in the bottom right drawer in the fridge.  That's where I keep all vegetables.

copy paper is in a plastic drawer set on the shelf below the printer (large wire mesh shelf I bought specifically to hold our 2 printers and our scanner).

spiral notebooks are currently stored on the book shelves where most of our homeschool material is stored.  loose leaf paper used to be stored in a wall bin in the breakfast nook (when the kids were in school and needed a lot of it) or in one of the filing cabinets where I also keep envelopes and such.

Onions are kept with potatoes (bad, i know) on the bottom shelf of the wooden kitchen island/cart thing where i do almost all food prep.  I did keep potatoes in the fridge for a while after a bad incident, but my fridge now is too small.

I have a plastic hanging file box with lid for paper. Each kind of paper has a hanging file (lined, grid, colored, blank...). Sharpies are in a lidded, latched box on a high shelf. Washable markers and colored pencils are in a metal silverware organizer (the kind that Target has in the summer in the outdoor area with a wide space for plates and napkins and three sections for utensils). Scissors, tape, glue sticks, etc. are in there too.

Onions live in a mesh bag in a stainless colander on an open shelf.

We have a desk in our "dining room" that has school stuff.    Permanent/sharpie markers are in a cup on the kitchen counter toward the back of the counter (so no one including DH grabs one than doesn't realize it is permanent).

We have onions and potatoes in the basement.  There is a place at the bottom of the stairs (a little nook), that is where the onions are usually found.   We also sometimes have one or two on the kitchen counter where the garlic/fruit/vegetables that sit out might be located if they will be used that day.

Guest inoubliable

Not much in the way of markers here, but we keep all art supplies in a low, wide basket in the center of our dining room table. (Our dining room is actually our school room). Blank paper... We have some really nice, heavy, printing paper gifted by a friend and that lives in the bottom of my china cabinet. There are a few packets of notebook paper and graph paper in there, too.

Onions? I have a three shelf rolling cart from IKEA that acts as our pantry. (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50227973/) It also lives in our dining room, next to our mini fridge. Onions are on the top shelf. 

We have a shelf on one bookcase that is used for this stuff.  There is a set of stacking paper trays to keep the blank paper separated: one each for graph paper, lined paper, and just blank printer paper.  Next to it is a plastic three-drawer chest: one drawer is for pencils, one for pens, and the last for colored pencils.  Markers are stored on top of the bookcase in a nice basket because that's where they were placed when the kids were little and needed adult supervision for marker use.  The rest of that shelf holds the clipboards.  The shelf above it  holds the reference books, a ball jar full of bookmarks, the 3-hole punch, and calculators.  The one above that is for the current-use curriculum.  The bottom shelf in that bookcase holds the kids' binders, and some bigger items like placemat maps.

Onions are in a hanging basket in the kitchen.  We use onions almost every day because they give a lot of flavor to cooked foods.

Apparently onions and other root vegetables stored together rot faster.  And supposedly storing them in the fridge ruins their flavor?

yeah, i forgot the markers bit.  I have a small halloween plastic cauldron on the breakfast nook table (which used to be where the kids did homework when in school, but now is for feeding the cats) with pens, pencils and some markers.  On the book shelves in the dining room, where i have homeschool supplies, I have another plastic drawer set which originally had my youngest's math (still there, from last year) and has a drawer of pencils and pens and blank 3x5 cards.  I have three school pencil boxes with crayons, thick markers and thin markers, stacked next to the drawers, and a ziploc bag of colored pencils that hang out on the top of the stack.  I also have some sharpies in the everything drawer in the kitchen.  We are not crafty, so we dont really have to keep much crafty stuff around

I have not looked this up; however, I wonder whether one does not refrigerate onions for the same reason that one does not refrigerate tomatoes. (The cell walls break down, resulting in a mushy tomato.) (I have read that explanation more than once, and onions, also, are of high water content. )

We have the same drawer thingies - paper size with 4 drawers.  Two of them fit in side by side perfectly in the bookcase in our study/schoolroom.  All our stationary and craft supplies are in about 10 of these things.

I peel and chop them up, and put them in a ziplock, so I can just grab some when I want to cook with onion -- which isn't very often.

I use onions often and I do this too.  Ziplock in the freezer.  I also have a basket in my pantry cupboard where they may lie for a day or two before I get to chopping.

I have not looked this up; however, I wonder whether one does not refrigerate onions for the same reason that one does not refrigerate tomatoes. (The cell walls break down, resulting in a mushy tomato.) (I have read that explanation more than once, and onions, also, are of high water content. )

I'd be interested in knowing what you find out. For all the years that I have hung my onions, my mom has hung hers, and my grandma has hung hers we have never ended up with a mushy onion before spring. Perhaps the places that we pick are just cool enough.

I keep my onions and my tomatoes in the refrigerator.  The only time either has ever gotten mushy, is when my fridge has gotten too cold, and they froze.