Menu

Success with Nancy Larson Science!! You have to check it out!

rika4584

We used Nancy Larson Science Levels 2 and 3 and we LOVED it!! The teacher’s manual is scripted, but if you don’t like that sort of thing you can just read over it and use your own words when teaching. The program came with almost everything you would need for the activities; you just supply household items like paper clips, scrap paper, etc. The program teaches the material in a very child-friendly way without insulting the child’s intelligence.  The lessons take about 20-30 minutes and are hands-on.  My kids always ended the lessons with a comment similar to “Wow! I can’t believe I didn’t know that already!† The material teaches so naturally!  There are reviews and tests built into the curriculum, as well as science word lists to help with vocabulary retention. The CD-ROM has supplemental resources to help “drive the lessons home.â€

It appears to be a little expensive but it is sooo worth it! Keep in mind that the cost covers your supply kit, resource kit, teacher’s manual with solutions, tests, student worksheets, student booklets, and more!  Not only does it include the things I’ve listed, but it even teaches study skills and the kids learn how and what to hi-light in their booklets to help them during study time.  You will even find some grammar teachings, which may appear as a latent function to parents but never-the-less, it is intentionally and creatively woven into the curriculum.  For example, level 4 teaches the Greek root bios, and then the child learns about the suffix –logy, then the derivative “biology†makes sense. 

NLS has a built-in reading reinforcement as well. My son struggled with reading comprehension for a few years and we were beginning to think there was some sort of delay or diagnosis.  However, after using NLS for one year, his reading comprehension rocketed up to grade level!  Now, here is the part that made my eyes swell with happy tears: After completing level 3, my son tested into 9th grade reading/comprehension! Oh my, I get weepy just thinking about it!  After all, every mother wants her child to do well in school.  Every mother wants her child to have confidence in his or her academic ability.  Every mother’s heart hurts a little more each time her child cries because he or she just don’t seem to be able to understand something in school. It seems odd that a science curriculum can hugely impact reading, right? Well, Nancy Larson did her research and developed such a curriculum! It is fun AND easy to teach! My kids actually remember things they learned months ago so this alone makes me a happy camper. 

Update:

This school year we went with a different science program because of finances and changes in our family structure.  It has been 7 months since we have used NLS and we are going through withdrawal ;-).  My son had a backwards turn in reading comprehension.   At first, there was the stagnation.  Now, we seem to have shifted gears into reverse.  We were doing so well and progressing very nicely with comprehension for the last two years with NLS.  Now, he is losing those skills and regressing.  It is similar to how the brain dumps information over a long summer break.  Well, that is what’s happening to my son.  It’s as if he is on a summer break as we use this other science program. 

Mind you, we are using a reading curriculum—the same reading curriculum that we used over the last couple of years so this variable is constant.  I truly believe his decrease in skill is because of our hiatus from NLS.  My sweet child is now frustrated with reading and narrations and all of those yucky feelings we had in our days prior to NLS have returned.  Oh, what is a mother to do??  This question has left me puzzled for months and my dear child has asked when are we going to return to Mrs. Nancy (as he calls NLS).  So you know what, the answer is we are going to return to NLS!  There is simply no question about it.  I want to see the joy return to my son’s eyes as he narrates and comprehends with success.  I want him to feel the butterflies in his tummy as he identifies the main ideas in the student booklets.  I *need* my son to feel confident in his academic abilities, so we *need* to return to Nancy Larson Science.  So to answer my own question “What is a mother to do,†it’s simple.  NLS Level 4, here we come!!! 

Thanks NLS for helping my once struggling reader to gain confidence and skill in reading and comprehension, including a fantastic and superior understanding of science vocabulary and concepts. He burst through the barriers that once kept him behind in reading and we look forward to vaporizing more of these obstructions. We are amazed by NLS' methodology, focus, scope, and sequence. Yes, NLS is THAT good!

• 6 months later...
Guest blessed3

We are using Nancy Larson Science 2 for 2nd & 4th grade.  We have been using Apologia for a couple years, but had trouble finding time to "do science" and our experiments had a 50% chance of actually working.  Though I still love Apologia, I believe it is best suited for older elementary children.  I love how each lesson is scripted and the kids are getting the same science vocabulary throughout the lessons.  This takes no mental effort whatsoever and the lessons progress in increments.  An example would be for physics they start of with the basics then gradually build on top of that.  They have a review that day after each lesson.  The reviews are usually quick and the kids have fun remembering what they have learned.  I like the idea of the kids learning "experiences" rather than doing experiments that don't work half the time.  They are retaining what they learn and love it!  

I hesitated buying this program due to the price but read so many reviews about it being worth it and I have to say that is true.  The program comes with all the necessary items (beside various household items that are easy to gather), scripted teacher book, student workbooks and student review pages that nicely tear out of the book.  I pull out one review page for each child and have it ready for them when I call them for science.  This way they aren't overwhelmed with a big notebook with lots of pages.  I put their work away in their binders when we are finished.  We now do science 4 days a week, whereas in the past we would focus on science during vacation days or during their school vacation.

My 2nd dd has always been bored with science and when asked to narrate she would answer with "how should I know or this is boring".  Now, when the kids are asked questions, they are practically bursting at the seams to answer and have begun raising their hands!  They love being able to use highlighters to highlight the areas with bold-faced print along with their sentence.  They are learning to highlight the important area to remember in each lesson and they are so eager to use their highlighters!  When they do their review questions, they are allowed to look back at their lesson if needed and are encouraged to look at their highlighted sentences.

I feel fortunate to have found Nancy Larson Science and wish I would have known about this treasure years ago.  I plan to use Science K when my dd is in Kindergarten.  

I have to agree. I wasn't sure I would like a fully scripted program but I do. It's been the one science program that gets done. My kids retain everything. It's exciting to see them use their science vocabularies.

I just wrote a blog post about NL science and it goes live tomorrow. I'll have to remember to come here and link it up.