Menu

Here is how I am teaching the material in WWS1-3. What are you doing?

...  Do people acutally write like that IRL? I mean, professional nonfiction writers?  I'm curious.  ...

I guess I was thinking that SWB herself would, but I am not actually sure that is true.  Maybe she could tell us!

My thought had been to go back to WWS at some point toward High School with the idea that it might help with how to write a paper in college when one has no particular interest in doing it, but just has to get it done.

• Like 1

WWS to me already gives the "Ideas" or what to write about part, what if already complete WWS assignments were gone over again a played with in a Traits or Warriner type way as to things like "Voice"?

I think you are right about this - in WWS1, the ideas are given, so you aren't really doing Invention, the main focus is on Arrangement.  There is a tiny bit on Elocution, theoretically, (the copia exercises) but I didn't find that transferred very well, it isn't done super systematically and intensively.  I think something like Killgallon that focuses intensively on Elocution would be a good complement to WWS's focus on Arrangement.  And if I understand correctly, the upper levels will have more on Invention.

So, yes, you could make Elocution the focus of your revision lessons with dc after they complete a WWS assignment as written.

I just thought I would give an example of how studying the masters has helped my son's *thinking* and thus his writing. 

After re-reading Dickens' descriptive paragraphs about Scrooge (as described in a pp, where he is 'cold') my son emulated this with the planning of a piece of nonfiction.  For week 2 of WWS3, he is to write a 3 paragraph description of a person with 1 paragraph being chronological narrative and 2 paragraphs of description.  Now stop and think about what *you* would do..... 

I was really surprised at what ds decided.  He wanted to write about Robert Goddard, a rocket scientist, and he did a couple of hours of reading today while he was a bit under the weather.  I came in to talk to him, and reminded him that he was doing a description, not a summary of this guy's life.  Oh, he knew.  He said "I decided to use the theme of secrecy.  He was a very secret man.  I am going to do my narrative paragraph on what events in his life led him to be secretive, and then do 1 descriptive paragraph on his secretive behaviours and the other descriptive paragraph on how people view him and his secrecy."  Well, as far as I am concerned.... WOW.  He used our study of Scrooge to think about linking all the paragraphs to a single purpose. 

At 13 my mathy kid is thinking strategically about writing.  This is what I believe that SWB is after.

This sounds like a perfect assignment for Lily right now, as she is starting to do similar projects during her free time.  We went through WWS2 yesterday. I think she would be fine skipping it and starting WWS3. I have considered being part of the beta testing. Is it too late? Do you need to submit completed assignments or just give feedback?

ETA: We decided not to skip WWS 2.   For us, using WWS 1 and many other resources over a two year period,  then moving into WWS 2 has worked well.  She has enjoyed WWS 2, so I'm glad we didn't skip it.

Ok, this might be a little bit of a twist on "how to teach WWS" but it's what I woke up at 3 am thinking about, so indulge me:

For all of you out there (there must be others, right?  ;) ) who like the idea of using WWS because you agree with the end goal, you see value in its structured approach and its contents, and you figure that SWB must know something about writing that you don't  ;), but you are nervous about using it because your student is very whole-to-parts, or a "natural" writer, or a very verbal/language kid, (the kind that SWB has said will "hate" WWS):  here is how you might consider teaching WWS.

Skip WWS 1.  I know, it sounds weird, but hear me out:  

First, teach the big picture.  Teach the whole.  Do it yourself, or use resources that help.  

Teach the student that the job of every piece of writing, the problem all writers have to solve, all fall into the categories of Invention, Arrangement, and Elocution (LTOW is very good at articulating this in the intro lessons).   

Teach the student the 6 traits:  Ideas, Arrangement, Voice, Word Choice, Sentence Fluency, Conventions.  Ruth Culham's books are good for this.

Teach the student the rudiments of narrative, expository and descriptive writing, giving them models from literature to follow in creating their own assignments.  Warriner's Composition: Models & Exercises is good for this.

Now, you've got a student who understands the fundamental job of writing, what the parts are that make up good writing, how to find ideas, arrange them, and make them sound good, and who has applied this in a very basic way to narrative, expository and descriptive writing.  You've also got a student that is a little bit older and more mature.  

Now, you can jump into WWS2.  From what I can gather (I just have the sample & TOC at this point), WWS2 has the student doing more original writing, rather than just writing from given notes (so they are using Invention themselves), and it introduces more depth and nuances about narrative, expository, and descriptive form and structure, and how to put those pieces together to create finished compositions (so they learn more about Arrangement).  And in general, early reports suggest it is less complicated and easier to use.  Perhaps a better fit for a wider range of writers . . . . 

I don't know, it's just an idea in the spirit of this thread, which is how to adapt the use of WWS to work for your student (I think).

We're embarked on the first phase of this plan now.  Will we use WWS2 when we get there?  I don't know yet, honestly, but I can see being ready for it, and being able to get much more from it, once we have a framework in place so that we understand how each new piece we are learning fits into the big picture.  

Anyway, these were my latest 3 am thoughts . . .  :o

• Like 7

Ok, this might be a little bit of a twist on "how to teach WWS" but it's what I woke up at 3 am thinking about, so indulge me:

For all of you out there (there must be others, right?  ;) ) who like the idea of using WWS because you agree with the end goal, you see value in its structured approach and its contents, and you figure that SWB must know something about writing that you don't  ;), but you are nervous about using it because your student is very whole-to-parts, or a "natural" writer, or a very verbal/language kid, (the kind that SWB has said will "hate" WWS):  here is how you might consider teaching WWS.

Skip WWS 1.  I know, it sounds weird, but hear me out:  

First, teach the big picture.  Teach the whole.  Do it yourself, or use resources that help.  

Teach the student that the job of every piece of writing, the problem all writers have to solve, all fall into the categories of Invention, Arrangement, and Elocution (LTOW is very good at articulating this in the intro lessons).   

Teach the student the 6 traits:  Ideas, Arrangement, Voice, Word Choice, Sentence Fluency, Conventions.  Ruth Culham's books are good for this.

Teach the student the rudiments of narrative, expository and descriptive writing, giving them models from literature to follow in creating their own assignments.  Warriner's Composition: Models & Exercises is good for this.

Now, you've got a student who understands the fundamental job of writing, what the parts are that make up good writing, how to find ideas, arrange them, and make them sound good, and who has applied this in a very basic way to narrative, expository and descriptive writing.  You've also got a student that is a little bit older and more mature.  

Now, you can jump into WWS2.  From what I can gather (I just have the sample & TOC at this point), WWS2 has the student doing more original writing, rather than just writing from given notes (so they are using Invention themselves), and it introduces more depth and nuances about narrative, expository, and descriptive form and structure, and how to put those pieces together to create finished compositions (so they learn more about Arrangement).  And in general, early reports suggest it is less complicated and easier to use.  Perhaps a better fit for a wider range of writers . . . . 

I don't know, it's just an idea in the spirit of this thread, which is how to adapt the use of WWS to work for your student (I think).

We're embarked on the first phase of this plan now.  Will we use WWS2 when we get there?  I don't know yet, honestly, but I can see being ready for it, and being able to get much more from it, once we have a framework in place so that we understand how each new piece we are learning fits into the big picture.  

Anyway, these were my latest 3 am thoughts . . .  :o

Rose, you could have knocked me down with a feather. How did you know? :D This was actually my plan this year, only that you have fleshed it out better than I have (and huge thanks to you for that!). I keep putting it off because I tell myself we need to do WWS1 first. But kiddo dislikes WWS1. I have WWS2. I have not started because I keep vacillating between WWS2, Maxwell's School Comp and our own brew of spontaneous writing assignments. We have launched into a few spontaneous ones and I see kiddo enjoying these much more than using a curriculum. But he needs a lot of help and structure too. Off to think about and digest your post a little more.

• Like 1

Rose, I agree.  This is basically what I have decided to do with my younger. WWS1 covers only narrative and description paragraphs which is done really well in other sources.  It is starting in WWS2 where definition paragraphs are studied, where WWS really stands out.  Yesterday, I went through all of WWS1 and pulled out the good example passaged and important pages in the student vs teacher's manual that I must make sure to go over, and I have done the same for WWS2 since we will be reviewing the first half and then compacting/skipping the second half with my older. This process took f.o.r.e.v.e.r, but boy was it helpful for my own understanding.  And I think it will be absolutely great for my kids.

When I finish typing it all up this afternoon, I will post it!

Great minds think alike!

• Like 2

I've decided that there is one major change I will make for both my boys.  SWB has the students outline an example of the topos before ever having studied it.  This 'discovery' method did not work for my older, so I plan to show them the topos chart and discuss it with them before the day 1 outlining exercise each week. I think this will make a huge difference to their retention. 

For WWS1 I have indicated the examples that I like the best for each topos. Each topos is covered over 2 weeks, so I tried to pick the more complicated example (I put a few extra examples in the narrative section in parentheses.) WWS1's topos are very straight forward and I feel very comfortable just using the teacher's manual's topos summaries and working through the examples on our own (meaning without SWB's explanations), so I have just indicated the example passages.  This is NOT true for WWS2 (the topoi become much more complicated), so in my effort to summarize and compact level 2, I have included a lot of pages with explanations in addition to just the passages.  I plan for my younger to do WWS2 basically as written, so the second list is only for my older boy.  In the second list, I have pulled examples of each topos from WWS2 except when I could not find any, then I refer back to WWS1.  I think that it will be a good idea to review all topoi each year, so these lists will come in handy for my younger.  I am also considering photocopying the best example of each topos, labelling it, and putting it in a clearfile for easy reference with the topos chart opposite. It would take a couple of hours for each level, but  think it would be worth it.

WWS1

Chronological narrative

Past event: p.49-51 (p.45-6)

Scientific discovery: p.65 (p. 62-64)

Description

Place: point of view, p.115-6, 118 (metaphors in these passages noted on p 126-7)

Scientific points of view p.168-9, 181-184

Person: p.223-5, metaphor p.237

Combining Topoi

Chr. narrative of scientific discovery with scientific description p.198-201

Biographical sketch (description with chr. narrative) p. 253-4

Sequence

Natural process p. 279-83

Compacting WWS2  (I still need to check over all the page numbers, but getting tired..... will do it tomorrow)

I have the explanation first, with the example passages in parentheses

S1, S2 = student text WWS1 or WWS2

I1, I2 = instructor's manual WWS1 or WWS2

Narrative (WWS2 weeks 2, 4)

Scientific Discovery S1p.65

Chronological narrative of past event (S2p.25, easy)

Sequence

History S2p.30 (refer to p.27-28); I2p.65

Natural Process S1p.281-2(refer to p. 279-80, 282)

combination of narrative and sequence S2p.63-65 (read); study T2p.62-65

Explanation by comparison (WWS2 weeks 5,6,7)

S2p.79-80step 2 (refer to p.75-76, 78)

Lit analysis T2p.274

Introductions and Conclusions S2p.94step 2 (refer p. 91-93)

Combination of comparison and intro/conc S2p.110step 2(refer p. 109-110)

Description (WWS2 weeks 12, 13)

Person S1p.223-4

Place: point of view and metaphor S1p.116 (refer 115, 118)

Scientific S2p.155-157

Explanation by Definition – scientific (WWS2 weeks 12, 13, 14)

Essential and accidental S2p.159step 3, p161 step 1

Function S2p.173step 2 using p.171-3 step 1

Genus S2p.187step 2 using 161 step 1

S2p.193-5 step1

T2p.240-1 step 3

Explanation by Definition – historical (WWS2 weeks 19, 20)

Unique properties S2p.241-7 all of day 1

Function S2p.253-6 all of day 4

Genus S2p. 257-60 all of day 1

Not sure yet if I will compact these or just work through them. My older is not very good at writing about history.

Explanation by Temporal Comparison – historical (WWS2 weeks 26-28)

Week 23 mimicking classic essays

Week 31, 32 combining Topoi

Figurative language (We will definitely be working through this as my son is a very black and white thinker)

S2p.87-90 Simile

S2p.103-107 metaphor

S2p.283-5 metaphor

S2p.308 figurative language

• Like 5

Ruth, this is nice.  It also clarifies what I was thinking about the skip WWS1 thing - you have identified WWS1's strengths, which is applying narrative and descriptive writing specifically to writing about history and science.  These are things I'd add to Warriner's coverage of narrative and descriptive writing for my 2nd dd, since I own the program anyway.

Wait a minute. I'm using WWS1 for one of my 6th grade twins who is a natural writer. She loves it, but we have to do it together. I figured that out a bit too late, but we are hanging in there. 

Her twin struggles a bit with writing, so I am not doing WWS with her this year and instead writing during history and science, writing letters, etc. She did WWE so we continue to use that approach, plus we use the Activity Guide for SOTW 4 which includes outlining and writing from an outline. She just wasn't ready for WWS1 (well, when I looked at it as an independent program...).

SO. Are you saying that, in theory, I might be able to have them both do WWS2 next year, with me, all together??? As in, WWS1 isn't necessarily a prerequisite for WWS2? 

Please tell me it's so.

Wait a minute. I'm using WWS1 for one of my 6th grade twins who is a natural writer. She loves it, but we have to do it together. I figured that out a bit too late, but we are hanging in there. 

Her twin struggles a bit with writing, so I am not doing WWS with her this year and instead writing during history and science, writing letters, etc. She did WWE so we continue to use that approach, plus we use the Activity Guide for SOTW 4 which includes outlining and writing from an outline. She just wasn't ready for WWS1 (well, when I looked at it as an independent program...).

SO. Are you saying that, in theory, I might be able to have them both do WWS2 next year, with me, all together??? As in, WWS1 isn't necessarily a prerequisite for WWS2? 

Please tell me it's so.

I think it really depends on the student.  WWS1 is the most pieces to whole of the 3 levels, and thus I think the most difficult for a whole to parts writer to use.  *Parts* of WWS1 are a prerequisite for WWS2.  As I see it, this is what student would need to be able to go into WWS2 if she is already writing and outlining across the curriculum:

1) Studying the different topoi listed above using those pages and trying to incorporate some of the ideas into her own writing

And with any source you want, she would need to have achieved these skills:

2) Documenting references

3) Taking notes

4) Writing 3 paragraph papers, and one longer 2 page typed paper with references

The copia is reviewed in WWS2, and not very difficult in WWS1, so for some students I think it could be skipped.  As for the literary analysis, I definitely think that you and your student could read the short stories and discuss them but not write about them.  Or just try to write oral compositions together.

The main thing I think that WWS1 did for my student was to get him writing *more.* Your student needs to be able to read, plan, outline, draft, revise, reference a 1 page typed paper in 2 days (3 days max).  This is pretty fast for my kid!

• Like 3

I think it really depends on the student.  WWS1 is the most pieces to whole of the 3 levels, and thus I think the most difficult for a whole to parts writer to use.  *Parts* of WWS1 are a prerequisite for WWS2.  As I see it, this is what student would need to be able to go into WWS2 if she is already writing and outlining across the curriculum:

1) Studying the different topoi listed above using those pages and trying to incorporate some of the ideas into her own writing

And with any source you want, she would need to have achieved these skills:

2) Documenting references

3) Taking notes

4) Writing 3 paragraph papers, and one longer 2 page typed paper with references

The copia is reviewed in WWS2, and not very difficult in WWS1, so for some students I think it could be skipped.  As for the literary analysis, I definitely think that you and your student could read the short stories and discuss them but not write about them.  Or just try to write oral compositions together.

The main thing I think that WWS1 did for my student was to get him writing *more.* Your student needs to be able to read, plan, outline, draft, revise, reference a 1 page typed paper in 2 days (3 days max).  This is pretty fast for my kid!

Hmm, ok. Thanks! We'll see how this year goes. 

Yes, I think the point is not that you shouldn't use WWS1 if it works for your student . . . it's more for those of us who want the content of WWS as a whole, but who have struggled with WWS1's extreme parts-to-whole style being a bad fit for our big-picture kids.

Rose, what a lovely summary of the entire thread!  I love the content of WWS, but I need to modify it for my big-picture children, especially level 1.

I also think that level 1 can be replaced with other resources, but I have never seen the content in levels 2 and 3 in any other curriculum. 

• Like 2

But she did not choose specific topoi and put them together.  I've never written like that either.  Do people acutally write like that IRL? I mean, professional nonfiction writers?  I'm curious.  Because I wonder, is how we do it (more intuitively, more just put in what you need to get the job done) ok, or are we missing something by not explicitly focusing on the pieces and that we are putting pieces together?

I see learning the topoi, picking topoi to use for a composition, and putting topoi together into a composition after doing all the reading and notetaking, as thinking practice.  Learning some tools to use to think your way through reading and research, so that you can write an interesting compostion about your subject.  To me, it's like learning math concepts and tools, and grammar concepts and tools.  It can make a composition a LOT more creative, too.

I use WWS pretty much as written.  Parts of it are independent and parts are teacher-intensive.  I pretty much just follow The Brain of the instructor guide and direct my kids back to following instructions.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Well, I have been going over the WWS scope and sequence, and condensing it.  I plan to show both boys what the whole plan is and tick off as they learn things.  I think I will make little cutouts of the parts of this outline and stick them down with bluetack (removable gummy stuff).  Then my kids can write up their 'how-to' notes every week on separate card and shift the outline cuttouts around to add their notes under the appropriate category.  My younger would love his board to be colorful with big bubbles and strings, my older will want it in linear outline form.  Might be interesting to have the 2 compare how the other perceives of his writing knowledge.  I think that this will keep the big picture in mind and also make clear the goals and where they are headed.

Narration

chronologically

by significance

Description

spatial

sequence

Explanation

definition

essence

genus division

function

comparison

essence

genus division

function

degree

in time

cause and effect/circumstance

what proceeds, what follows

consequences

causes

looks like in general:

level 1: chronological narration and description

level 2: explanation by definition and comparison

level 3: narration by significance, cause and effect/circumstance

level 4: not really sure, but looks like an integration of all of it with more complexity

But there is a lot of practice and augmentation across the levels in all topics.

The other large areas of learning that don't fit into the above list are:

Research

note taking

references

Literary analysis

prose

poetry

these things appear in all three levels.

Damn, now I have to get this one also  :laugh:

• Like 1

This past year, DD started WWS I in December, so we are still going to be plugging away at that until sometime in fall.  We use the book as SWB directs (because I'm not adept enough at teaching writing to alter anything).  It is manageable for DD that way.  I hope WWS 2 goes as smoothly.

I have used WWS1 and 1/2 of WWS2 with my older, and we are about to beta test WWS3 (while concurrently finishing WWS2!) and begin WWS1 with my younger.

The biggest thing I have found so far is that as much as I wish I could just hand a writing program over to my children and then just help when needed, that this approach will not work for us.  I must be fully engaged in their learning.  I think that  for many kids the art of writing needs a coach in addition to good materials. So I want to talk about how we will actually teach this curriculum and make it work for our kids.

So here are some of the things that I will be doing this year:

1. Review.  There is a lot of very specific instruction in WWS, and in the past, we have just copied down the topos in a notebook and not really used it again.  This year, I will instead do 3 things:  (1) have them write it down in their own words and not copy, (2) put it on "writing walls" -- large sheets of cardboard that can be set around them during writing time so everything is visible at once (this is instead of a notebook), (3) verbally review and have them put the details and big picture to memory. 

2. Find examples in the material they are reading for other subjects.  I think that WWS needs to be integrated into all of our subjects, so I am going to ask them to find examples of different topos and show me. 

3. Plan ahead.  Sometimes the topics that SWB has chosen are not known to my kids (oops), and I would like for them to read up on these topics over the week prior to the assignment. So I will be reading ahead and having them go to the library the week prior.

4. Constantly remind them about how the topos fit into the big picture.  This is where National Geographic will also come in handy.  Description, narration, persuasion, expository paragraphs all mixed together to make a cohesive whole.  We will be looking closely at these articles to keep the big picture clearly in mind as we work through the details.

5. With my younger, we will do WWS1 at half speed.  I think that this program is a huge jump from elementary writing, and I want him to have a full week to do each week's writing assignment (not just 1 day).  We will expand 'day 4' over five days (so 2 four-day weeks for each WWS 'week'). 

I would like to see how others are making WWS work for their children.

Ruth in NZ

This past year, DD started WWS I in December, so we are still going to be plugging away at that until sometime in fall.  We use the book as SWB directs (because I'm not adept enough at teaching writing to alter anything).  It is manageable for DD that way.  I hope WWS 2 goes as smoothly.

If WWS 1 is going well with that approach, I would imagine WWS 2 will as well. We also use the books as SWB directs. I do spend a significant amount of time going over my daughter's completed work with her, but otherwise she just works through the books.

• 9 months later...

Bumping an awesome thread.

Question: D12 public school kiddo is going to start WWS 1  WTMA Delayed course in the fall/spring as she enters 7th grade.

I was wondering what could she read this summer to help ease the transition into the literature that she has never been exposed to (in public school or home).

I really want WWS1 to be a success and don't want to over burden her since this will be an "afterschool" class.

Question: D12 public school kiddo is going to start WWS 1  WTMA Delayed course in the fall/spring as she enters 7th grade.

I was wondering what could she read this summer to help ease the transition into the literature that she has never been exposed to (in public school or home).

I really want WWS1 to be a success and don't want to over burden her since this will be an "afterschool" class.

Do you have WWS? I don't know if you have to buy it for the class or not.  If you have it, I'd suggest looking through it and taking a look at the kind of passages it contains.  You could assign your student some nonfiction reading over the summer - articles in magazines on subjects she enjoys would be good - and then discuss them with her after she reads them.  This would help her start to get a feel for reading nonfiction passages and picking out main ideas. I'm talking about grown-up magazines, like National Geographic or Scientific American or something, not kid's mags.  I'd also have her read some "classic" short stories - O. Henry, Maupassant, Poe, Wells, etc., but there are lots of good anthologies out there for middle grade or high school students, and tons of stories available on line - and discuss them with you.  No writing, just reading things that will stretch her, and discussing them with you - what are the main ideas? Can she orally summarize them well?  

I think the practice of reading and discussing passages that are challenging for her, without writing, is the best way to prep her for WWS.  Remember, SWB always says don't have a kid do two new hard things at the same time.  The writing will be challenging,  the reading will be challenging.  If you can have her practice the reading skills in advance, that will seem a lot less challenging, and she'll be able to focus on the writing once the class starts.

• Like 1

Rose had some great ideas. You could also take a look at the McGuffey's Fourth Reader. (free here) Because it is from the 1800's it has the complex sentence structure and archaic language that our kids often aren't used to. It has a mix of fiction, non-fiction, and poetry. Each selection has vocabulary words defined and exercises designed to pull out the main idea. We did a bit of picking and choosing, but went through the whole book before starting WWS 1. I felt McGuffey was very helpful to my dd when it came to reading/comprehending the selections in WWS.

• Like 3

With my younger, we will do WWS1 at half speed.  I think that this program is a huge jump from elementary writing, and I want him to have a full week to do each week's writing assignment (not just 1 day).  We will expand 'day 4' over five days (so 2 four-day weeks for each WWS 'week').

This is what we plan to do with our 5th grader this upcoming school year -- just move along at about this pace. If we need to weave in a WWE 4 lesson every so often to smooth things out for her, we'll do that.

I copied all your notes into a Word doc for my WWS 1 teacher binder. Thanks!