Menu

Crochet project not turning out well... when do I give up?

tabinfl

Some time ago, I started crocheting a skirt for my girls. The directions were a little difficult for me to follow, and it became apparent that Something Is Not Right. I put the whole thing away for a while thinking that maybe I'd just confused myself beyond hope of seeing it straight.

Taking it out again a few months later, it's even more obvious that I fouled it up in a big way somewhere along the line. I can't even tell exactly where it went wrong (but I suspect way back at the beginning), or how I'd go back and fix it if I were to frog it.

So my question: Do I ( a ) cut my losses, cut the yarn, and hope I over-bought (as I usually do) enough to finish if I start over; ( b ) frog until I see an obvious mistake, even if that means way back to the beginning; or ( c ) continue working on it, looking for a way to make it right later on?

I'm leaning toward ( a ) because then I can take the work I've done so far and perhaps incorporate it into some other project, use it as trim on a piece of clothing, or make a doll outfit from it. Just thinking about ( b ) makes me cry -- I've ripped out rows and rows before, but never 50+ of them!

I can't even tell exactly where it went wrong (but I suspect way back at the beginning), or how I'd go back and fix it if I were to frog it.

I think I'd frog it and start over.  If you choose (a) you'll still be starting over anyway. And by frogging the whole thing first you won't have that bit of project leftover reminding you why it's there. :laugh:

Just a thought, look to see if the pattern has had an errors reported. I tried to make a tea cozy once (I am not a beginner knitter) and I could not get the pattern right. 3 x I tried and frogged. Problem was a simple error in the pattern.

As for what to do with the skirt, frog it. The idea of cutting the yarn is not the best unless it is a tangled mess. If you plan on trying the skirt again you might need the yarn to complete the skirt. You can always ask you girls to help frog....for some reason my dd gets a great joy out of frogging my problem projects.

I'm so sorry!! I hate that. I'd probably start over with the other yarn, and only frog the original if you needed to claim back some of that yarn (in other words, don't throw it away).  Blech. 

Actually, that's not true.  I'd likely declare personal hatred toward the project, frog, rewind the yarn, decide on something ELSE I could do with it that would be small and provide instant gratification, do THAT, and then decide that it was a better project for the yarn from the beginning. :lol:   But I tend to take misbehaving yarn projects personally. Send me a pic on FB!

I'm so sorry!! I hate that. I'd probably start over with the other yarn, and only frog the original if you needed to claim back some of that yarn (in other words, don't throw it away).  Blech. 

Actually, that's not true.  I'd likely declare personal hatred toward the project, frog, rewind the yarn, decide on something ELSE I could do with it that would be small and provide instant gratification, do THAT, and then decide that it was a better project for the yarn from the beginning. :lol:   But I tend to take misbehaving yarn projects personally. Send me a pic on FB!

I totally agree.  I don't have the patience most of the time to try a really hard pattern (that is probably messed up) more than once.  I would be looking for an alternative pattern after I frogged the yarn.

I'd frog it too. Maybe check on Ravelry to see if it's on there - sometimes people will leave comments about errors in a pattern.  

Sorry you're dealing with this.  It is so frustrating to do that much work and discover it isn't going to turn out.  On the bright side, you may have an excuse to buy more yarn now :)

I feel your pain, I've just ripped out a cowl pattern 5 times in the last week when I finally gave up.

I guess, for me, it depends on how determined I am to do the project.  My heart was set on doing a pair of cabled mittens for my dd a couple Christmases ago and they were really, really hard, I had never cabled, had never used the Magic Loop technique and I must have ripped them out a million times but they were so beautiful I persevered and it was completely worth it.