Menu

Poop and farts....update in post 1

Mommyfaithe

Ok. I give up. I am surrounded by boys and girls who just adore poop and farts! I am so sick of it I am pulling out the big guns..... Ready to kill their love of the subject by requiring it as a unit study.

So, are there an unit studies on poop and farts? Any ideas you wish to share?

My first assignment was a cluster diagram on poop. 3 different kinds.... 3 details. Tomorrow they write the paragraphs! You should see their faces! Wait until they get heir spelling list!

I love homeschooling!

UPDATE: It worked!! My youngest has not written poop on one of his books in 4 days!! Now, if I can get him to stop drawing fire breathing dragons.....hmmmmmm....I think I may be on to something here!

There used to be a video on netflix called Doggy Poo. Hilarious cartoon about dawgay (doggy with southern drawl) poo

Lol!  Can't believe I just spent the last 1/2 hour watching a film about Doggy Poo.  What would I do without the WTM boards? ;)

We just had an article in this morning's paper about  the "poop pill" for those with recurrent c-diff infections. They were using fecal transplants, but now you can get your feces in pill form. Just don't study this before lunch :tongue_smilie: .

They had an article in Macleans about this. It is also mentioned in the below book. 

Your 10th grader might enjoy Gulp: Adventures on the Alimentary Canal by Mary Roach. *You* might not enjoy hearing some of the things she'll gleefully tell you. At dinner.  :tongue_smilie:

This was a really interesting book! But if you want one more centered on Human waste this books is wonderful: 

http://www.amazon.com/Big-Necessity-Unmentionable-World-Matters/dp/0805090835/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1380907207&sr=1-1&keywords=Human+Waste

There is a mythbusters episode about farts. Don't know which one, but Netflix streaming has about all of the episodes.

They proved that a man in a closed room could not fart himself to death. 

They have this book: 

http://www.amazon.com/Whats-Your-Poo-Telling-You/dp/0811857824/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1380906836&sr=8-2&keywords=All+about+poop (But I wouldn't give it to a child since it talks about that for some people going poop can trigger an organism)

One fun thing you can do for your kids is print out this scale:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_bristol_scale#Bristol_Stool_Chart

For a spin away from digestion you could look at animal poop as fertilizer, why it is helpful, what remains after digestion. You can also look into why we don't use human poop as a fertilizer (answer, you should not use poop from any animal which consumes meat.). You could examine a worm farm and the fact that, basically, what you are using from that is lots and lots of worm poop.

My sil sent my kids a copy of this story from Germany:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/081094457X/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1380936174&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX110_SY165

Though, it probably wouldn't help your cause much - my kids giggled like crazy the first time we ready it. They pulled it out of the box, and I said "oh, look! Auntie sent a book about a mole with poo on his head!" That alone sent them on a hysterical laughing fit!

I never thought about having the kids study up on the subject, but when they went through that phase of on command farting, I made a rule that whenever someone farted, they had to clean the toilet.  We had pretty clean toilets during that time!

Brilliant!  I see a very clean toilet in my future!  Lol!  

Actually, you can use composted human waste as fertilizer. Google "humanure handbook." The trick is composting. This is also true of omnivorous domesticated animals such as pigs and chickens. Proper composting kills disease bacteria.

this thread is great! I might do a unit on this as well.

when we were fixing up our bathroom I actually did look into a composting toilet, but dh said no because it needed electricity and he was worried about power outages. oh well. it was also really expensive. we do compost our dog's poop though, that's a fun poop-lab :)

We "made poop" last year - there is a homeschooling family that had a video online of what they did.  Spaghetti with sauce and soda crackers, some dishsoap as saliva, blender as stomach, green food coloring as bile, nylon pantyhose as the intestines, squeeze the water out, then squeeze it out one end - poop!  I did it with a bunch of middle-grade kids too and they were so disgusted it was awesome. :)

My (slightly radical farmer) cousin recommended a book to me a few years ago called "The Humanure Handbook".  It's about composting, ah, EVERYTHING and the author was really serious about it - lots of lab reports, etc.  My husband perfected his eye-roll over it.  :lol:

This reminds me of Walter the Farting Dog, I checked it out of our library about 5 years ago. We had just started homeschooling and DS was in first grade. I thought it would be great for a laugh, but he looked at me like my hair was on fire.

My fil showed up with that bookone morning...read it to my kids then left to read it to their cousins...the other set of grand kids! These boys NEVER grow up!

I'm glad the poop drawings have stopped but is there a reason drawing dragons is wrong? Doodling and drawing while thinking, listening, and talking is sometimes very beneficial for the learner in some cases. Maybe if you aren't wanting the drawings on his actual work to be turned in, you could provide scrap paper to doodle while working?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad the poop drawings have stopped but is there a reason drawing dragons is wrong? Doodling and drawing while thinking, listening, and talking is sometimes very beneficial for the learner in some cases. Maybe if you aren't wanting the drawings on his actual work to be turned in, you could provide scrap paper to doodle while working?

Nah, it is not the dragons that bug me....but, the pointy teeth and fire! LOL! Actually, I always have reams and reams of paper for kids to draw on. ( see my " ream method" of art lessons). What bugs me about the dragons is that it is his opinion of his school work....and I kinda agree. Also, I have repeatedly asked him to knock off the drawing on his school books and keep it to the paper or his sketch pad. I know the workbook method of schooling does NOT work for this kid. He is NOT your workbook kinda guy. BUT, until I figure out how to approach his education, he and I need to humor each other a bit. He needs to learn to do an assignment, and I need to figure out his quirks and how to make the best of his time with me. And that in itself is another LONG post for another day. :-).