Menu

I made THE baked oatmeal!

KungFuPanda

Does it make "bars"?  We often leave the house super early for one reason or another.  I wonder if I could use this instead of McDonalds for breakfast some of those mornings.  Like pull them out of the freezer the night before and give them to the kids in the morning?

I was wondering this too. I'd love something that we can grab and go.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about the one referenced here but the baked oatmeal I make does bake into bars.

http://www.lynnskitchenadventures.com/2009/02/baked-oatmeal.html

I use 1.5 recipe in a 9x13 pan, omit raisins, and use honey instead of sugar. I freeze leftovers and nuke for about 1.5 minutes to reheat. That site above also has a really good PB baked oatmeal.

Does it make "bars"?  We often leave the house super early for one reason or another.  I wonder if I could use this instead of McDonalds for breakfast some of those mornings.  Like pull them out of the freezer the night before and give them to the kids in the morning?

I've made baked oatmeal in a muffin tin before for easy on-the-go breakfasts, and it works really well. Just use the same recipe, divide among greased muffin cups, ad bake until firm and browned on top, about 20-25 min.

someone asked about the butter.  when we make this, we substitute 1/4 olive oil (the light kind) + an extra egg and put no butter in at all.  1/4 cup olive oil + 4 ounces of pureed fruit would work too.  this morning, we substituted 1.5 cups of pureed pumpkin + 1/2 cup water for the milk, and the extra 3 ounces of pumpkin in the can with the 1/4 cup olive oil instead of the butter. 

and then, because there was pumpkin, we added spices (pumpkin pie spice, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg....) and chopped pecans.

we just add dry ingredients to one bowl, wet to another, then combine. 

with two of us working in the kitchen, it was less than 10 minutes prep + 40 minutes in the oven.

and then i found a new webpage, where what she makes is oatmeal, many, many different ways.

http://www.theoatmealartist.com/

now we can do all sorts of new things :)

ann

Could I make this the night before and reheat in 15 minutes in the morning?  I don't have 45 minutes in the morning to get it baked.

We have a large cooking apple tree, so I need to get some apple sauce made for this recipe - it sounds good.

L

I make a pan that's just for me (family eats other things for breakfast) and I keep it in the fridge all week, taking out 1/8 of it each morning. I microwave that one slice for 30 seconds in the microwave. It's also good cold. The consistency is kind of like cake. I break it up a bit when I microwave it--haven't tried to eat it like a bar, but it might be possible. So you can definitely make it the night before--not sure how long oven re-heating would take.

I make a pan that's just for me (family eats other things for breakfast) and I keep it in the fridge all week, taking out 1/8 of it each morning. I microwave that one slice for 30 seconds in the microwave. It's also good cold. The consistency is kind of like cake. I break it up a bit when I microwave it--haven't tried to eat it like a bar, but it might be possible. So you can definitely make it the night before--not sure how long oven re-heating would take.

Thanks - I'll give it a try.

L

I made this oatmeal on Monday and my four kids gobbled up an entire 9x13 pan in under 10 minutes.  I made it again today and they did the same thing.  The first time I added bananas after it was out of the oven and the second time I added frozen blueberries just before baking.  It turned out excellent both times.

I don't mind the butter in the recipe at all, but I would like to cut down on the sugar a little.  How much can I decrease the sugar before losing too much taste/texture?

Has anyone tried substituting the sugar for any other sweeteners like honey or maple syrup?

This may have been asked, if so I apologize.  Has anyone mixed this up the night before and then baked it the next morning?  I am so not a morning person, but I can do this the night before and with my convection oven it would bake quickly.

This may have been asked, if so I apologize. Has anyone mixed this up the night before and then baked it the next morning? I am so not a morning person, but I can do this the night before and with my convection oven it would bake quickly.

I'm new to this recipe, but my suggestion would be to add all the dry ingredients with butter in a bowl then add all the wet ingredients into a second bowl and refrigerate over night. Then in am just do a quick mix, pour, bake. The reason I suggest adding butter to dry is because you cut it into the dry and it's the most "labor intensive" part of the recipe. HTH.

This is yummy! Much better than another recipe I tried.

I was short on butter and sugar so subbed pumpkin butter from Trader Joes for 1/2 of each. Delicious! I added chopped walnuts too.

Next time I may soak the oats overnight first, then mix it up and bake it. May try pumpkin puree too. 

Oh dear! I can't be making this very often. I absolutely could not stop eating it till it was gone! My girls both loved it, thankfully, or I would have eaten the whole pan! Dh didn't like it, but he is picky like that, and doesn't like too many sweets anyway.

• 1 year later...

This may have been asked, if so I apologize.  Has anyone mixed this up the night before and then baked it the next morning?  I am so not a morning person, but I can do this the night before and with my convection oven it would bake quickly.

I am not a morning person either and that is the reason I never make elaborate breakfasts. If I can mix this up and put it in the baking pan the night before, and I could just pop it into the oven in the morning, then, it would great. Has anyone tried that with this recipe?

I am not a morning person either and that is the reason I never make elaborate breakfasts. If I can mix this up and put it in the baking pan the night before, and I could just pop it into the oven in the morning, then, it would great. Has anyone tried that with this recipe?

My recipe is similar, only I use maple syrup, and it does just fine sitting overnight before baking.

I often bake it the night before and just reheat it in squares the next morning.

I'd like this recipe or method, please. :)

Here you go...

2 cups oats soaked in 1 cup yogurt overnight (the acid in the yogurt breaks down the phytic acid in the oats). Let it sit out on the counter covered.

In the morning preheat the oven to 350. In a bowl mix ::

2 eggs

1/2 cup melted CO or butter

1/2-1/3 cup honey/maple syrup

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp bp

1 tsp cinnamon + ginger

1/4 tsp cloves

1/2 cup coconut

optional :: blueberries, pecans/walnut, mashed bananas apples, about I cup of any of these except the nuts, 1/2 cup for those. You could soak the nuts overnight in warm water prior to adding.

Pour into a med. pyrex baking dish.     Bake for 45 minutes

The yogurt gives this a tangy taste and when combined with mashed bananas is delicious.

Yep, Mrs. Mungo's baked oatmeal. I'm in the club now :-) I needed an easy, yummy, but cheap dish for a crowd and this was perfect. I made one tray following the recipe exactly and another with puréed bananas and some almonds added. Three people have requested the recipe.

Here it is again, because it would be mean to talk about it and not share :-). I didn't even test it first. I just made two trays this morning and let it bake while I got ready for co-op. I've already decided that the next tray will get some apples and walnuts! Maybe pumpkin and spices!

THANKS Mrs. Mungo!!!

------------------------------------

Copied from another thread. Mrs Mungo speaking here:

Here is my baked oatmeal recipe:

3 cups oatmeal

3/4 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup butter

2 eggs

2 cups milk

1 teaspoon vanilla

2 teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoon salt

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Mix all ingredients together (I soften the butter and cut it into the dry ingredients before mixing in the wet ingredients) and pour into 13 x 9 inch buttered pan.

Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes.

I add chopped almonds and blueberries and/or bananas after it's finished cooking.

Eta: You can add an extra egg or two, if you are looking to up the calories and/or protein. It won't change the texture or anything.

Edited by Mrs Mungo, 27 July 2012 - 10:37 AM.

I made it just like the recipe except I used quinoa instead of oatmeal, and Splenda, coconut oil, EggBeaters and chocolate soy milk. And I only had peppermint extract.

It just wasn't what I expected. And it stuck to the crockpot.

Did you leave out a step?

:confused:

This is a joke...the recipe is delicious as written...

I made it just like the recipe except I used quinoa instead of oatmeal, and Splenda, coconut oil, EggBeaters and chocolate soy milk. And I only had peppermint extract.

To the moon, Alice!

How sweet does it turn out?  I usually put in about 2/3rds of the sugar that most recipes ask for, as otherwise I find them too sweet.  Is this sweet like a cookie or sweet like no-sugar muesli?

IT's sweeter than muesli, but not quite as sweet as an oatmeal cookie. It easy to adjust the sugar. I use sugar because I have to stuff as many calories into my kids as I can, lol.

:p LOL

Ohhh, lose the splenda (check out some articles on it) and use half the brown sugar and then a spritz of real maple syrup. Also use real eggs (if you don't want yolks, use 3 egg whites). If you don't like cow milk you could try goat milk.

Ohhh, lose the splenda (check out some articles on it) and use half the brown sugar and then a spritz of real maple syrup. Also use real eggs (if you don't want yolks, use 3 egg whites). If you don't like cow milk you could try goat milk.

Do you have the WW points for that?

(Liz, I'm joking...there is a "thing" on the Internet (not necessarily here) that happens when people post recipes. Sometimes people change all the major components for a recipe and then complain that it didn't turn out well. Or they'll ask the recipe poster how to make white flour cinnamon rolls gluten free. Or they'll ask for metric measurements...it goes on and on...)

Thank you too. I love maple syrup and would love to try your version too.

For a 9x13 pan

6 c oats

1/2-1 c maple syrup. I use roughly 1/2 c so it's not too sweet

4 t baking powder

2 t salt

2 t cinnamon

2 c milk

1/2 c butter, melted

4 eggs

Mix all ingredients and pour into 9x13 pan. Bake 35-40 minutes at 350.'

This is the doubled version of a recipe I adapted. I kept the butter at 1/2 c to keep the cost down. You could double it. I have tried it and didn't notice much difference.

If making ahead of time, I like to take the pan out of the fridge 15-20 minutes before baking so the pan doesn't crack in the hot oven.

Do you have the WW points for that?

(Liz, I'm joking...there is a "thing" on the Internet (not necessarily here) that happens when people post recipes. Sometimes people change all the major components for a recipe and then complain that it didn't turn out well. Or they'll ask the recipe poster how to make white flour cinnamon rolls gluten free. Or they'll ask for metric measurements...it goes on and on...)

Geez. I fell for it. But I am so glad you are not poisoning yourself with Splenda!!!  :lol:

Made my usual lacto-fermented version yesterday. It was perfect for a cool, fall morning. This morning's breakfast was easy-peasy as there were leftovers since ds is the only one who eats it. Thanks for the reminder to make this. Sometimes I add dried cherries and dark chocolate chunks to it. Also very popular.