Menu

I made THE baked oatmeal!

KungFuPanda

Yep, Mrs. Mungo's baked oatmeal. I'm in the club now :-) I needed an easy, yummy, but cheap dish for a crowd and this was perfect. I made one tray following the recipe exactly and another with puréed bananas and some almonds added. Three people have requested the recipe.

Here it is again, because it would be mean to talk about it and not share :-). I didn't even test it first. I just made two trays this morning and let it bake while I got ready for co-op. I've already decided that the next tray will get some apples and walnuts! Maybe pumpkin and spices!

THANKS Mrs. Mungo!!!

------------------------------------

Copied from another thread. Mrs Mungo speaking here:

Here is my baked oatmeal recipe:

3 cups oatmeal

3/4 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup butter

2 eggs

2 cups milk

1 teaspoon vanilla

2 teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoon salt

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Mix all ingredients together (I soften the butter and cut it into the dry ingredients before mixing in the wet ingredients) and pour into 13 x 9 inch buttered pan.

Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes.

I add chopped almonds and blueberries and/or bananas after it's finished cooking.

Eta: You can add an extra egg or two, if you are looking to up the calories and/or protein. It won't change the texture or anything.

Edited by Mrs Mungo, 27 July 2012 - 10:37 AM.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think of it as a cake mix. How many people does a cake serve? As for consistence, it's as easy to eat as coffee cake. Use a plate and fork. It's moist, but not wet. If I had this for breakfast with some fruit and a few sausage links, I think we'd have some leftovers. Eaten alone, I think it would be just enough for my family of four.

I heat milk, sugar, and cinnamon in a saucepan and serve it in a bowl with the hot milk poured over it.

Dawn

Think of it as a cake mix. How many people does a cake serve? As for consistence, it's as easy to eat as coffee cake. Use a plate and fork. It's moist, but not wet. If I had this for breakfast with some fruit and a few sausage links, I think we'd have some leftovers. Eaten alone, I think it would be just enough for my family of four.

I'll add that I bought the oats just a few days ago. I was looking for "rolled oats" because I could have sworn this was written on the box. However, the box just said "old-fashioned" or "whole grained" on it. I just got the canister that didn't say "one minute" on it.

I'll add that I bought the oats just a few days ago. I was looking for "rolled oats" because I could have sworn this was written on the box. However, the box just said "old-fashioned" or "whole grained" on it. I just got the canister that didn't say "one minute" on it.

That is rolled oats. :-)

That is rolled oats. :-)

I know that, but I could have sworn the packaging used to SAY "rolled oats" on it. I've been buying steel cut for so so long that everything changed in the oatmeal aisle while I wasn't looking. I started to get paranoid that I was looking at a shelf full on instant variety and that 'regular' oats had ceased to exist. Did I imagine it? Did the package never say 'rolled oats' in it?

I have used both quick oats and old fashioned oats with the same result, so you can use whatever you have on hand.  As far as subbing the dates for sugar, I am not sure that would work...I have experimented with decreasing the amount of sugar, and once I get below 1/2 cup the oatmeal gets very crumbly and does not hold together well.  It does taste good with chopped dates in it though; in fact, that is my son's favorite add-in (I usually cook it with the dried or fresh fruit mixed in it).

I, too, always receive compliments and requests for the recipe every time I take it to a get-together or serve it to guests.  Every. Single. Time.

I started with a different base recipe but then tinkered it until I had something that tastes good and is pretty nutritious. So my recipe also has 3 cups oats (I use old fashioned), but only 1/3 cup brown sugar, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 cup applesauce instead of butter/oil, 2 tsp cinnamon for a flavor boost, 1 cup milk so it's probably firmer than this one, still has 2 tsp baking powder and two eggs, and I add either a peeled, cored, diced apple or 1-2 cups frozen blueberries. Sometimes I sub a little soy protein powder in for some oats (~1/3 cup). I also make it in a greased 8x8 pan and cut it into 8 servings. If anyone wants the complete recipe or nutrition facts, I can pull that from my fitness pal I think. Good stuff--it's a standard breakfast for me.

ETA--I was working from memory--just corrected it to 2 eggs.  Everything else is right--I bake it 40-45 minutes at 350°--closer to 45 with frozen blueberries, closer to 40 for fresh apple.

Made this yesterday morning for my crew to eat while I was at an early morning appointment.  My ds, the tube-fed for 2.5 years, barely eats anything outside of about 10 foods, textures make him gag, boy LOVED it.  He told me it was the best oatmeal he's ever eaten.  :D  Thanks so much for this recipe!

I mix my oats with plain yogurt and let them sit for 6-12 hours before baking. It's great. You can also add canned or fresh toasted pumpkin and add some ginger, cloves and nutmeg. I usually have some sort of dried fruit in mine if not doing it with pumpkin- raisins, cherries, cranberries. Thin fresh apple slices also work well.

Eaten enthusiastically even by those who don't like oatmeal.

I don't like oatmeal at all, but I really enjoyed this. 

These posts give me hope. There are some things I don't like and I'm okay with it, but for some reason I really want to like oatmeal, and I periodically try it again. I might have to try this recipe. If I still don't like it, I'm sure my guys will eat it.

I wonder what would happen if I used regular Splenda instead of brown sugar?

Yes, I know Splenda may be bad for me and I rarely use it, but I can't use sugar. In fact I'm am supposed to use even artificial sweeteners very little. But oatmeal without sweetener is blah. Although I sure prefer brown sugar with oatmeal, when I make it, I normally use Stevia. It has a bit of an odd taste, though, and I don't think I'd want to bake with it, even if you can. I have baked with regular Splenda upon occasion and sometimes it worked fairly well and sometimes, it was a failure.

Does any one know how it would do in this or have other advice?

Made THEE recipe for the first time this morning.  I did it exactly as the Mrs. Mungo's original recipe except added diced apple.  I was surprised it didn't turn out like a coffee cake consistency as someone suggested.  But then I ate it very soon after it came out of the oven.  About a half hour after that, my dh went back for seconds and he told me it had firmed up more.  I guess I was a little to anxious to eat it!  I think I'll try the other suggested recipe with the applesause and less surgar to see which I like best. 

I do have a question regarding the original recipe.  If you melted the butter and added it in to the dry ingredients, would it turn out the same?  I found cutting in the butter tiresome and I was wondering if melting the butter and just stirring it in would work.  I'm all for making things easier . . . especially in the morning.

Ok, I'm wanting to make this, this morning, but I'm wondering about cutting down the amount of sugar and butter. I saw that one can reduce the sugar to about 1/2 a cup, but what about the butter? Any thoughts on that?

Thanks! And thank to whoever posted the link to the Well Trained Kitchen. That's been bookmarked for future reference :).

I started with a different base recipe but then tinkered it until I had something that tastes good and is pretty nutritious. So my recipe also has 3 cups oats (I use old fashioned), but only 1/3 cup brown sugar, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 cup applesauce instead of butter/oil, 2 tsp cinnamon for a flavor boost, 1 cup milk so it's probably firmer than this one, still has 2 tsp baking powder and two eggs, and I add either a peeled, cored, diced apple or 1-2 cups frozen blueberries. Sometimes I sub a little soy protein powder in for some oats (~1/3 cup). I also make it in a greased 8x8 pan and cut it into 8 servings. If anyone wants the complete recipe or nutrition facts, I can pull that from my fitness pal I think. Good stuff--it's a standard breakfast for me.

ETA--I was working from memory--just corrected it to 2 eggs.  Everything else is right--I bake it 40-45 minutes at 350°--closer to 45 with frozen blueberries, closer to 40 for fresh apple.

Could I make this the night before and reheat in 15 minutes in the morning?  I don't have 45 minutes in the morning to get it baked.

We have a large cooking apple tree, so I need to get some apple sauce made for this recipe - it sounds good.

L