Menu

book report: Morris Goes to School

La Texican

Almost 6 yr. old, late birthday kinder. He's been educated since about age 3, with handwriting and phonics and math. I helped him similar to the way any parent would help with homework. I said, tell me the story of Morris Goes to school and pretend like I've never heard it before. I also prompted him with the questions, "did someone say something or do something next?" We're doing WWE, so I expect improvement by the end of the year. You can see he started off using the right capitalization and punctuation and lost it somewhere by the end. The letters all faced the right way, thank you HWT.

Morris Goes to School

He went to the fish store when he wanted candy. He said can't you read? then he showEd him the candy store. morris whent to school and lrnd. he lrnd the ofabend. (alphabet) (learned)

It sounds like he has a good grasp of how the story flows.  Was this an oral narration that he then wrote down later?  Normally the progression of narrations is that it is oral with the teacher/mom writing it down, then gradually it will move into a written narration.  Even once you hit written narrations the writing down of the story is separate from working on spelling and mechanics, which is done later as revisions.  

He has had lessons (phonics, tracing letters, "how to draw", hwt...) since about age 3, so his handwriting is strong. He's been doing one oral narration which I write down every week or so, and he's hand copying one sentence from the book onto those reports. I'm still going to stick with that format, but now and then I think I'll ask him to write his own report. I agree with the concept that keeping the work oral reinforces building stronger sentences so they don't make skimpy sentences to try to get out of writing so much.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Huh, I missed the spam. Thanks guys. I came to post a cute funny. He's walking through the complete writer. He's supposed to summarize the story of the fox and the stork in two sentences. He said, "The fox and the stork play tricks on each other." Then he tried to describe the tricks, but this is supposed to be a two sentence summary. I said, "the first sentence is good, let's use the moral of the story as the next sentence.

"What's that?"

"What the story's supposed to teach you."

"Oh, the story's supposed to teach me writing."

He ended up with:

"The fox and the stork played tricks on each other. Don't play tricks on your neighbor unless you want the same feeling back."

I just wanted to share the cute story.