Menu

Classical Conversations

Christine in FL

I'd been reading about CC on the boards for several years and hoping that one would start in my area (Tulsa, OK). When a group didn't magically appear, I started one, and I am awed by the results! It is rigorous, but attainable, and the kids are eager to do the work. It provides the outside structure and accountability that keeps us focused, and it provides moms and kids a sense of support and community. The Essentials class for the older kids which encompasses IEW writing, CC's grammar curriculum, and "math slam" (competitive math games) is first-rate. We drive over an hour to get there, and it's well worth the time and money! There is a lot of good info on the website, www.classicalconversations.com, including some audio clips of the speeches from the founder where she describes the program.

HTH!

My df is using this with her kiddos--it's a challenging program that helps with the memory work the classical method employs to create the "pegs" on which to hang deeper info later. I don't agree with some of the things they choose to memorize, but my quibbles are very few, and I'd love my own dd to be able to do it, but I don't want to teach it, and we can't afford it otherwise. Df's eldest is in 5th grade, and I have to say that his grammar class at CC is just incredible. It makes sense, it's very wisely written, and he is doing well. I think CC is a great program.

We have participated in a new CC Foundations program this year (and I have tutored). I have enjoyed the new friendships and fellowships. I'm glad for my kids to have opportunities to speak infront of their peers. I like *some* of the memory work. We will likely not participate next year because I will have a newborn. So with that disclosure, I'll tell you what some of the negatives have been for us - not because I want to talk you out of it, but so you can consider whether these things matter to you. To me, giving up one day of the week has been a big sacrifice. I really miss having 5 days for academics - especially for my 3rd grader (not quite as important for my K-er). I do agree with pp that the memory work is *doable* - but at what cost? I've already given up a day of school and now I need to spend 20 mins. or more a day on memory work - some of which I'm not crazy about. I feel like I'm taking too much time and energy away from more important core skills. I guess I have to say that my view of memory work has changed during the year. I still feel that memory work has it's place, just more limited than what CC does. So you might consider how you feel about memory work and how important it is to you in the scheme of your other school work.

As far as Essentials goes - I can't really speak to that since we didn't do it. But it seems like people either love it or hate it - so my advice is to look very carefully at the essentials manual when you get a chance and see if you like the way grammar is taught or is it completely different from the approach you've been using.

One other *apology* - I'm sure the fact that I've been pregnant this year hasn't helped how I feel about the burden of the memory work - many things have become a burden that might not normally have been because of severe morning sickness. Overall I would have no problem with my kids doing Foundations during K, 1st or 2nd grade, but after that I really feel we needed 5 days for our "at home" academics. Please don't forget we have had fun, we have made good friends, we have enjoyed the art projects, we love to sing the history songs. CC does have some really great things to offer.

All that I've said may only apply to your 10 yr. old. Your other sons would be ready for the Challenge programs (I think) - so do you know if they are starting Challenge programs in your area? I'm guessing it would be rare for a new Foundations program to also start a Challenge program the same year - but you never know.

Hope that helps.