Menu

Tell me about RightStart (Level E, if possible).

Veritaserum

My 8yo is very bright and often thinks up ways of doing math problems that hadn't occurred to me but work. She did Math Mammoth through 3B, but asked to switch to CLE this year (level 400) because she liked the idea of more varied topics (her older sister has used CLE for several years). She isn't happy with it, though, and complains every time.

I'm wondering about switching her to something completely different and hands on. RightStart looks like it could be a good fit. She would start at Level E according to the placement test. We have the math games set. I wondered about just playing the games more but continuing with a workbook-based approach like MM or CLE, but my hunch is that the hands-on approach of RightStart would be better for her.

I would love to hear about your experiences with RightStart. Has anyone done levels E and G? I'm thinking that if RS is good for her, she could do Foerster's Algebra after Level G and get into a few semesters of calculus before college. I see a math or engineering future for her and want to make sure she has a solid foundation.

I really like RightStart and we've used it since the beginning - we're in level E now but I'm not sure how easy it is to jump into RightStart at that level. But I guess that's what the Transition Lessons are for. :)

Now, when you say hands-on, do you mean in regards to using manipulatives or to the one-on-one teaching needed?  I'm finding that there's less use of manipulatives as you go - which makes sense since the older children get the less concrete work they need, they're ready to move on to more abstract. You'll still be using the abacus, the drawing board and tools (these are used quite often), and card games in this level - all the other manipulatives not so much.

If you mean hands-on in regards to one-on-one instruction then Level E, so far for us, has been just as teacher intensive as the other levels. All lessons are taught be you then there's usually a worksheet for the student to complete.

Oh, one other note - I've seen it recommended quite often that you play all the fraction games. There are lessons on fractions but playing all the games really rounds it out. I'm finding that the games are really a necessary part of this level (we slacked off in the games department for level D but I don't plan to with level E).

I haven't used Level G yet, but plan to. RightStart suggests that you use it along with Videotext - taking 2 years to finish Module A and level G - doing a bit of each each week. I'm looking at using Level G with Lial's Essential Mathematics spread over two years (5th and 6th grade) before moving on to PreA/Algebra. I think...

Hope this helps! If you have anymore questions about Level E I'll try to answer them.

I found a YouTube video explaining level E. It said that there's a lesson, a game, and a worksheet. I suppose I mean interactive rather than necessarily hands-on. She does well with discussion, talking things out. That's how I know that she has come up with a different way of answering a problem. She thinks out loud. :)

Is RightStart fun? Do your kids enjoy it? She needs more fun and less drudgery in her required schoolwork.

I'm only 2/3 done with C with DS9. We've done RS from the beginning and love it. It does sound like a good fit for your DD (though, like I said, I've only done C!) Just today DS had to come up with three ways to find the area of a shape that was made up of two different-sized rectangles. RS encourages the teacher NOT to tell the student how to do a problem, rather the student is encouraged to tell the teacher how he did it. Yesterday I had to make a 4'7" x 5'8" (or something like that) rectangle on the floor with tape, give DS a 12" ruler, a calculator, a pencil, and a scrap piece of paper, and he had to find the perimeter without suggestions from me. (In the interest of full disclosure, DS is an aspie and was overwhelmed, so I did give him one hint: mark the ft on the tape. He took off from there, though!) We love the games, but only play them when they're scheduled. If there are two days set aside in the lesson book for games, we'll only play once or twice on the first day, then use the extra day to catch up or take a break. 

I found a YouTube video explaining level E. It said that there's a lesson, a game, and a worksheet. I suppose I mean interactive rather than necessarily hands-on. She does well with discussion, talking things out. That's how I know that she has come up with a different way of answering a problem. She thinks out loud. :)

Is RightStart fun? Do your kids enjoy it? She needs more fun and less drudgery in her required schoolwork.

My daughter thinks it's fun (honestly, some days though I'd just like to hand her a worksheet! :) ) and it is a program where you discuss and interact - that's another draw for my daughter. So yes, if your daughter likes the interaction and she likes to discuss math then she'll like RightStart. If she were the type who just says give me the facts and let me finish the page then she would not like this program - but your daughter sounds a lot like mine! :) Good luck with your decision.

I'm using RS E with my 8 year old. 

Here's a typical RightStart sequence (what we did Wed, Thurs, Fri):

Wed: cut out parallelograms, see that they make rectangles (this is all basically done with me hands off), derive A=Base*altitude, talk about what the word altitude means, find area of 4 different parallelograms, two of whom are related but rotated

Thurs: cut parallelograms in half two different ways, realize that is triangles, derive formula for triangle area as discussed with mom, find area of bunch of triangles in cm and inches. Uses decimal multiplication, but not taught rule yet, taught to estimate and then put in decimal where appropriate

Fri: find area of more triangles

Is this exciting to you? Then go RightStart. Does this sound annoying and scattered, do something else. :-) I think it is really cool that my eight year old figured out the formula for triangle area on his "own" and that he understands it. :-) Some people just want the info.

I find I need to introduce the lesson for about 5-10 minutes and then be available to talk about work or check it later. It isn't that intensive for me.

Emily