Menu

Could someone please help review my MCT Island level order ...

mathnerd

I am about to place an order for MCT Island level books. My son is 6 years old and he will start on this next year. I want to order MCT Island level right now because it gives me time to go through the books and prepare a lesson plan. I would love to keep the list of books to the minimum to keep costs low.

From reading a multitude of posts on this forum and following advise from people on only using the TM for certain things, here is my tentative order list. I would like to know if I can get away with this list.

Can I please get some advise on what I am missing from this list or if something is not really necessary?

Grammar Island. Teacher Manual - 7992

Sentence Island Teacher Book - 6690

Practice Island, One Hundred Four-level Analysis Sentences: Student Workbook - 6805

Practice Island, One Hundred Four-level Analysis Sentences: Teacher Manual - 6812

Music Of the Hemispheres, Teacher Manual - 6570

Building Language: Teacher Manual - 585X

Thank you!

I am about to place an order for MCT Island level books. My son is 6 years old and he will start on this next year. I want to order MCT Island level right now because it gives me time to go through the books and prepare a lesson plan. I would love to keep the list of books to the minimum to keep costs low.

From reading a multitude of posts on this forum and following advise from people on only using the TM for certain things, here is my tentative order list. I would like to know if I can get away with this list.

Can I please get some advise on what I am missing from this list or if something is not really necessary?

Grammar Island. Teacher Manual - 7992

Sentence Island Teacher Book - 6690

Practice Island, One Hundred Four-level Analysis Sentences: Student Workbook - 6805

Practice Island, One Hundred Four-level Analysis Sentences: Teacher Manual - 6812

Music Of the Hemispheres, Teacher Manual - 6570

Building Language: Teacher Manual - 585X

Thank you!

I think your list looks fine.  I bought the Basic Pkg and the only thing different from your list that it had was the Grammar Island student book.  But, you can get away with just the teachers manual for it (the only difference really is the little blurbs or bubbles with some teachers words...shouldn't be a problem if your son doesn't mind sitting with you and sharing the same book).  I have yet to start our Grammar Island....hopefully this week.  So...I am in no way a Grammar Island expert by any means...but I might just mention that 7 years old may be a bit young to start this.  My daughter will be turning 10 next week...and while this seems a bit higher than the recommended age suggestion...I think it's going to be perfect for her.

PS...there is a Grammar Island schedule floating around, made by SatoriSmiles.  I tweaked it a bit to be a little closer to the recommendation of the author (my pkg arrived with a paper explaining when to start each book).

ETA: Here is the schedule (why reinvent the wheel?).  Here's another one I just found...I haven't compared the two yet to see how similar they are.

Thanks you so much AprilMay. I can use all those schedules that you posted to shorten my work of planning for MCT. The real reason I am buying MCT early is because all the raves on this forum and the samples online on RFP website have made me very eager to start on this curriculum! And it is mostly to pique my curiosity. But, since you seem to think that 7 is really early for MCT and I know that my child is a highly reluctant writer right now, I may have to rethink my strategy of starting at 7 years old. Your feedback was really helpful.

Just chiming in, my dd is 7 and is doing quite well with this. She did however learn a lot of this doing most of Logic of English last year. We just finished the Grammer Island book and she whined that its too easy and she wants to do Town which is what her almost 10 year old brother is doing. I am not going to let her, but I wouldn't hold back just based on age recommendations. The ones on RFWP website are mainly for a classroom setting. I spoke with them extensively at a conference and they assured me it can be just fine for some 7 year olds. If you're convinced you want to use this program, I would say give it a try. Even if you have to go slowly. In the town level, sometimes, we only do a page a day of grammar town (like gerund phrases) and then linger until ds understands them inside and out.

I think your list looks good. You *might* be able to only buy the teachers book of practice island if you do the sentences on a white board or place a piece of paper over the answers and do your analysis on it. I think it's worth a little more to just have the student book for convenience of not having to do that :)

Good luck!

Thank you mom2pandc for going through my list and giving me your feedback. I am so grateful to be able to get the opinions of people who have btdt on this board about all these fabulous curriculum choices. I have seen a few older posts that some parents started GI early - it is good to know that your DD is is doing so well with GI. We arejust working on FLL2 and I was hoping to move on to MCT after that.

I already love MCT so much from all of the reviews on this forum and I am just going to place my order :) I will buy the books and read through them for a bit myself and then test the waters to see if my DS is ready for them.