Menu

Newfoundland Puppy~ She's here!

AnIslandGirl

Eek, she's coming next week and we still don't have a name picked out.

We live on an island and we love to travel to warm destinations, but are really stumped on nautical or tropical names fitting for a huge dog. If you have any suggestions at all, I'd love to hear them!

So far the front runners are:

Happy

Sula (pronounced soo-la meaning little she-bear)

Sadie

Maya

She's here! Updated picture in post #24.

happy_zpsdc139c42.jpg

Tallulah - I love that name and it means Leaping Water in Choctaw.  I would probably call her Lulah.

Nalu means ocean wave in Hawaiian.

Of the ones you have listed, I like Sula the best.  It means little bear by the water in Hawaiian, too, which is adorable for her.

Awww, what a cutie.  I grew up with Newfies, and there's nothing like them.  

I like Sunny or names from your favorite books.  If we had gotten a Nova Scotia duck tolling retriever, he or she would have been Trumpkin or Crumpet after Narnia characters (or the snack), but those are names for a more petite dog, not a Newf.  Of the ones you've listed, I also like Sula best.

You know you must post pics when you get her.  Board rules.

Nui meaning something like big or great in Hawaiian

Splash is our dog's name he's a Portuguese water dog though

Calypso and Sundance were on our list along with Bubbles

Keona

I really like Sula as well. She looks really sweet. Love the breed, just can't deal with the hair.

Thank you so much everyone for all of these wonderful suggestions! We pick her up Wednesday night, and it feels like the anticipation of Christmas Eve as a child.

I am having so much fun researching name meanings, and these suggestions all fit perfectly. We stumbled on a town in Newfoundland named Happy-Adventure ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_Adventure ) that may have been named after a pirate ship, so Happy is still a front runner too. I'm sure once we see her it will make the naming so much easier, but at least now we have a wonderful list to pick from!

Thank you again!

• 1 month later...
Guest SulaTheNewfie

Hi - Congrats on your new puppy!   

My name is Sula!  And I too am a brown, female Newfoundland puppy.  I am 11 months old.  It is a derivation from Ursula (Norweigan - not Hawaiian like somewhere on the web says - there is no "s" in the Hawaiian language.  Mom grew up there, so she should know).  In fact, "Ursula" is used a lot in kennel names and newfoundland dog names in Europe frequently. 

Have you had a Newf before? 

Unfortunately, I am diabled with something uncommon in Newfs.  I just launched my website, www.sulathenewfie.com this last weekend to educate people about it. 

If youi aren't already, I highly recommend you join some of the Newf forums on Facebook.  They provide a lot of info on Newf puppy rearing, and the Newfoundland Club of America also has a good puppy section too.

If you have any questions, please feel free contact me at sulathenewfie@gmail.com

Please continue to share pictures!!!  Newf puppies are the cutest!!!

Tallulah - I love that name and it means Leaping Water in Choctaw.  I would probably call her Lulah.

Nalu means ocean wave in Hawaiian.

Of the ones you have listed, I like Sula the best.  It means little bear by the water in Hawaiian, too, which is adorable for her.

flawless logic! Sula.

What a beautiful dog!!!!! Newfies are my favorite breed (except they grow too big for my house). Enjoy your new animal!

Hi - Congrats on your new puppy!

My name is Sula! And I too am a brown, female Newfoundland puppy. I am 11 months old. It is a derivation from Ursula (Norweigan - not Hawaiian like somewhere on the web says - there is no "s" in the Hawaiian language. Mom grew up there, so she should know). In fact, "Ursula" is used a lot in kennel names and newfoundland dog names in Europe frequently.

Have you had a Newf before?

Unfortunately, I am diabled with something uncommon in Newfs. I just launched my website, www.sulathenewfie.com this last weekend to educate people about it.

If youi aren't already, I highly recommend you join some of the Newf forums on Facebook. They provide a lot of info on Newf puppy rearing, and the Newfoundland Club of America also has a good puppy section too.

If you have any questions, please feel free contact me at sulathenewfie@gmail.com

Please continue to share pictures!!! Newf puppies are the cutest!!!

Seriously impressed here. 11 months? Not human? Your language skills are amazing among other things.