Menu

This is why I don't jump on every HSLDA bandwagon newsalert:

mommaduck

So homeschoolers anonymous? Like Alcoholics Anonymous?

While, like so many others, I don't agree with the scare tactics and the political maneuvering of HSLDA, the blog post was all over the place with the hate. The writer threw fundamental Christians, messianic jews, homeschoolers, midwives, quiverful, and home births under the bus.

HSLDA was wrong for not investigating the group before giving them their clout. It is good that the kids have been removed and the cult is under investigation. The rest of the post sounds just as bad as some of the HSLDA warnings I've read. The only difference is that HSLDA is the target.

There are other sites you could go to. Yes, certain items are not specific to cults. The point was that you can't just jump and toss money at HSLDA every time they say there is "homeschooling persecution"....especially when they are butting their nose in in other countries and have encouraged "fugitive" actions to further dramatize the issue.

I live around the corner from a 12 tribes house and I have a friend who escaped them. My friend didn't escape the branch of 12 tribes that is in my town though. I find them concerning.

My dh is constantly approached by men in the cult, but they stay away from me. It could be that the men in the cult don't speak to women not in the cult, or I just don't look like their target audience. They run a restaurant in town but I won't set foot in there. I won't give money to them.

edited to add: I am not surprised that HSLDA supports them. 12 tribes is a fundamentalist christian group. Their philosophy is in line with HSLDA. 12 Tribes has been accused of abusing kids many times and they seem to manage to beat the charges. They claim it is religious persecution.

There are other sites you could go to. Yes, certain items are not specific to cults. The point was that you can't just jump and toss money at HSLDA every time they say there is "homeschooling persecution"....especially when they are butting their nose in in other countries and have encouraged "fugitive" actions to further dramatize the issue.

I agree. One must do one's on research prior to becoming affiliated with any group. Due diligence and all that.

That post itself is proof of that. It was just as hard to take the writer seriously as it is to take those HSLDA alerts seriously. Lots of emotional manipulation in both.

Well, considering how saturated the HS world is with H$lda's freakouts, etc., not to mention the offensive assumption that they speak for all homeschoolers (not a quote, but that is how they present themselves), I can see where it might be hard to contain a certain level of vitriol when writing about them. 

I wish that some groups would not keep proving my negative gut reactions to them totally valid.